Ouya CEO: 27 percent of Ouya owners have bought a gaem

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by emigre, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone

Because movies aren't meant to be real. There's still a barrier between the audience and the production and higher resolution can't solve it. Plus movie making techniques were developed not exactly for higher resolutions and framerates. For instance a sudden camera movement or a whip pan is supposed to create a blur which doesn't disorient, but when it's too detailed it's just very nauseating.

2. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    Movies are often supposed to represent the reality. Films like Skyfall or Silver Linings Playbook are supposed to make you believe in what you see, not think of it as some fantastic story taking place in a parallel reality.

A lack of detail doesn't in and of itself change the reality of a piece of cinematography. If i watch a Bluray on an HD LCD TV and then again on a standard SD CRT it doesn't become more or less real in either circumstance. It may look nicer but both are able to convey enough detail to convey the weight of the environments. If a film as disorienting blur then it's a badly made film, not a film that's being made using the wrong resolution or frame rate.

There can't be an argument for less detail unless that extra oomph starts revealing flaws in the design which serves to sunder the belief of the audience. Many of us go to the cinema to believe in what we're seeing (or as much as suspension of disbelief will allow) and arguing for film making to remain mired in the past seems baseless without specific examples of where higher amount of detail is detrimental.

xwatchmanx likes this.
  3. IBNobody

IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    Texas, Hang 'Em High
    From some of the HD responses, it sounds like people are grouping 1080p resolution with 120Hz refresh. 1080p and 120Hz refresh are two separate TV technologies. Here's a quick refresher...

Most films run at 24Hz, or 24 frames per second.

1080p (HD) adds more detail/pixels per frame, but you're still at 24Hz. The picture looks better, but the motions don't look any different.

TVs capable of running at 120Hz can take the 24Hz movie and insert interpolated frames between frames. The end result is that you watch the movie at 48Hz or higher. This is what makes modern HDTVs show movies in that buttery-smooth, disconcerting way. This can also cause audio syncing issues if the TV you're using has a poor frame interpolation algorithm.

(Guild, you'd probably have enjoyed Skyfall better had it been in 1080p only and not had the 120Hz mode turned on. If you DID watch it on a HDTV without 120Hz mode, though, you'd hate 120Hz mode even more.)

I personally try to avoid watching movies in 480p or 1080p and try to stick to 720p. 720p has significantly better resolution than 480p, and it's only 3x-4x the file size (1.5-2.5GB for 720pvs 700MB for 480p). I can't easily tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, and the file sizes for 1080p are prohibitively large.

And to keep this thread on topic... I own an Ouya and I never bought a game. I don't think I ever will. Why should I? Every game on the system is free!

4. 431unknown

431unknown Greatness Awaits

Sep 29, 2008
    United States
    I wonder how many of those purchases were emulators.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted