Hacking overwhelmed with flashcart choices - help

zzzxtreme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi guys. I have a ds lite. I'm looking a flashcart to play nes, snes, genesis and if possible MAME. I don't need anything else, just something easy to install those emulators, with in-game save capabilities. no need mp3 player or video player or other stuffs.

can you guys recommend me something? cheap is good

I'm so overwhelmed with the choices available. r4,r4i, r4i gold, I'm going crazy

any help greatly appreciated

Sleet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to play more than a handful of SNES games then you'll need a DSTwo. Otherwise pretty much any card on the market is good.
This one labeled r4isdhc.com.cn is a great choice because it's cheap and runs Wood kernel. No RTS though.

zzzxtreme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you want to play more than a handful of SNES games then you'll need a DSTwo. Otherwise pretty much any card on the market is good.
This one labeled r4isdhc.com.cn is a great choice because it's cheap and runs Wood kernel. No RTS though.
thanks a lot mate. that r4 is cheap enough! awesome

Barawer

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I wouldn't recommend that one, it has a timebomb and will stop working soon. This one is a little more expansive but is considered the best one, has RTS as well.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
RTS : real time save.
it was known as "save state" in the past and in emulators. it's a way to save your current game progressing state any time, and restore the state anytime. Allowing you to save before a boss, or after doing each hit successfully, or before entering a dangerous place, etc.

the "RTS" is used differently on 3DS and gateway flashcart, and is more correct, but just contribute to create confusion among users.
Real time save means that the savegame is written to the SD card in real time instead of writing the savegame in RAM while playing and copying the save back to SD card later.

RTC : Real time clock.
Some games are relying on the real time to work correctly, for example Animal crossing require the real world time to function correctly (day/night etc.)

Boured

A Dusk Lycanroc who cares a lot about people.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend you get a DSTWO+, it is the newest DS flashcart to my knowledge and has quite a lot of features. It even has a built in processor used for RTS (Real-Time Saving otherwise known as Save States), Slow Down and Speed Up, and finally it emulates the GBA almost perfectly with TempGBA where as the other GBA emulator that works with the R4 is horrendously buggy. It is more expensive than an R4, but it's definitely worth the money.

Barawer

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I recommend you get a DSTWO+, it is the newest DS flashcart to my knowledge and has quite a lot of features. It even has a built in processor used for RTS (Real-Time Saving otherwise known as Save States), Slow Down and Speed Up, and finally it emulates the GBA almost perfectly with TempGBA where as the other GBA emulator that works with the R4 is horrendously buggy. It is more expensive than an R4, but it's definitely worth the money.
That depends on what console he's playing on. If he has a N3DS with a9lh, DSTWO is pointless. if its just a DS/DSi/Non-CFW 3DS, DSTWO is the way to go.

Reactions: Boured

Sleet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't recommend that one, it has a timebomb and will stop working soon. This one is a little more expansive but is considered the best one, has RTS as well.
thanks ! that's very helpful. all these terms like RTS are making me crazy lol
The one I linked has no timebomb, I've tested it myself. R4iSDHC.com.cn cards are not the same as R4iSDHC.com (which do have it).

I still recommend it. I've sold that particular card to many and no one has had any problems.

Last edited by Sleet,

Barawer

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
The one I linked has no timebomb, I've tested it myself. R4iSDHC.com.cn cards are not the same as R4iSDHC.com (which do have it).

I still recommend it. I've sold that particular card to many and no one has had any problems.
From my knowledge i know that all carts with a year on them are with timebomb. I know better now, Sorry.

Last edited by Barawer,

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The

They still run on a hacked wood kernel with worse compatibility than the official wood r4 card and they have no rts.
The DSTWO Plus is the only choice to play SNES games on a non-3ds console anyways but if you want to get a cheap card get the r4i gold 3ds rts (r4ids.cn).

Avicenna

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would not recommend the DSTWO. It costs more and has higher power consumption. If you have a DS Lite you can get superior native GBA playback with a GBA flash cart or EZ Flash 3-in-1. This makes it especially pointless to get a DSTWO. As for SNES playback, that's never going to be great on the DS because the screen resolution is too low, but SNEmulDS runs quite fast, and I've heard mixed things about the DSTWO SNES emulator and slowdowns. As for the confusion you're having, unfortunately there are a million R4 clones to sift through and the original R4 only supports SD cards up to 2gb. Unless o

I personally would recommend Acekard 2.1/2i. They were always the best flash cards. They support SD cards up to 32gb and have 100% compatibility. They also use the excellent AKAIO kernel. RTS is a gimmick and doesn't matter. The only difference between 2.1/2i is that the 2i also works with the DSi, so in your case, get whichever is available. DSTT is also similarly good I've heard. Honestly because you have a DS Lite you don't need all these newer knockoffs that generally focus on 3DS compatibility and whatnot.

Last edited by Avicenna,

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The SCDSTWO SNES Emu is better than the SNES emu for the other flashcards (which you can use with the Supercard DSTWO as well). But yeah, a Slot-1 and EZ-Flash 3in1 combination would be best for GBA games.
The R4i Gold 3DS RTS (r4ids.cn) has the same price as the AK2i but more features. Both are based on the same kernel (Wood). Both cards support up to 32gb and have almost 100% compatibility. AKAIO and WOOD are basically the same.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you want a cheap cart that is still the best, then I suggest the R4i Gold (url on cart: r4ids.cn). Unlike the R4i SDHC, it has official Wood R4 support. It's basically the closest you can get to a true updated R4.
I would not recommend any other R4 cart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: For real for real