Ouya News: November 2013

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by LightyKD, Nov 18, 2013.

1. LightyKD
    OP

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Limited Edition White OUYA

[​IMG]

a limited edition white OUYA console sporting 16 gigs of internal storage is currently available for the price of $129.99

http://shop.ouya.tv/products/ouyalimitededition

OUYA System Menu Update

A major system menu update is scheduled for this week!

Update notes:

-External Storage is in open beta! Just plug in a USB drive to get started. Please see the list below for details and known issues.
    We support NTFS, FAT32, and ext4 file formats.
    Games on external storage are currently associated with the OUYA they were downloaded from (so you can't use the storage to transfer a game from one OUYA to another. Sorry!)
    If you've modded your system with apps like Link2SD, you'll want to undo your changes in order for external storage to work.
    You may notice some slowdown while a game is installing to USB. This is expected and is something we hope to address in future updates.
    After downloading a game to external storage, sideloading an app will put it on external storage.
    Some games do not properly move their saved game data when moved to an external drive. If this occurs, you can move the game back to its original location to recover the save files.
    When connecting a USB drive, scanning can take a few minutes if lots of games (100+) are installed. We plan to improve this in future updates, but if you download all of DISCOVER, scanning will take a while.

-UI revamp! We've made some significant changes to the look and feel of the UI.
    OUYA is now more intuitive, visually appealing, and better able to feature your games. It's even got built-in functionality to allow us to update featured games and the wallpaper on the fly.
    All game titles are now underneath the tile art, for easier browsing.
    Tiles have new icons for installed games and game with available updates.
    Controller icons now appear for all connected controllers and will give a low battery indication.
    Double tap of the OUYA button will now bring up a System Menu instead of instantly exiting a game.
    The System Menu allows you to exit games, eject a USB drive, turn off controllers, or put OUYA into sleep mode.
    Games can now be set up to allow purchases from OUYA menus. Games that have enabled this will have a Buy button in their System Menu. We'll be expanding and adding more functionality to this menu in the future.
    Support for faster system updates. We've enabled Incremental Updates, which means updates (after this one) will be much quicker. NOTE: If you've modified your system files, you'll continue to get the full updates.
    Developers can now create links that allow you to download their game to your OUYA from the web. These links aren't just confined to the ouya.tv site, they can be placed on any webpage. Keep an eye out for these links!
    Update Notes are viewable on the console. They appear after an update, or you can go to MANAGE -> UPDATE NOTES to view them.

-Good ol' fashioned bug fixes.
    Fixed an issue where users could not access the Internet because the system clock had reset, causing certificate problems.
    Fixed an issue where the download button didn't always display the proper text.
    Fixed an issue where holding the analog stick to the side didn't auto-scroll.
    Many minor issues.

-R2 and L2 can be used to scroll quickly in both PLAY and DISCOVER.
    -Installed games are no longer at the end of their list in DISCOVER.

431unknown likes this.
  2. jonthedit
    This message by jonthedit has been removed from public view by Depravo, Nov 18, 2013, Reason: Edited above post. ~Dep.
    Nov 18, 2013

3. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

Credit where credit is due, though, the Ouya may be the only thing keeping the tumbleweed business afloat in these trying economic times.

4. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Lighty, you have an Ouya, right? How many decent games does it have?

5. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Fortunately, Ouya is not competing with the hype of PS4 and Xbox One!
    If it was...ehhhhh...

6. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Wait, wait, wait... Ouya still exists?
    Didn't expect that, I wonder how many consoles it sold since release...

7. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    I might buy an Ouya. I need something to prop up a wobbly table.
    Sales figures exceeded even the most optimistic estimates when a staggering SEVEN units were sold.

Gahars and gamefan5 like this.
  8. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Yeah, I see a tower of them at my Target. I don't think any cares since it's in the dark half of the electronics section.

9. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London

Where it sits with the Wii U and Vita?

DinohScene, gamefan5 and GameWinner like this.
  10. Osha

Osha Weh

Jun 19, 2012
    France
    Or a wobbly PS4.
    But yeah, I'm surprised that thing isn't dead yet.

11. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    So its true, turds do turn white after a while.

12. LightyKD
    OP

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Yes. I do have a OUYA and I love it. I also have a OUYA related YouTube show where you can hear my thoughts on many OUYA games. Just search for "OUYA Nation" on YouTube.

13. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    It reminds me of a dreamcast.
    The design that is.

14. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Quick question, if my intention for buying an Ouya is purely as an emulation box, would you still recommend it or would I be better off just buying a generic Android box/stick?

15. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    That was my next question too, and I would also like to know what the media playback support/capabilities are like. Can it be used as a media centre/HTPC?

16. KTurbo

KTurbo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2008

Yes, and yes. This is my main use of the OUYA but it does have some good games. I think it's main strength is that you can try every game before downloading it.

17. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Note 3.
    It even does Melee FULLSPEED*.

*Menus only

18. TwinRetro

TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    United States
    Las Vegas, NV

Honestly, if you already have a Wii, it's not really worth it unless you want to use different controllers than the Classic Controller/Pro

19. LightyKD
    OP

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    I would recommend OUYA for emulation and XBMC. Personally I use it for PS One and PSP emulation and I LOVE using XBMC on it. I chose to keep my Nintendo and Genesis emulation on Wii. As for OUYA games. There are some good ones, Shadowgun, Ravensword, Clark and Neon Shadow but I also supplement things with controller compatible Google Play games. I'm enjoying my OUYA but right now this white system is making me jelly!

20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I'm not sure if I should take this as an insult towards the Dreamcast or a compliment towards the OUYA... :unsure:

gamefan5 likes this.
  21. LightyKD
    OP

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Another awesome picture for you all to marvel to! :D

[​IMG]