Overwatch 2 has been confirmed, will have a story mode

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 1, 2019.

1. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    They already had this on certain events. So it's nothing massive.

Xzi likes this.
  2. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Gameplay is getting shown tomorrow. Today those at Blizzcon get to demo the game afaik

Xzi likes this.
  3. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I don't know how that works. Sound more like Uncharted 4 and Uncharted Lost Legacy. Both games feature the same multiplayer mode, so either one will allow for playing between players. I guess that's kinda what this feature is about? It probably means not much has changed between the two games, and if new characters get made, it would be available on both. So basically The first one is focused more on competitive multiplayer, the second is for casuals who wanted a "Not a single player" game. Just sounds like Titan Fall all over again. The only question remains is will it be cross platform multiplayer. :blink:

4. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    streamers are allowed to stream the game and they have been doing it since the announcement.

5. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yeah some leaks were saying it's basically the Overwatch Halloween event stretched out over several large maps. Just feels like Blizzard is way behind the curve on everything now and people might as well play Vermintide 2 instead.

6. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    I like Overwatch as a game, I really do. But the PVP is unbalanced and you always must play the "meta" to win or get a chance.

Snugglevixen and Xzi like this.
  7. Deathbot64

Deathbot64 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 15, 2014
    Canada
    dont be upset. it isnt a new game. it is a story expansion. All of the pvp maps and modes will be playable by ow1 players. ow2 is the story mode, hero missions, customizable characters expansion.

8. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Why do people think, that making sequels to esport titles is a good idea? You're just gonna split the player base or mostly kill the original game.

9. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    I understand peoples point, but I'm sure the Switch will get "2" eventually.

From what I understand, everything is carried over and shared, except the story mode.

10. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    nah, this is to keep the tradition of the switch only getting old games.

nope, ow1 and ow2 players are gonna play together in pvp. ow2 is essentially a glorified expansion with new visuals.
    ow1 players will miss out on the pve story, but everything else (new heroes, maps and the pvp mode) will be available for them.

11. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    lol what? I've seen the "you can import your savegame from the previous game" thing many times but this is a whole new level.

12. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    lol Guess I misunderstood. OW2 is coming to the Switch.

13. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I liked the beta so much that I pre-ordered the collector's edition, but after launch it didn't take long before matches started to feel repetitive. I played for maybe a little under a year before calling it quits.

14. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    I won't support Blizzard in any way. They put money before free speech and freedom in general.

Xzi likes this.
  15. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    it will be added later you just (over)watch :P

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Nov 2, 2019
  16. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    I hope this game is an offline option too. If not then I will pass it again!

17. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    Just pve plot part, the pvp will remain as same as ow1.
    It's was explained during Blizzcon opening cerimony and trailer above. Haven't you seen it??

18. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Didn't blizzard first anounce they were going to support this game for a longer time because they wanted to focus on E sports ? Wondering how most people actually feel after only getting support for 3 to 4 years having spent tons on skins and so forth. 3-4 years is still a long time but in my eyes not long enough for an E sports game. Would agree more with a 5-10 year period. We'll see if they can keep their promise of not locking pvp elements behind the OW2 expansion. It's blizzard so i do see them locking certain heroes behind the OW2 paywall in the future forcing people to pay for the expansion

Last edited by kumikochan, Nov 2, 2019
  19. relauby

relauby Contributor

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    relauby is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 21, 2017
    Canada
    Newfoundland
    I don’t feel they’ve broken that promise. If they stick to their guns and not start making stuff exclusive to Overwatch 2 then Overwatch will still be supported for the foreseeable future.

20. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Hopefully they do but seeing the greed Blizzard has since it became one company with activision hmmm who knows

relauby likes this.