Hardware Overheated Wii can't access system menu

tatripp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, I apologize if this is not in the right section.

Anyways I went on a vacation for 2 days and when I got back my wii had a high fever. Apparently someone left it in standby mode and it decided to commit suicide. After unplugging the wii and letting it cool down, I turned it on and the TV screen went from saying "No video signal" to a solid black screen. It refused to load the system menu and had no sound whatsoever. I put in my SD card and tried to turn on the wii again. To my surprise the wii loaded the bootmii screen but would not start up the system menu from that screen. After trying again, I was surprised that the homebrew channel worked and all of the apps I tried seem to work as well. I have not made any recent modifications to the wii and have pretty much only been using it to play gamecube games.

Does anyone know a fix to this? Did I lose my system menu somehow or did I fry something in my wii so that it won't work right?

Also to address the unavoidable questions... Yes, I have checked my cables and they appear to be in working condition and are plugged correctly into the proper input on my tv.

Thank you.

Boy12

NOT a new member!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think the one who left it in standby is responsable for the frying of your Wii :-/
As for losing your system menu, i don't know, but i do think some parts of the PCB are burned, but i'm no expert, so i'll say wait for another answer.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you fried something. I hope you learned your lesson about leaving your game console on while you go on a vacation. Give it a few days to cool down. Unplug all your cables and set the Wii someplace where it won't get dusty, but won't be in too much heat. Hope you get it back.

Reactions: tatripp

tatripp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just think it is dumb that the wii doesn't shut down unless you hold the power down for a few seconds. You should definitely be able to put it in a state where it won't destroy itself without having to manually walk up to the wii and hold down a button. Anyways, thanks for the answers. I will unplug it and leave it in a cool area for a few days.

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just think it is dumb that the wii doesn't shut down unless you hold the power down for a few seconds. You should definitely be able to put it in a state where it won't destroy itself without having to manually walk up to the wii and hold down a button. Anyways, thanks for the answers. I will unplug it and leave it in a cool area for a few days.

Well if you disable WiiConnect24 (which is pretty useless now anyway) the goes directly to the "red light" state with a simple touch of the power button.
Anyway, good luck with you Wii. Just as an advice: if you have to buy a new Wii, don't buy a Mini if you want to hack it. And in my oppinion don't buy a Mini anyways, it has too many hardware missing.

Reactions: Tri-Z and tatripp

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure its the system and not the tv , I had the same issue with my vizio tv and cable box , after doing a lot of trouble shooting ( I had a black screen too ) I surmised it the cable box , the nex day the tv wouldnt turn on at all , tried the same box on a different tv ,and it worked. Odd thing is , I tried another cable box on the Tv and it seemed to work ( thats why I thought it was the other cable box ) ( then the tv died the next day :(

tatripp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure its the system and not the tv , I had the same issue with my vizio tv and cable box , after doing a lot of trouble shooting ( I had a black screen too ) I surmised it the cable box , the nex day the tv wouldnt turn on at all , tried the same box on a different tv ,and it worked. Odd thing is , I tried another cable box on the Tv and it seemed to work ( thats why I thought it was the other cable box ) ( then the tv died the next day :(

I'm pretty sure it's not the TV because I can run GCN games through an action replay app on homebrew channel, but I will definitely try another TV just in case. Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker