Pachter Predicts Nintendo Will ‘Dreamcast Itself’ with Wii U

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
'I think that if in fact it’s a lot like an Xbox 360 in terms of graphics, frame rate and control scheme, then it’s probably not going to sell well unless it’s priced a lot cheaper, and I don’t think they’re launching the console at $150. So, yeah I think they are about to Dreamcast themselves. I don’t think Wii U is going to be as popular as probably Nintendo thinks it’s going to be.
Question is, what does Nintendo do next, and I don’t know the answer yet. Let’s see how Wii U sells, and I’m not going to predict this demise until I know pricing and features. When I know more about it, I’ll offer a better opinion.'

Wii-U-Pachter-Dreamcast.jpg

Read read the whole article at http://www.nintendol..._could_struggle

The highlighted sentence says it all about this guy :lol:

Reactions: 2 people

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Dreamcast wasn't a failure! People just failed to see the hidden jewel!

It sure wasn't. The reason why it didn't continue was because of internal problems within Sega, which led to its demise. From observations, Nintendo does not have that problem (or not nearly as bad).

Reactions: 1 person

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
System isn't out yet and Nintendo has much more money than sega at the time.

Sega was dying (and Sony pulled the plug with the PS2) but the Dreamcast wasn't the reason, this console was a real gem (and actually selling very well near the end with the price drops), Shenmue blown me away, what an amazing game, and it wasn't the only one (jet set radio, pso, crazy taxi, doa etc....)

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
When are people going to stop posting this retard's financial advice
He's always, always wrong and yet he presents everything he says about the future as an absolute fact, as if he's some sort of oracle

Reactions: 3 people

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Lol, you wish Pachter.

It will only fail if articles like this keeps popping up telling people not to buy it (like anyone would listen anyway).

X_XSlashX_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if Pachter gets off on trying to bring Nintendo down. I mean it seems these days that's all hes talking about is the WiiU. Maybe he secretly loves it and hates himself for it and so therefore tries to say anything negative about it. :huh:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not entirely sure why people are so down on this guy (well I probably do but I am playing the optimist at this point in time) and I said most of what I felt like saying in the last thread concerning him although I will reiterate that sadly it is not always sales and such that dictate share price ( http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Nintendo_%28NTDOY%29 ) which is what this guy is concerned with/paid to look at the future of with an eye to advising others on the matter.
Still I can see his logic and although I would like it not to be the case (if the wii u can edge out the other two and gain the best multiplat versions of games and maybe a few nice exclusives I will want to be there for it for the couple of years until Sony or MS release and make viable their next entries) competing against entrenched opponents is rarely a brilliant idea and especially if people looking at your business model are calling for you to try to make large amounts of growth.

As for the dreamcast if the item you intend as your main profit making venture fails to make enough money to sustain your company that would count as a failure.

SanoKeo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sega dreamcast had everything to be one leader on it's generation, pretty cook graphics, internet conection, but still, Internal sega problems, low third party support (Yeah I know it has MvC2 and that stuff but that wasn't enough), low distribution, and That's what it killed it...

Now, nintendo is getting a lot of third party support, renewing internet service, a pretty cool piece of hardware that supports (Same as xbox? well, talking about HD or FullHD a lot of people thinks that its the same or almost the same, Well, shit that, I wanna see a Xbox 360 Rendering all the stuff in the video preview that we Saw at E3...), and going for some new concepts like the controller that we still don't know what we can do with it yet (Yeah we know the basics, but remember when the wii mote was shown? It looked like crap, at least to me, now it's pretty cool, not for usual games but it's a cool piece of hardware and there's a lot of posibilities now, like Okami, Zelda Skywarsword, Xenoblade, etc), and well, let's just wait for it to come out.

We cannot say that Nintendo WiiU is gonna be the winner of it's next generation, but we cannot say it's gonna be nintendo's hardware failure, and remember, even if it's not as good as nintendo expects to be, If someone knows how to make a good comeback, it's nintendo.

Anyway, just because I love repetitions... I wonder why is people still talking about Patcher... and Yet why is he still talking about... well about everything, He's no good at predicting anything. I'm not a nintendo hardcore fan, but he just suck at predicting.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it bad that I don't even know who this guy is? One thing I wanted to point out: "Similar control scheme to 360" but...the 360 does not have a touchscreen...nor even the same type of controller. How is it similar? And with graphics, sorry guy, but graphics aren't going to get much better than this until we get some holograms running around.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you do not follow stock markets or similar especially as pertaining to computer games then there is no shame at all in not knowing who he is (even if you did he is but one pundit among many). Beyond his immediate professional duties he has a couple of game related shows over on gametrailers and appears on various news segments (usually only video news) if they need someone to talk to that should know computer games and financial markets but again gametrailers is up there with gamefaqs in terms of places to use but avoid hanging around.

As for graphics there are a few things in the pipeline but yeah I would agree as far as the man in the street is concerned we are probably going to see some rapidly diminishing returns from here on in which I hold is a good thing (it reminds me of the processor speed wars which is to say glad it happened but today seems a bit quaint) as we might see budgets to do damage fall a bit and some efforts in the actual making nice art as well as "realism".

Regarding controls are we not done with seeing companies largely forgo making motion control/touchscreen games (or maybe offering a token mechanic that uses them) in favour of using what remains of the traditional controls on those consoles?

Equally if I am not mistaken
013_NintendoController_inHands_2_610x407.jpg

Two thumbsticks, some triggers, two bumpers, same amount of buttons. Looks like a controller built to take on 360/playstation a like games to me.

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb