• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Over a dozen public officials indicted in embezzlement scheme; including entire county board (VA)

• Thread starter Xzi
  • Start date
  • Views 4,962
  • Replies 58
  • Likes 5

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It almost goes without saying at this point, but it has not been a good week for Republicans in positions of authority. Virginia state police announced four days ago that a grand jury has indicted numerous officials in connection to an embezzlement scheme to the tune of $21 million. Included in these indictments is the entirety of Warren County's board of supervisors, all five of whom are Republicans.

Richmond Times-Dispatch said:
A grand jury has indicted all of Warren County’s top government officials on charges of misfeasance as part of an ongoing criminal investigation into allegations of embezzlement and money laundering inside the local economic development authority, Virginia State Police announced Tuesday.

Among the 14 people charged were County Executive Douglas Stanley and all five members of the county’s Board of Supervisors: Chairman Daniel Murray, R-North River; Tony Carter, R-Happy Creek; Tom Sayre, R-Shenandoah; Archie Fox, R-Fork; and Linda Glavis, R-South River. Former Warren schools Superintendent Luke Drescher and former County Attorney Daniel Whitten also were charged.

Former Warren Supervisor Ron Llewellyn, who was also indicted, said the charges stem from allegations that local officials did not react quickly enough to suspicions that Jennifer McDonald, a former director of the economic development authority, was embezzling $21 million in agency money.

McDonald has been charged with 28 felony counts in that investigation, which, among other things, alleges that she doctored invoices to steer money into bank accounts that she controlled in a scheme to enrich herself, her friends and her family.
In such a busy news week on the federal level, this is a story which otherwise would've flown under my radar entirely, so shout-out to the temper who referred it to me via PM. :grog:

Last edited by Xzi,
D

Deleted User

I was born in Virginia, actually. Disappointed that this is what's been happening while I was looking away.

Reactions: Xzi

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Former Warren Supervisor Ron Llewellyn, who was also indicted

Just adding this (maybe add to OP): The supervisor is indicted because they suspect there was inside help from county officials to embezzle the money (not just for failing to adequately respond).

Reactions: Xzi

billapong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see how their political affiliation has anything to do with the fact they are crooks. It's not like Republican's don't commit crimes. Other than the 5 republicans, how many were Democrats? (Not that it matters, just making a point). Politicians are usually morally corrupt (this is 100% the case when it comes to Liberals). That's why I'm glad we have a President that's not a politician.

Last edited by billapong,

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't see how their political affiliation has anything to do with the fact they are crooks. It's not like Republican's don't commit crimes. Other than the 5 republicans, how many were Democrats? (Not that it matters, just making a point). Politicians are usually morally corrupt (this is 100% the case when it comes to Liberals). That's why I'm glad we have a President that's not a politician.

Well a non Politician can be a good thing but a Millinair isn't really anything better except that he might not be swayed by monay easily ...
But then again the one you got lacks common sense and is destabilizing the whole world

Reactions: osaka35

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...sucks to be a Virginian (or Virginese? Virgin? :unsure: ), but I've got to be honest: I don't particularly care about it. Or to be more precise: I care about them about as much as you would care about our Belgian politicians's attempt at forming a regional government. We might not have scandals (yet), but it's not like there's a chance it affects anyone outside the region (unlike news about Trump or, at least in my case, the brexit).

I also gotta side with @billapong that their party membership isn't all that relevant either. It would've been somewhat different if you had a dozen different parties more or less equally divided, but you've got two. And with the US system of 'winner takes all', all of them belonging to the same political party isn't particularly surprising.

Don't get me wrong: it's a rather decent argument against this two-party politics system. But the way it's set up, it's more an invitation or yet another round of "democrats vs republicans". And I'm frankly pretty tired of being called a democrat because I tend to mock certain morons belonging to the republican party.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your first link story was deleted and the second one (raw story) is an extreme far left "news" outlet known for spreading misinformation.
https://www.wric.com/news/virginia-...harged-in-ongoing-embezzlement-investigation/

What were the other 9 people who were indicted (D)? but the raw story didnt think it was important enough to mention?
Political affiliation has nothing to do with it other then click bait sites to try and take advantage, also its not really a big news story, it involves a county and a small one at that in VA, thats why it never broke into any major news network other than local stuff.

