p1ng's Nintendo Switch hands-on impressions

Hi guys, I recorded a quick audio log of my thoughts immediately after attending the Nintendo switch hands on preview. The footage taken is from my phone and nothing special, just filler for the sake of showing what the event was like that is relooped halfway through.

I also just saw the prices of the switch peripherals and games, frankly I was disgusted. I felt that I needed to record an extra ten minutes of audio to voice my concerns. The prices for the games and accessories for the switch are purely Nintendo gouging its fanbase. Nothing can justify the prices here, in my opinion if these prices are not lowered by a good 30% across the board the switch is DOA and will fail.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
using a US account for digital purchases too from within the UK.
I dont think that'll be possible. Probably going to be a PS4 situation

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you're buying physical, no reason one couldn't buy off of the US store digitally (should have worded that a lot better)

But yeah, European physical buyers (GB, anyway) look like they're kind of getting screwed... Unless you can find someplace to actually import with super cheap shipping, I feel for you guys :c
Our government likes to tax us like shit with tech, would rather be taxed on other things imo (Carbon tax anyone?) but, I digress, having a US account on switch seems unlikely, I think the eShop itself will be region locked based on where you bought the console and the actually game slot wont (like the PS4 I believe but dont quote me on that my PS4 Pro has no out of region games.)
I really couldnt care less though, Im buying the Wii U version for now...

Last edited by TheDarkGreninja,
D

Deleted-355425

I dont think that'll be possible. Probably going to be a PS4 situation

Our government likes to tax us like shit with tech, would rather be taxed on other things imo (Carbon tax anyone?) but, I digress, having a US account on switch seems unlikely, I think the eShop itself will be region locked based on where you bought the console and the actually game slot wont (like the PS4 I believe.)

You can buy credit to buy stuff from the US store when you are based in the UK, mayeb use pre paid cards from the US? The ways around it are there :)

Molina

My title? It's gone,... like the last fuck I gave.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Our government likes to tax us like shit with tech, would rather be taxed on other things imo (Carbon tax anyone?) but, I digress, having a US account on switch seems unlikely, I think the eShop itself will be region locked based on where you bought the console and the actually game slot wont (like the PS4 I believe but dont quote me on that my PS4 Pro has no out of region games.)
I really couldnt care less though, Im buying the Wii U version for now...

The region unlock will be about multiplayer I think (yay more ping), there is no reason for them to unlock eshop. How many games forgot about that and you could aford thing cheaper by vpn swaping to Russia (where generally prices are 50% lower than EU's prices).

France like to put 20% taxe everywhere... and outer-sea department got even more mix up of taxes.
My country doesn't know how to handle taxes on new tech... They just drop their 20%...

darkten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually found out during many years of importing stuff from all over the world that sellers do not care to declare the right value and they mark them as gift. :)

This is true...but i have received more than one "resealed" package where someone obviously wanted to take a look ;)

Reactions: geodeath

Molina

My title? It's gone,... like the last fuck I gave.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Did you ever had to pay import tax because of this? Just curious... Maybe i was lucky but never had to!
Depends on your country law.
Either they can peek inside if there is no bill on the package then tax or they cannot and they have two choices, let your package be or keep it and make you come and get it with the bill.

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
I know i am probably late in the game to mention this but i just found out that the included grip for the joycons is not really going to allow you to charge them. Caution, please, i do not demand an extra battery for free, all i would really need, is the ability to charge them *while playing* which means that in case you run out of juice while playing you just plug it in and you continue on. Rather than taking them off the grip and either wait until they charge again or use the switch as a portable in the meantime...

This means another £30 down the drain from day 1. And before somebody tells me this is not necessary, i will not mention the countless times my DS4 ran out of juice and all i really had to do is just plug it in.... Nintendo, seriously, WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING???

And before someone mentions "YES BUT THE CHARGING ONE HAS A BATERY BOO HOOO" they could easily supply the same grip they do now, with a plug and NO battery. Just a though and through means... Dear lord. :nayps3:

I can see a BIG 3rd party accessory market here... I can almost smell the kickstarter coming up.

Last edited by geodeath,
Reactions: MontyQ

MontyQ

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know i am probably late in the game to mention this but i just found out that the included grip for the joycons is not really going to allow you to charge them. Caution, please, i do not demand an extra battery for free, all i would really need, is the ability to charge them *while playing* which means that in case you run out of juice while playing you just plug it in and you continue on. Rather than taking them off the grip and either wait until they charge again or use the switch as a portable in the meantime...

This means another £30 down the drain from day 1. And before somebody tells me this is not necessary, i will not mention the countless times my DS4 ran out of juice and all i really had to do is just plug it in.... Nintendo, seriously, WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING???

And before someone mentions "YES BUT THE CHARGING ONE HAS A BATERY BOO HOOO" they could easily supply the same grip they do now, with a plug and NO battery. Just a though and through means... Dear lord. :nayps3:

I can see a BIG 3rd party accessory market here... I can almost smell the kickstarter coming up.
maybe when the joycons die in 20 hours play take a 2 hour break and get some air, maybe met a woman or go out while they charge lol then you can sit infront your tv another 20 hours without having to worry about outside life a job or really anything besides a video game

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The joke called DS4 last no more than 8 hours.
The joycons in the other hand lasts 20 staight hours.
Unless you want to play several days long without sleeping and die like so many had before, just plug the thing in the console before you go to sleep. You know, the day has 24 hours, you well can play 20 and sleep 4.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I actually found out during many years of importing stuff from all over the world that sellers do not care to declare the right value and they mark them as gift. :)
Yeah, matters about where youre importing from, the UK is very strict on this.

is 20 hours too little time? jesus.

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
maybe when the joycons die in 20 hours play take a 2 hour break and get some air, maybe met a woman or go out while they charge lol then you can sit infront your tv another 20 hours without having to worry about outside life a job or really anything besides a video game

The joke called DS4 last no more than 8 hours.
The joycons in the other hand lasts 20 staight hours.
Unless you want to play several days long without sleeping and die like so many had before, just plug the thing in the console before you go to sleep. You know, the day has 24 hours, you well can play 20 and sleep 4.

So both of you think there are no good reasons to play and charge other than a 20 hour marathon to the death?

So you really think i would like the controllers to play and charge at the same time because i will do 20 hour marathons in a row? Also, nice notion about getting a woman, going out etc. Appreciated. Play and charge is important if you do not want to leave your controllers to charge every single time you leave them on the console for many hours on end. Leaving them overnight or for a prolonged period of time will kill their battery life sooner and with Nintendo being nice about not being able to replace it too, i would be even more careful. If 20 hours "is enough" why Nintendo provides a play and charge kit then? Surely you have a job to go to and a wife to attend to? As for the bad battery life of the DS4 yes, it is true, but so what? As long as i can plug it as soon as i need and i can *continue* playing, without interruption & having to pay a penny for a worthless piece of accessory that should be included (without the battery, cable only) i do not care about the battery life. It is the interruption, not the hours before dying. Yes, 20 hours is impressive. Guess what stopping in the middle of your game is though because of a $1 hole and plug that should be there - priceless.

How do you feel about charging the WiiU pad while playing? Is that useless too? How would you feel when one of your joycons has less charge than the other and you are left in the middle of a game because you need to charge only one? Not to mention you have to get them out of the holder *every single time* you want to charge them.

But yeah ok, who cares for sensible charging and user friendly accessories. Its 2017 and Nintendo can do fuckall they want to user experience and all the niceties we came to expect and don't you dare say a possible reason for being disappointed, cause you know, Nintendo and stuff.

D

Deleted User

I HOPE it will have good 3rd party accessorys. The 1st party ones are SOOOOOO expensive

Thulinma

Computer Magician
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.thulinma.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
So both of you think there are no good reasons to play and charge other than a 20 hour marathon to the death?

So you really think i would like the controllers to play and charge at the same time because i will do 20 hour marathons in a row? Also, nice notion about getting a woman, going out etc. Appreciated. Play and charge is important if you do not want to leave your controllers to charge every single time you leave them on the console for many hours on end. Leaving them overnight or for a prolonged period of time will kill their battery life sooner and with Nintendo being nice about not being able to replace it too, i would be even more careful. If 20 hours "is enough" why Nintendo provides a play and charge kit then? Surely you have a job to go to and a wife to attend to? As for the bad battery life of the DS4 yes, it is true, but so what? As long as i can plug it as soon as i need and i can *continue* playing, without interruption & having to pay a penny for a worthless piece of accessory that should be included (without the battery, cable only) i do not care about the battery life. It is the interruption, not the hours before dying. Yes, 20 hours is impressive. Guess what stopping in the middle of your game is though because of a $1 hole and plug that should be there - priceless.

How do you feel about charging the WiiU pad while playing? Is that useless too? How would you feel when one of your joycons has less charge than the other and you are left in the middle of a game because you need to charge only one? Not to mention you have to get them out of the holder *every single time* you want to charge them.

But yeah ok, who cares for sensible charging and user friendly accessories. Its 2017 and Nintendo can do fuckall they want to user experience and all the niceties we came to expect and don't you dare say a possible reason for being disappointed, cause you know, Nintendo and stuff.
You do realize that, Nintendo being Nintendo, they likely intend for people to charge their controllers after every session and use battery logic that will work well with that, right?
You can't just apply generic battery usage tricks to prolong life and apply them to every single device. Like you said, it's 2017, and most devices will actually try to be smarter than you and do the right thing even when you are a normal unsuspecting consumer that knows nothing about batteries.
I've never in my life had a single Nintendo battery ever die on me - heck, the batteries in my original GB cartridges keeping the save games alive are still up and running today. One time I left a 3DS with a full charge unused for over a year (which should be horrible for the battery, in theory) and it still had a full charge when I picked it up a year later, and it still works perfectly to this day, with normal battery life.

Have faith, and don't complain until you've had a chance to use it for a few days. We don't know how the battery life is in practical situations yet. We'll find out soon enough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s