James B.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well. My computer fell behind.
tongue.gif
. My graphics card, an ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro ( I bought it a week ago), that I stuck into my 3 or 4 year old Dell Dimension 9100.

Well, I tried putting up some settings on Call of Duty 4... and BAM. Not much improvement. A bit of messing told me it was the 3.0 Ghz single core pentium 4 sitting on my motherboard.

So, I want it faster. How far do you think I could push it without losing reliability...

Or, an alternative, a new motherboard with a new pc. Of course, I'll need to buy new RAM too, right?

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Depends on what kind of PSU and cooling you have. With stock cooling, I think you'll be able to push it to at least to 3.2ghz. P4s run really hot so monitor the temps carefully.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Over clocking probably won't be worth it for you. Overclockers go for improvements most other people wouldn't even notice..unless you have really good cooling but you'd be better putting the money towards a new computer.

COD4 runs pretty nice on my Athlon 3000+ with a 7800GT. Are you looking to turn up the graphics all the way? How much RAM do you have?

Let us know your budget and we'll work out what the best upgrade is for you. In the end you're looking at a new PC if your wanting to play new games on high graphics.

James B.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well. 1 gig of ram, but thats enough for the recommended.

My ram runs at 533 Mhz. (or whatever is closest to that, can't remember exact nubmers).

I think my best bet would be to buy a whole new MoBo... Anyone have any recommendations? It'd be nice to keep as many things as possible...

Also, while were on the subject, Quad or Dual cores?
tongue.gif

ZeminkoX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Which is why you should just take the case to bits and replace the motherboard. That'll more or less "unlock" your machine.

I had a Dell Dimension a year or two ago, and through periodic updating my computer is more or less completely different except from the hard drive that I still use.
smile.gif

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you'll notice a whole world of difference if you get simply a 2.4ghz core2duo system for gaming. a 3.2ghz northwood can't stand up to a 2.4ghz core2duo in Crysis at all. It's like night and day, you're talking P4 ~10fps on all LOW settings vs E6600 ~24-35fps on all MEDIUM settings. I'd suggest ditching the P4 and getting a Core2duo main board and cpu maybe this spec: 2gb corsair ram, E6600 or even E6750 cpu, Asus P5B main board. That's pretty cheap, and video you'd need at least something like 8600GT in there.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can overclock my 2.6ghz to 3.2ghz with stock cooling with no problems... P4 overclocks a lot. but I just run it at 2.6 actually I'm on it right now. My laptop is core2duo 2.0ghz like 7300T model cpu or something with 4 megabyte cache, it literally smokes this P4 in games. Halflife2 runs with all details on the highest at a real smooth framerate, as does battlefield 2 and I'd imagine COD4 and battlefield 2142 or whatever runs great on it as well. Also crysis runs fine on it. I think laptops are the way to go right now..mobility, speed, flexibility. This northwood system takes up so much space with monitor keyboard mouse... tower... big sucker compared to my laptop and not even close to as good
smile.gif
I think I paid about $1100 for the laptop including sales tax. A comperable macbook pro costs about $1600-$1800 before tax.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I can overclock my 2.6ghz to 3.2ghz with stock cooling with no problems... P4 overclocks a lot. but I just run it at 2.6 actually I'm on it right now. My laptop is core2duo 2.0ghz like 7300T model cpu or something with 4 megabyte cache, it literally smokes this P4 in games. Halflife2 runs with all details on the highest at a real smooth framerate, as does battlefield 2 and I'd imagine COD4 and battlefield 2142 or whatever runs great on it as well. Also crysis runs fine on it. I think laptops are the way to go right now..mobility, speed, flexibility. This northwood system takes up so much space with monitor keyboard mouse... tower... big sucker compared to my laptop and not even close to as good
smile.gif
 I think I paid about $1100 for the laptop including sales tax. A comperable macbook pro costs about $1600-$1800 before tax.

What's it's GPU, and then again A MBP has a much better CPU, ( starts at 2.2Ghz and goes up to 2.6Ghz IIRC )

James B.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, no graphics card can run Crysis at full graphics...

And whoever said "Dimension 9100s can't be overclocked", thanks for the info. Just wondering where you found it, because I can find nothing on this old and decrepit motherboard
tongue.gif

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The

And whoever said "Dimension 9100s can't be overclocked", thanks for the info. Just wondering where you found it, because I can find nothing on this old and decrepit motherboard
tongue.gif

Thanks sir , but thats wrong.
wink.gif

A 8800 GTX can run the game with very high graphics.
But you also need a very good processor for it to work.

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewforum.php?id=2

There you should find some guys which play at very high.
biggrin.gif

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

tongue.gif

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

No. An 8800 Ultra which is better than the GTX can't, how can a weaker model max crysis? Also Guess what there is a difference from Very High and Max in Crysis o.O No card on the Market currently can max out crysis. Period.

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The

tongue.gif

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

No. An 8800 Ultra which is better than the GTX can't, how can a weaker model max crysis? Also Guess what there is a difference from Very High and Max in Crysis o.O No card on the Market currently can max out crysis. Period.

Are you like stupid ?
very high is the highest setting you can set in Crysis. there is no such max setting.
And a 8800 Ultra can play the game , maybe you are just too stupid to configurate your system.
smile.gif

(Don't tell me you want

PRESS HERE and this is not the only topic which states that it runs quite well.
The resolution he has set is quite low , but others have the game running at higher resolutions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4