I try to keep myself amused.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/09/ouya-launch-delayed-to-june-25-controller-defect-being-fixed/

Joystiq reported that the Ouya launch date was delayed to June 25th in order to meet "Retail Demand". (Meaning, retail venues requested more units than what could be supplied by the 4th.)

They also reported that the button sticking issue on the initial backer models has been fixed and will be available to later backers. For those who got the original backer controller, OUYA will swap out defects. (Also, the Sixaxis controller works natively with the OUYA.)

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
original.jpg

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's all good. That just means that I get my Ouya two days before my birthday and not a few weeks in advance. I'm also happy that they are launching AFTER the XBox conference and E3. This gives them some time to hype things up before and during E3. They also gained an additional 15 million in venture capital so all signs are looking positive!

Ouya 4 Lyfe!

IBNobody

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are you trying to say that they didn't manage to manufacture all of the 5 units that were ordered on time? :tpi:

They needed at least 9446 - one for each Gamestop, Target, and Best Buy store in the US. If it sells out in all stores, it could beat the WiiU and PSVita weekly sales.

The true reason for the delay was likely because they had to raise Venture Capital funding. http://www.ouya.tv/ouya-is-f-f-funded/

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's all good. That just means that I get my Ouya two days before my birthday and not a few weeks in advance. I'm also happy that they are launching AFTER the XBox conference and E3. This gives them some time to hype things up before and during E3. They also gained an additional 15 million in venture capital so all signs are looking positive!

Ouya 4 Lyfe!
This is the first post in the history of ever that expresses satisfaction that an ordered and paid for item will arrive delayed... is this blind admiration?

When Ubisoft delayed Rayman Legends, a global uproar followed. When OUYA gets delayed, users are... happy? Then again, some people cared about Rayman Legends. That, and a user's priorities already have to be upside-down to order an OUYA on launch, so the unordinary reaction is understandable. :tpi:

donaldgx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh noes, I won't be able to play all those ports from old games, emulators, maybe some indie games :( oh I have a pc

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the first post in the history of ever that expresses satisfaction that an ordered and paid for item will arrive delayed... is this blind admiration?

When Ubisoft delayed Rayman Legends, a global uproar followed. When OUYA gets delayed, users are... happy? Then again, some people cared about Rayman Legends. That, and a user's priorities already have to be upside-down to order an OUYA on launch, so the unordinary reaction is understandable. :tpi:

Not at all. Sometimes a delay is good for business. This gives Ouya some time to properly advertise their console and get the word out. Trust me, many forums would be getting an earfull if I thought the way they were doing things was crappy. They're not the major three. What they have been. able to accomplish so far is nothing short of amazing. Yes, Ouya deserves some leg room. Next year, if we're reading similar stories, I'll start bitchin. Until then, I can deal with a few hiccups.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not at all. Sometimes a delay is good for business. This gives Ouya some time to properly advertise their console and get the word out. Trust me, many forums would be getting an earfull if I thought the way they were doing things was crappy. They're not the major three. What they have been. able to accomplish so far is nothing short of amazing. Yes, Ouya deserves some leg room. Next year, if we're reading similar stories, I'll start bitchin. Until then, I can deal with a few hiccups.
Can you explain what you find so amazing about the OUYA in some brief cliffnotes because I really don't get it. There are OUYA equivalents on the market already, in fact, some Android sticks surpass it in terms of specs so as long as you have one of those and a SIXAXIS controller you're pretty much set.

To be frank, most contemporary phones and tablets already surpass it hardware-wise and in all likelyhood, you have a phone already - all it takes is to buy one that had mini/micro-HDMI-out.

As for the games selection or the "exclusive OUYA marketplace", all the games available in the ecosystem are already available on Google Play, some even have enhanced TegraZone or PSMobile versions.

Sure, the OUYA is a modular system, but what advantage does that give you if an "upgrade" will essentially require you to dish out for practically a new OUYA? You get the illusion that it's "just an upgrade" but it all runs down to you keeping your system's old case.

All in all, the system really doesn't offer that much and in comparison to hardware that Android fans already own. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun thing to own due to the collector's value (if you collect consoles) but in all other cases, the offering is rather poor.

IBNobody

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can you explain what you find so amazing about the OUYA in some brief cliffnotes because I really don't get it. There are OUYA equivalents on the market already, in fact, some Android sticks surpass it in terms of specs so as long as you have one of those and a SIXAXIS controller you're pretty much set.

To be frank, most contemporary phones and tablets already surpass it hardware-wise and in all likelyhood, you have a phone already - all it takes is to buy one that had mini/micro-HDMI-out.

As for the games selection or the "exclusive OUYA marketplace", all the games available in the ecosystem are already available on Google Play, some even have enhanced TegraZone or PSMobile versions.

Sure, the OUYA is a modular system, but what advantage does that give you if an "upgrade" will essentially require you to dish out for practically a new OUYA? You get the illusion that it's "just an upgrade" but it all runs down to you keeping your system's old case.

All in all, the system really doesn't offer that much and in comparison to hardware that Android fans already own. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun thing to own due to the collector's value (if you collect consoles) but in all other cases, the offering is rather poor.

OUYA is the first Android console to be sold at common retail stores. The only thing close to OUYA are GoogleTV boxes, which are either woefully underpowered or cost twice as much. The OUYA gets love, though, because they are marketing it as an open system. The thing ships pre-rooted.

Are there alternatives? Yes, but... Can you buy an Android stick at a brick-and-mortar Target, Best Buy, or Gamestop? Can you buy an Android stick at Fry's? No. They are currently mail-order only. They lack developer support specifically for them and aren't made for easy use and consumption. They are a niche product for the tech savvy.

But the Games! The Games, you say! It doesn't have any good exclusives! It doesn't bother me at all. I didn't buy it for the quantity or quality of games. The games are an afterthought. The system's shaping up to be an excellent, cheap set-top-box. (Besides... Lack of games didn't stop you from buying the PS Vita, did it? :P)

As for phones and HDMI... Unless you had an old phone you can permanently hook up, it's takes too much setup/teardown to be worthwhile on a regular basis. It's good on paper, but "Meh" in real life.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Foxi, you act like I think the Ouya is the return of Elvis or something :P. To me, the Ouya is a continuation of what Nintendo should have done with the Wii U. A low priced console that says "Fuck graphics, let's expand the market and focus on games and media distribution with apps." Even better is that the console is compatible with many controllers including the Wii Remote and nunchuck and the use of those controllers IS allowed as long as the developer has put in the work. Couple all of this with OnLive and you can call me a happy camper!

Reactions: IBNobody

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I just bought an ouya, I hope it will be worth the time waiting. I will use it as a media center and a little gaming of retro consoles.
Time to put my rgh xbox to the side room and let ouya as the media center. For me is essential for this beast to stream movies and surely it is not a no name Chinese stick with no updates and poor port of android.
I will probably use it more than my ps vita that collected dust until I sold it after I got bored of the mouse and cat game on updates..

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought an ouya, I hope it will be worth the time waiting. I will use it as a media center and a little gaming of retro consoles.
Time to put my rgh xbox to the side room and let ouya as the media center. For me is essential for this beast to stream movies and surely it is not a no name Chinese stick with no updates and poor port of android.
I will probably use it more than my ps vita that collected dust until I sold it after I got bored of the mouse and cat game on updates..

The HBO Go and Netflix apps were tested on Ouya recently and shown working. The Netflix app used for testing was from a phone. We at Ouya Forum think that the tablet version might give better navigation. As for me I'll be using the Xfinity apps and streaming my episodes collection saved on Google Drive via the website (due to lack of Google support on the console)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: +1