Pachter: WiiU sucked in February too

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would. Mobile GPU's aren't all that strong - the ones we're using today match those we've seen in the Dreamcast/PS2, maybe slightly surpass them but that's that.

They're evolving really fast,
imagine what a tegra 7 will be able to do.

Just look at mobile CPUs and GPUs 5 years ago.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just look at mobile CPUs and GPUs 5 years ago.
My Intel XScale-based PDA was perfectly capable of emulating PSOne games at acceptable framerates. ;) I realize that they're evolving fast but so are non-mobile GPU's/CPU's - they might get close but they won't catch up or beat the WiiU's hardware in my opinion. There's a huge boundry ahead of mobile devices and that's power intake - you can only squeeze so much juice out of contemporary batteries so all the GPU's/CPU's need low power consumption rates and that bottlenecks progress greatly.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't think he's particularly wrong, or even that he hates Nintendo.
I remember a couple of years back he was a big fun of the Wii ( for first party games ) and even played some third party games like GH or RB on the Wii because graphic don't matter in those games.

Admittedly, he predicted a Wii HD around 2010, and kept telling that Nintendo should release a Wii HD to face competition, it was the only logical step for the company at that point.
Logical from a business point of view.
But Nintendo is known to do things their own way.

We kept waiting, and the Wii U came in 2012. According to Pachter, it was at least one year to late, and I couldn't blame him for saying that.
Were the Wii U released in 2010 or even 2011, it could have been riding on the Wii momentum and catch on the other platforms with more success giving players the hardware to play multi platform games of 2011 and 2012, with the PS4 and next Xbox still far, far away.

As it happened, people moved away from the Wii platform ( and for good reason, you can count on one hand decent games that came out in the last two years - 3 years ) and migrate to Xbox or even PC gaming ( the latter being me ).
Now we have the Wii U , but like he said, with the PS4 and next Xbox on the horizon and with better specs, mainstream gamers might be in doubt whether it's worth it or not, and skip on the Wii U altogether.

I'm sure I'll pick up a Wii U soon or later when the price comes down a little and more games become available, but I can't shake the feeling that were the Wii U released a bit earlier, it would have been a completely different story and it would have won over the competition with slightly higher quality ports and arguably better controls.

So I don't think Pacther has been wrong all along, and if he doesn't have faith anymore in Nintendo I can't say I blame him.
They just seem to get a lot of things wrong ( and he blames Hiwata for that ), at least from a business point of view.
Remember his a market analyst or whatever it is that he does, and he bases his comment on numbers ( just like us ) and plus he gets to meet and speak personally to game developers and publishers, so he does have some first hand info unlike the rest of us who just like to report news based on other sites' other sites' news and street talk.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
My Intel XScale-based PDA was perfectly capable of emulating PSOne games at acceptable framerates. ;) I realize that they're evolving fast but so are non-mobile GPU's/CPU's - they might get close but they won't catch up or beat the WiiU's hardware in my opinion. There's a huge boundry ahead of mobile devices and that's power intake - you can only squeeze so much juice out of contemporary batteries so all the GPU's/CPU's need low power consumption rates and that bottlenecks progress greatly.

You got a point there, I believe that mobile devices with WiiU similar specs are not that far from been released, I bet we will see mobile devices surpassing WiiU specs in the next 5 years.
My bigger concern is, why so much power o mobile devices, android and iphone apps barely use the devices power,
we may see devices with more power than WiiU, but we will probably be playing the same indie games that could be run on a calculator

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You got a point there, I believe that mobile devices with WiiU similar specs are not that far from been released, I bet we will see mobile devices surpassing WiiU specs in the next 5 years.
My bigger concern is, why so much power o mobile devices, android and iphone apps barely use the devices power,
we may see devices with more power than WiiU, but we will probably be playing the same indie games that could be run on a calculator
... At which point Nintendo will already be working on the next console.

Why the hell are you guys talking about Mobile games when it has nothing to do with this thread?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Pachter says Nintendo sucked with sales in Febuary?

dv1Txca.jpg

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
... At which point Nintendo will already be working on the next console.

Why the hell are you guys talking about Mobile games when it has nothing to do with this thread?

They probably are already working on their next-console, this does not change the fact that it's underpowered, and may soon be surpassed by android consoles such as Oyua.

this is why we were discussing mobile devices:

image(1).jpeg

Nobody really cares about Patcher anyway

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They probably are already working on their next-console, this does not change the fact that it's underpowered, and may soon be surpassed by android consoles such as Oyua.

this is why we were discussing mobile devices:

image(1).jpeg

Nobody really cares about Patcher anyway

It's not really underpowered though. It's stronger than PS3 and 360, and that's all that matters. PS4 and Nextbox has better specs? Big whoop, doesn't mean better games.

Reactions: tbgtbg

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's not really underpowered though. It's stronger than PS3 and 360, and that's all that matters. PS4 and Nextbox has better specs? Big whoop, doesn't mean better games.

It's sightly stronger than a 7 year old console, is that any good?
If we're gonna make a fair comparisson, we should compare with PS4 and nextbox.
Wii almost didn't have any third party software, and WiiU may suffer from the same.
It's architecture is very different from PS4 and PC, and it's underpowered.
With low sales, the difficulties of porting becomes excuses to not invest on a failing console.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wii almost didn't have any third party software, and WiiU may suffer from the same.
With low sales, the difficulties of porting becomes excuses to not invest on a failing console.

How about you just end it right there because you're gonna derail this thread.

Reactions: tronic307

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why is this in the USN but we avoid other analysts? We know how he is going to react cause it's the same thing every time so why keep listening and giving him the popularity to go on?

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just the other day Pachter predicted that PS4 games will cost $70 after Sony already stated they would be $60. Someone needs to tell Pachter just where he can stow his cracked crystal ball.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Judging from the PS4 presentation I don't think the PS4 is that more powerful than the Wii U... And comparing Sonic All-Star Racing for the 360 with the Transformer version for Wii U, the Wii U version seems to be way better graphically speaking. It's just my opinion though...

EDIT: Actually I realized the Xbox 360 also have a version of SASRT and they look very similar :P

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Judging from the PS4 presentation I don't think the PS4 is that more powerful than the Wii U... And comparing Sonic All-Star Racing for the 360 with the Transformer version for Wii U, the Wii U version seems to be way better graphically speaking. It's just my opinion though...

You're kidding me, right?
The difference is huge, not such as Wii-PS3, but bigger than Dreamcast-Xbox.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
He's really Pach-ing heat this time.
...and he's doing it in a sPachtercular way. :P

On a more serious note: I've got to admit I was wrong thinking he is wrong the whole time. As he demonstrates here, he's not so far off when predicting the obvious (pretty much zero games in February and no firmware update isn't the best incentive to get one).

Things will get better when Mario kart and Wind waker HD kick in. Assisted with some other games (see also: the wiiu direct before the last one), it should get things on track before those other consoles hit the market.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You're kidding me, right?
The difference is huge, not such as Wii-PS3, but bigger than Dreamcast-Xbox.

If you consider the current games for Wii U VS current games for 360/PS3 that could be right, but compare the Wii U's graphics demo with PS4's graphics demo. Either Sony made a very poor job in presenting the PS4 superiority or the PS4 is really all not that powerful. Just look at the Wii U's graphic demo, it looks amazing. The PS4 graphics demo looks better but just slightly in my opinion.

And for people who keep judging the Wii U graphics, remember that the 3DS started off as resembling Gamecube's graphics, but now it is getting close to PS360 graphics. Just search youtube for a RE 5 vs Revelations comparison ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...