paid video game testing

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by podunk1269, Jun 8, 2008.

Jun 8, 2008

paid video game testing by podunk1269 at 4:40 PM (1,356 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. podunk1269
    OP

Member podunk1269 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ok I have been beta testing since Ulitma online. I love doing it, I love gaming. I found http://www.igametester.com/, but they want 35USD just to refer you, and all the other offers I have found are fake. so my question is: How does one really get a job, paid, as a video game tester?

please link me or something

2. Alerek

Member Alerek GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Your best bet is to apply at the game companies corporate office, IE Ninty in Washington, EA in CA, etc. Its usually a highly sought after position, most of those companies don't look for people to employ to test one game.

And the chances of an employed game tester giving up that job for any reason are, well, I'm sure you can imagine how rare that happens.

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/tester.jsp

Your best bet is to find the closest company to you, or move near one you like, and start blowing up their "I need a job!" lines. Check those companies sites, usually under the corporate section to find job info.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

Oh, and working at a game store is pretty fun, but really far away from testing games for cash [​IMG]

Meh, just recalled there was a book, How to get a job in video games or something to that effect, was for sale in Gamestops..I read that bad boy cover to cover, it was written by the Penny Arcade guys I think, so its pretty funny as well as informative. I'd suggest finding a copy of that and reading it, because there are indeed quite a spread of available video game jobs out there, just have to know what to look for.

3. podunk1269
    OP

United States
    the area i am moving to there isn't really much in the way of majro companies for testing, but I have worked at a gamestop and loved it

4. Alerek

Member Alerek GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Unfortunately, most companies don't do out-of-house testing, just to avoid those obvious potential piracy and leak issues. The only companies that really do are those making MMOs (like you described...now that I think about it, MMOs work in reverse, as most people are willing to pay to play the beta before buying the game..), or some third-party shovelware type stuff. Any respectable company will make sure their work doesn't get out before its finished, and thats just a step they need to take.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm not located near anything remotely cool as far as game developers, my only hope is to snag the coveted Nintendo or Microsoft representative position....I know both of them, and I know they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

5. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Rule of thumb: Never pay to work. Especially if the offer in online, because you know it's bullshit then.

A game tester does more than play games, you must know how to actually fix the bugs in the game, so programming skills is usually required. Plus the games you play are as buggy as hell, and you only play certain parts of them (so if there's a story then tough luck). Remove all the misconceptions you have about a tester as a dream job and then think about whether or not you want to become one.

6. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Also, not every game you'll be testing is going to be a far cry 2 or Fallout 3...

7. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    oh btw, video game testing isn't all fun and games
    they have to play like the same levels over and over again
    to test out the bugs and stuff
    they dont get to enjoy the game as much as we'd think they do

8. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Video game testing would be the perfect job for me and my OCD, I very often find bugs in commercial games.

9. podunk1269
    OP

United States
    i know all of those things lol I have beta several games before, but thanks for all the feedback. I have never paid to beta, never will. But I would love to get paid to test, and yes I have tested some shitty shitty games moon tycoon ugh

10. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    Game tester isn't really a good job even though there's the obvious illusion of "you play games and get paid".
    It's basically a small factory. They tell you things like "when the game asks you to press A, press B and see if anything goes wrong. Then press X, Y, Z, sigma, your ass and stuff" and that's what you do for like 8 hours.

I don't know if major game companies have better testing environment but I'd rather get a different job and pay to play.

11. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Compared to what testers have to play, a beta version is the definition of perfection. That's why most game betas are open to the public.

12. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Send a resume to the company via the website or through (if you do know) someone. Paying is not needed as I used to do it. I scoured local places and posted resumes over email and got a few bites but the one that sunk was Midway when I was in San Diego and was there almost 2 years until their long years of sucking caught up and they began layoffs and into the downward spiral of losses and firings ever since.

And don't be kidding yourself, the job isn't that fun as it's a good 6 or 7days a week and in time you'll be happy to see an 8hour day. A lot of people just up and quit if they can't take that crap or because they've got sick of it and fished around for another place that pays a bit nicer or won't neglect learned skills.

...oh and by the way ignore that guy above a 'real' beta runs like crap and has plenty of bugs in it. The stuff you test for companies is considered a release candidate, a public very late beta and it's out there because on PC there are so many configs the company can't afford to hire a 1000 people and make a 1000different setups. You're basically playing a tester final release while they work out the kinks if a certain video card they don't have got hosed or something.

13. Gman 101

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    This DOES exist. I know someone who works as a games tester for Take2 in Sydney. He has to write many many many reports, BUT he gets to play loads of games and get GTAIV early.

14. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    Generally testing is handled by the publisher rather than the developer, especially towards the end of the development cycle.
    I hope never to be a games tester, but will take it up if I can't break into the industry any other way.

15. Triforce

Member Triforce GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I done it for Sony at the start of the PS2 era, for me it was just overtime that i done at home separate from my main job at the Sony repair center. They would hand us like 50 gold disks, each one was labeled with a different serial number and we had to play each disk for a certain amount of time, weird i know.

They would also give us a list of objectives to carry out in the games we were testing, sometimes this was like a fucking huge manual. The worst time i had was with some shitty flight sim that came out around the euro PS2 launch date, i cant even remember the name of it now. They would check your memory card at the end of each session to see if you really did complete game and fully test it etc.

After a while the testing got outsourced to another company and i stopped getting paid overtime for it. Was pretty good while it lasted though because i was doing it in my spare time at home.