Overheating Graphics card

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Digeman, Nov 13, 2007.

Nov 13, 2007

Overheating Graphics card by Digeman at 6:03 PM (918 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Digeman
    OP

Member Digeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Hey guys. Well I got a Radeon 1600X or something that I bought about a year ago. Well it's been making a lot of noise these couple of weeks (i think it's the fan). Anyways, when playing tf2 I got a message that it was overheating and that it might be because of the fan. Now is this something I can solve by myself or do i need to buy a new one? Any help is apreciated! [​IMG]

Edit: Oh and tf2 stands for Team fortress 2 [​IMG]

2. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    well imo if the fan is making noise, it probably isn't spinning at its rated speed. You could peel back the sticker and put a drop of teflon lube in there, but pretty much you might want to replace the fan or h/s and fan assembly. I see small fans on dealextreme.com probably intended for such an application but of course there's also replacement coolers around, dozens of them. I've had video cards do weird things and die on me, usually I tend to just RMA them instead of dealing with these hassles.

3. Scoobos

Newcomer Scoobos Advanced Member

You don't have to fix it yourself or buy a new one.

In fact, leave it alone if you want your warranty with ATI/ AMD intact - as peeling the sticker will count as "tampering".

Go to

http://www.amd-firefly.com/firefly2007/fir...loadTemplateID=

and fill out your details and they will replace it under warranty (has 3 years, as x1600 was before they changed it to 1 year only).

If you have trouble with that nasty link - use this one and select "Getting Warranty Service"
    http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894

4. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    Sorry for beeing a complete newb at this..but uhm, what you're saying is, either put some lube in it, replace the fan or put cooler things around it? Or RMA? xD

5. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    Oh awesome! =D I'll check those links out. Thanks! [​IMG]