Newcomer
Trophies
Website
illteteka.itch.io
XP
Country
United States
HOMEBREW REQUEST!

So I've been trying to port Flite, a lightweight text-to-speech application to 3DS but I've been hitting walls with trying to build it. Interestingly enough, there's a NDS port of an older version of Flite in the form of MyDSReader. I'm working on a 3DS homebrew game where I would like character's speech to be read in realtime by Flite, (Flite can generate .wav files).

There's one C file, something to do with sockets which breaks from it's current implementation of it. I've included a fix for it which just disables this functionality, it's located in \flite-2.0.0-release\src\utils\. ---> http://pastebin.com/CTmkM9kG

Here's a video of MyDSReader:

Please note that I would be willing to pay the first person who can get Flite to build and run with ctrulib and devkitPro... a whopping $20 + change into your Paypal account, but I need to be able to build and use your implementation of it.

Sorry if something like this isn't allowed here, mods feel free to take down this post if that's the case.

hoksyjp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
illteteka.itch.io
XP
Country
United States
@jsa I kept running into errors like "ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to xxxxxxxxxx" before finishing building. Eventually it stoped but didn't give any sort of positive affirmation that it did build correctly (which I guess could be normal) But, I wouldn't know how to add new libraries to crtulib. Any attempts I made to modifying the makefile / main.c, it wouldn't recognize the flite commands I had added (even after ensuring flite.h was included) It would be great if a general purpose guide existed for adding C libraries to 3DS, but bearing in mind that if there's any actual porting of Flite, I wouldn't want to do any work, like rewriting C code. However, that shouldn't be an issue considering the NDS port of Flite worked without modification of the souce (to my knowledge). I contacted the guy who did the NDS port and his source code seemed incomplete on the actual DS end of things.

If in the end no one takes me up on this homebrew bounty, I'd probably just make some sort of shitty make shift TTS application, it's nbd but it wouldn't be necessarily understandable.

jsa

Trophies
Website
muffinti.me
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@hoksyjp The errors you're getting sound like errors you'd get if you haven't linked the library ;)
You need to build Flite as a Portlib; this is reasonably simple, however I can walk you through this on Skype or Discord (josh.kelly[twenty-seven in numbers]@outlook.com / thejsa#7237 on https://discord.gg/YGyTThH (/r/3dshacks Discord, tag me on the #dev channel)).

Generalised instructions:
Code:
./configure --prefix=$(PORTLIBS_PATH)/armv6k --host=arm-none-eabi --disable-shared --enable-static
in a Bash prompt in the Flite source directory (the one with a configure file in it), then
Code:
make && make install

Last edited by jsa, , Reason: Used BBCode rather than Markdown (I've used Discord way too much now, ahah)
D

Deleted User

Pls can som1 place here source demo poc code and cia build? Id like to use it in my future projects (planned)

hoksyjp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
illteteka.itch.io
XP
Country
United States
I think I've made the best homebrew ever made... great audio.

https://mega.nz/#!e0wGiQDS!Lm9L8kDqUhkRq-x-_semuQGwkM7egw-xNHzx5iJGOMc

Funnily enough, when I was trying to make my own program to string together English phonemes, this was my go-to test phrase.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Pls can som1 place here source demo poc code and cia build? Id like to use it in my future projects (planned)

Oh *now* everyone's interested in this ;)

Jkjkjk if I have time tomorrow, I'll put together a little building guide, unless someone else is up to the task.

D

Deleted User

Funnily enough, when I was trying to make my own program to string together English phonemes, this was my go-to test phrase.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh *now* everyone's interested in this ;)

Jkjkjk if I have time tomorrow, I'll put together a little building guide, unless someone else is up to the task.
I meant a demo of some simple "input text and click to speak it" or somthing like that

D

Deleted User

Not with the Flite API, but you can modify the audio samples it gives you however you like. There are also other voices with other accents/languages but you have to link them in.
Hmm interesting... will be sure to take a look

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help...