Last edited by Joe88,

billapong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your first link story was deleted and the second one (raw story) is an extreme far left "news" outlet known for spreading misinformation.
https://www.wric.com/news/virginia-...harged-in-ongoing-embezzlement-investigation/

What were the other 9 people who were indicted (D)? but the raw story didnt think it was important enough to mention?
Political affliction has nothing to do with it other then click bait sites to try and take advantage, also its not really a big news story, it involves a county and a small one at that, thats why it never broke into any major news network other than local stuff.

It's not like far this or that sites don't have any good material, it's just harder to find. So the source doesn't necessarily mean the article is bias. Also, it's easy to look through the bias and pick out the relevant information (the 5 w's) or lack thereof.

Maybe @Xzi is trying to distract us from the negative attention the Liberals are getting due to the fact Trump and co. are getting to the bottom of who started the two year long witch hunt / conspiracy theory that the media used as a diversionary tactic? Isn't that the real reason behind the impending impeachment hearings?

Dealing with cowards who don't take responsibility for their actions usually ends up in said cowards in panic mode. Drowning people will grasp at anything they can to stay afloat. Well, you know what they say about "When the man comes around" ...

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe @Xzi is trying to distract us from the negative attention the Liberals are getting due to the fact Trump and co. are getting to the bottom of who started the two year long witch hunt / conspiracy theory that the media used as a diversionary tactic? Isn't that the real reason behind the impending impeachment hearings?
Do you really believe this? Like honestly?

billapong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you really believe this? Like honestly?

Yes I do. The point of Trump's call wasn't to just look into Biden, regardless of his intentions on that issue. Biden was a side issue, the main reason was to look into why the Democrats falsely accused him of collusion. He has a team working on bringing the people responsible for the entire situation to justice. This is coming directly from the team working on investigating the Democrats responsible for the collusion hoax.

Why do you think Pelosi said "Barr has gone rouge"? It's because he's out of the country investigating the people behind the false collusion accusations. The Republican's are out for blood and unlike Liberals they usually get shit done. I think you need to keep an eye on what's happening on both sides regarding this issue. It's not smart to ignore the opposition and only pay attention to one side's desperate attempt to distract the pubic from their own wrong doings. Seems to be working if you don't realize what the Republicans are actually up to. Do you not pay attention to your opponents location when you're playing chess?

Either way, Biden was just icing on the cake. The Liberals are good at attacking their own. I love it when they finally do turn on themselves, because it always happens. Hey, at least they stopped talking about trying to impeach Trump and finally did something, but like the 2 year collusion hoax their case is built on smoke and mirrors.

It will be interesting to watch the Liberal media melt down again after he doesn't get taken down (and if he does Pence will take over, so they're still going to have to deal with the current administration). Win/Win either way.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
:rofl:

Ah...I see you've clarified this part. Lemme respond to that as well.
Yes I do. The point of Trump's call wasn't to just look into Biden, regardless of his intentions on that issue. Biden was a side issue, the main reason was to look into why the Democrats falsely accused him of collusion. He has a team working on bringing the people responsible for the entire situation to justice. This is coming directly from the team working on investigating the Democrats responsible for the collusion hoax.
:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

For those living under a rock and thinking "the team" means the CIA, FBI, pentagon or any of the official instances at the disposal of a US president...you're mistaken. "The team" consists of...this guy:

giphy.gif

So to reiterate my earlier response:

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Dealing with cowards who don't take responsibility for their actions usually ends up in said cowards in panic mode. Drowning people will grasp at anything they can to stay afloat. Well, you know what they say about "When the man comes around" ...
I certainly agree, though I seriously doubt we're thinking of the same groups. It fits Giuliani's current behavior perfectly.

I dare you to ask me for sources on that one. :tpi:

/off-topic

Last edited by Taleweaver,

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In such a busy news week on the federal level, this is a story which otherwise would've flown under my radar entirely, so shout-out to the temper who referred it to me via PM.

It's funny how you can't find any stories putting Republicans in a bad light other than a story about a tiny little county in VA that somebody else found for you. Oh, no, they stole money from the "take a penny, leave a penny" fund. Throw them all in solitary confinement.

