Overwatch 2 has been confirmed, will have a story mode

The confirmation of previously leaked game reveals continues on, as Blizzcon 2019 kicks off. Blizzard has revealed a sequel to their popular hero shooter, Overwatch, with Overwatch 2 being announced via a cinematic story trailer. The sequel appears to be more narrative-involved, including co-op story missions that friends can complete together to learn more about the Overwatch world. There will also be hero missions, which will contain additional story, in a new "Hero Mode". Overwatch 2 will still feature online competitive content, with its new team versus team map, called Push, which has teams constantly trying to take control of a robot, and then maneuver it into the enemy's base. A new hero, Sojourn, was also revealed at the event, with more new characters and redesigns of existing characters to follow.

During the event, director Jeff Kaplan explained that player's progress and cosmetics from the original Overwatch will be transferable to Overwatch 2. Kaplan also claims that both games will have a "shared multiplayer environment", elaborating that both Overwatch and Overwatch 2 players can play against each other, and players of the original will be able to use new characters introduced in Overwatch 2.

UPDATE: Overwatch 2's platforms have been announced: PlayStation 4, PC, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.

relauby

Idiot Child
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Being able to play between both versions, and the new characters being released for the original, is really interesting. It’s good for consumers and shows a ton of confidence in their new modes. I wonder how long it’ll last, though. I wouldn’t be surprised if in a year or two there’s a big update that only releases for Overwatch 2.

Reactions: DuoForce and x65943

Frexxos

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
haha same here @Chary . Never played Overwatch 1 because of that only competitive stuff.
Looking forward for awesome story PVE Modes and a lot of cinematics.

Reactions: Chary

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is the future and all, but I would still be concerned that I have just been healed because light just happened to go down someone's arm. lol

Never noticed that despite all these origin and side stories, they haven't actually move the story from, "Overwatch needs to come back!".

yacepi15

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Bought Overwatch 1 for Switch the launch day, two weeks ago... I'm not precisely happy about this announcement...

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Whoring yourself out to the Chinese must not pay well.

I don't get this game's premise
it's a $10-15USD DLC masquerading as a $60USD game.

same maps, same characters, unlockable/earned cosmetics carry over.
they've just fleshed out a narrative.

back in my day that's called a single-player DLC not a new numbered sequel

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
they only give you cosmetic items, no Pay2win here
There are countless problems with that argument, it undermines the importance of cosmetics in these kinds of games, they are still a predatory system made to exploit more money out of players, they are being used to circumvent gambling laws, and that's just the surface. There's also the question of how long will they still be "just cosmetic?" How long until Blizzard starts pulling a Bethesda and we get another Fallout 76? Justifying any lootboxes in paid games is a slippery slope that is literally happening to the gaming industry right now.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So no gameplay shown, but based on that cutscene I'm guessing leaks about this basically being Left4Dead with robots were correct. Not that appealing to me, and even if it were, Blizzard would need to properly address their stance on Hong Kong before I'd consider a purchase.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended