Overwatch 2 will be free to play, enters early access this October

News has dropped for Blizzard's sequel to Overwatch. A new hero called Junker Queen was revealed in a cinematic trailer, and then announcing that Overwatch 2 will be free to play. There's going to be an event on June 16th that shows more information about the game on Blizzard's official Twitch and YouTube channels. In addition, Overwatch 2 will be entering playable early access on October 4, 2022, where it'll be available on Nintendo Switch, Xbox One and Series X|S, PlayStation 4 and 5, and PC.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Fully upgrade Tracer...

one-milliondollars-dr-evil.gif

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a very healthy move for the game tbh. The queue times for almost any role but tank aren't that good, so focussing on gathering more players is always great. Hoping they'll improve their cheat detection though.
I just wish they could ban smurfs from plaguing the games. It was already bad on playstation since you could share your license with any other account that you made but they didnt seem to care... F2P will make this worse for everyone

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I just wish they could ban smurfs from plaguing the games. It was already bad on playstation since you could share your license with any other account that you made but they didnt seem to care... F2P will make this worse for everyone
Honestly it wouldn't. More players means the least likely you'll get smurfs but actual players of your same skill. Most games which went F2P got a huge benefit by going F2P at one point or another. Look at Apex for example.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly it wouldn't. More players means the least likely you'll get smurfs but actual players of your same skill. Most games which went F2P got a huge benefit by going F2P at one point or another. Look at Apex for example.
Maybe if they up the required level for comp like Valorant did, the smurfing problem will be less of an issue. The constant nerfing/changes to characters, and the smurfs ruining the game or throwing on purpose to get lower for friends is what ruined this game for me. There was only punishment for the other teammates and not for the smurf account. If they dont do anything about the smurfs it will be worse than OW1

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Maybe if they up the required level for comp like Valorant did, the smurfing problem will be less of an issue. The constant nerfing/changes to characters, and the smurfs ruining the game or throwing on purpose to get lower for friends is what ruined this game for me. There was only punishment for the other teammates and not for the smurf account. If they dont do anything about the smurfs it will be worse than OW1
Honestly the game died for me when they released the 3 res Mercy Valk abomination in the live server. Then it died further when Brig came out, and got totally mauled the moment they put RoleQ.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly the game died for me when they released the 3 res Mercy Valk abomination in the live server. Then it died further when Brig came out, and got totally mauled the moment they put RoleQ.
RoleQ def killed the game. I loved pre-nerf Brig SO much. Everything else that they changed slowly made me dislike the game entirely. These OW1.1 changes dont make me want to come back either. Especially the 5v5's where people will just get steam rolled even faster now

Reactions: Mayo1990

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
RoleQ def killed the game. I loved pre-nerf Brig SO much. Everything else that they changed slowly made me dislike the game entirely. These OW1.1 changes dont make me want to come back either. Especially the 5v5's where people will just get steam rolled even faster now
The 5v5 feels a bit better imho, but with the maps being huge wide spaces they don't really look that great for now. Pre-nerf Brig was something that should have never existed. No character should have been THIS strong to begin with, especially with such a high reward factor with low risk in game.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 5v5 feels a bit better imho, but with the maps being huge wide spaces they don't really look that great for now. Pre-nerf Brig was something that should have never existed. No character should have been THIS strong to begin with, especially with such a high reward factor with low risk in game.
I will admit she was BROKEN af! But me being able to 1v6 a whole team with just her was AMAZING lol

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
I wouldn't be surprised if Overwatch 2 is DOA at launch considering the lack of anything really new in it.
Captain obvious here, but likely what's new is a proper wallet-milking platform integrated into this game. I'd say be very afraid if you like OW.

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Captain obvious here, but likely what's new is a proper wallet-milking platform integrated into this game. I'd say be very afraid if you like OW.
Honestly I don't mind the game. It's what came after that killed it (trying too hard to balance it, overtuned heroes with a very low risk factor compared to their reward value, OWL playing a wayy too important role toward the game's health) . I'm just happy to see it going F2P, hoping it'll sort things out in the meantime. If it was going to have the paid PvP, it was DOA though.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No loot boxes but seems like they are doing battlepass seasons which is even more wallet hungry. Blizzard is 100% scum. No wonder Jeff left

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I don't mind the game. It's what came after that killed it (trying too hard to balance it, overtuned heroes with a very low risk factor compared to their reward value, OWL playing a wayy too important role toward the game's health) . I'm just happy to see it going F2P, hoping it'll sort things out in the meantime. If it was going to have the paid PvP, it was DOA though.
Whatever isnt free is DOA. If they make PvP paid then the whole game is for me lol OW campaign sounds BORING if its anything like the stuff they made already

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Whatever isnt free is DOA. If they make PvP paid then the whole game is for me lol OW campaign sounds BORING if its anything like the stuff they made already
R6S wasn't DOA though. TF2 neither. But OW's main issue was that in the long run ""its competitors"" in both the shooters and esports scene were all F2P and had a much wider playerbase

RatherSimple

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
It just never made sense to that they've been actually expecting ppl to buy ow2 just for boring pve content. back to dlc road man I see.

if this was initially sold as a 'graphic upgrade' and 'pve' dlc packs to old ow without naming it 2, they would have made much more profit out of it.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
it shows that no one here plays overwatch (which makes me ask why they even bother to comment to begin with).
free to play is just what overwatch 2 needs to compete.
why are fortnite and apex popular? f2p, you have no excuse to not go and at least try the game.
how much powerful you become by buying stuff? none, it's f2p not p2w. you can only buy cosmetics.
"b-but predatory!". is a blizzard employee pointing a gun at you to buy stuff you don't need in order to play? come on, we are adults and if you can't control your impulses, that's on you.
"ohh gee, it will be full of smurfs". nope, blizz will make you register a phone number, so if you want a smurf account, have fun buying a new phone number too.

also, ow1 is a dumpster fire right now, you get stunned every 5 seconds and if you are lucky you'll live and extra second to see who stunned you, not like it matter since you are already heading straight to the spawn room.
the first ow2 pvp beta felt really good and not like a respawn simulator. with one less player shooting at you and less stuns in the game, you can actually do something to turn the tide.

now, that's only the pvp part of the game, pve details are gonna be revealed in the future. they are calling it early access for something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off