What I would like to know is:
how much gun violence in this county?
How many homeless?
How many single mother homes putting out countless numbers of future welfare applicants?
Is there trash and homeless all over their streets and are the sidewalks littered with fecal matter and used syringes?
Is the federal government sending them our tax dollar to rebuild their infrastructure only for that money to disappear?

You want to see corruption where it matters? Here's a video from a non-biased source (what you would consider non-biased if it was a liberal account):

This is the type of stories you should really be focusing on as this is absolute proof of corruption in our government.

Last edited by morvoran,

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quite a few folks deflecting and resorting to whataboutism. People are tribal to the point of insanity.
I agree. We have all this corruption, lying, and using tax dollars for nefarious reasons (either trying to impeach an innocent president that they just don't like and forcing foreign countries to do their bidding) at the top of the Democrat party, but we have liberals here posting ridiculous stories about "Republican embezzlement" in a very small town like that is going to distract our attention away from the real issues. Give me a break!
Let's stick to the real stories that matter like the Clintons and Obama colluding with Ukraine and Russia to influence the 2016 election. Those are the real crooks.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Marcsoup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not like far this or that sites don't have any good material, it's just harder to find. So the source doesn't necessarily mean the article is bias. Also, it's easy to look through the bias and pick out the relevant information (the 5 w's) or lack thereof.

I do hope you realize that anything that results in 34 indictments, 8 guilty pleas, and 5 prison sentences (and counting) is not a "witch hunt". 5 of Trump's top campaign officials/associates are now convicted felons. Additionally, the investigation was never purely about Trump. It was investigating whether or not Russia interfered in the election. Democrat, Republican, independent, Green party, or even the fucking US Communist party (which shockingly still exists to this day.) It was found that yes, Russia DID interfere in the 2016 election in favor of Donald Trump, and to the detriment of Hillary Clinton. These are not "opinions" or subject to interpretation. These are known facts published by both left and right wing media, including Fox News (see https://www.foxnews.com/politics/whos-been-charged-by-mueller-in-the-russia-probe-so-far). If you read through the the report (which I highly recommend all US citizens do (It can be found at https://www.justice.gov/storage/report.pdf), you would know this by now. Also, remember, Robert Mueller is a registered Republican, so it OBVIOUSLY was a "deep state conspiracy" perpetrated by the Clintons/Democrats/lizard people/Illuminati (/s)

On the current issue of Trump's wrongdoing with Ukraine, again, it's not up for debate. The law is very clear. Any attempt to invite a foreign government to aid in an election is a federal crime. Go ahead and try to explain away the reasoning why Trump would single out one person who just happens to be the son of his political opponent over something that wasn't an issue until he made it one. Contrary to what Trump is saying, there was never any investigation into Hunter Biden as there was no wrongdoing in the first place. All Hunter Biden did was push to have a known corrupt prosecutor fired while he was an employee of a Ukrainian company. So if helping cleanse corruption is wrong, we're all fucked.

Do your research across both right and left wing media. Look at neutral sources like The Associated Press and Reuters. Read news stories from international publications who have no political bias in US affairs, like the BBC. It's not hard to find the truth when there are so many places to look.

I'm not going to argue further.

Also, as to the actual topic of the thread, you can find a list of all 14 people charged at https://www.wric.com/news/virginia-...harged-in-ongoing-embezzlement-investigation/
I'm too lazy to do the research into the political affiliations of the 14 people charged at the moment.

Edit: @Joe88 actually linked the same article above

Last edited by Marcsoup,

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
I agree. We have all this corruption, lying, and using tax dollars for nefarious reasons (either trying to impeach an innocent president that they just don't like and forcing foreign countries to do their bidding) at the top of the Democrat party, but we have liberals here posting ridiculous stories about "Republican embezzlement" in a very small town like that is going to distract our attention away from the real issues. Give me a break!
Let's stick to the real stories that matter like the Clintons and Obama colluding with Ukraine and Russia to influence the 2016 election. Those are the real crooks.
Let's see. This is a thread about an embezzlement scheme leading to arrests.

What does your post have to do with this? Really, very little aside from using it as an excuse to go all Wake Up Sheeple on people. Like, you're displaying whataboutism right here in this very post. Oh the irony.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Doesn't GBAtemp consist of those types of newcomers? :unsure: