Ouya CEO: 27 percent of Ouya owners have bought a gaem

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by emigre, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    My girlfriend has one that I was able to tinker with while visiting her. We found a few nice multiplayer addicting games. (You Don't Know Jack, Word Scrabble, and Hidden in Plain Sight.) All of which were great however it was $10 for extra YDKJ episodes, and Word Scrabble has a subscription. Hidden in Plain Sight was nice, it did a sort of pay what you want with set denominations. With the option to donate later. The games, and even emulators on there are pretty expensive. I was hoping for a more Android market where games were priced accordingly. I'd like someway to not have to pay for items I own on the Android Market on the Ouya Market, which I was able to do by sideloading them. The console itself looks like it's upside down IMO, and there's no file manager. Once more things get developed no doubt it'll be worth the price, but for now I wouldn't get one myself. (Oh and the controller's touchpad is so jerky, forget games that require it.)

tl;dr Ouya doesn't have lots owners. games expensive so people no buy them.

2. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

I kind of doubt that. People who like Angry Birds have Androids and iPhones and whatnot to play it on. I honestly can't see many people purchasing a $99 console for a free game that they can already play.

3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Bet you they will.
    If they can play it on a console, they will.
    Hell Angry Birds even came out for the 360, PC and 3DS (possibly even more systems)

4. mercluke

mercluke ‮҉

Dec 2, 2007
    Perth
    A friend of mine got his recently and by god is towerfall fun.
    we spent hours screaming and swearing at each other playing that little beauty :P

5. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

There's a world of difference between buying a copy of the game for a console you already own and buying an entirely new console for it. For the casual demographic that Angry Birds mainly appeals to, it's all about convenience.

Did any of those ports boost sales for their platform? Of course not. Expecting that precedent to give way here is just silly, plain and simple.

Izzy011 likes this.
  6. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    The 73% are probably installing cracked apks. Android is the easiest system to pirate on now as a stock device will run cracked games and apps.

7. king_leo

king_leo Real Hero

Sep 12, 2009
    De RigueurMortis
    I'm surprised people bought an ouya for reasons other than emulation and pirating (Music/Film/Television).

8. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    considering so little sales, I think their aim is to make the current customers buy the game.

they have reached 27% so even if their numerical values are low, they are trying to satisfy these buyers so others come in.

google also aims to bring around a few people who will purchase their products while the majority uses its services for free.

9. Langin

Langin HI! ^O^

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague
    I think this console will never really sell well in terms of hardware and games, yes we've just had the launch but look what's going on to the Wii U and the Vita. There's no room for more consoles, especially now in this state of economical crisis. I think this thing is a sinking ship. Even Angry Birds can't save it. People won't buy a $99,99 device just to play that game. I know enough 'social' gamers and all of them say AB get's boring after some time.

10. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Former Staff
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    gamefan5 likes this.
  11. Damian666

Damian666 Coder from Hell

Mar 24, 2010
    Netherlands
    In your code...
    hell no, that's a bare unit, to get it working you need lots of addons...

12. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    ouya would have been a success if it would have been buyable 2 months after its announcement. but no, people waited for almost 2 years and got a system that was outdated again.
    now its an old piece of junk, people playing the demo games realize that its worthless for gaming outside of maybe emulation and use it as a youtube/media viewer at best.

13. Mantis41

Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 3, 2009
    United States
    earth
    Doesn't a smartphone wireless game pad render this useless. Just plug your phone into the telly, pick up the controller and you're away. Bit of a bastard if someone calls though.

14. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Purgatory
    Fix'd :P

15. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone

I'd like to see statistics of it selling well.

Plus Angry Birds does well on mobile devices because you can play it on the go and a little bit at a time. Plus the touchscreen controls on mobile devices suits it. I don't see people buying another console to buy the same game, tethered to their living room with worse controls.

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Every HDMI-In has a +5V pin - it's just about enough power to keep the device running at optimal settings. The Tegra series are mobile CPU's - they don't need a lot of power to be "pushed to the limit". The OUYA itself only consumes about 4.5 Watts while you're gaming. With the dawn of quad and octacore Exynos chips, the OUYA will soon be outmatched. ;)

Of course that's besides the point - it's still a cheap alternative console that's perfect for playing all those smartphone games you already play on your smartphone anyways. ;O;

17. TehSkull

TehSkull Living the life

Nov 29, 2009
    United States
    Louisiana
    These stats are probably just referring to sales made in the Ouya store. Root it, install clean ROM, buy apps from Play Store.

18. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!

You know, its ok to say you got into the Kickstarter hype and bought a PoS. It happens to the best of us.

Joe88 likes this.
  19. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Hmm, its kinda not advertised = bought by people who find out about it on the internet = people who are at least a little more tech savvy = people who know they can install games for free?

20. IBNobody

IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    Texas, Hang 'Em High
    No onboard wifi? No onboard bluetooth? No thank you!

Honestly, I don't know why companies who make these things don't add onboard wifi and bluetooth. There are solutions (like the LSR TiWi-BLE) that are all-in-one and are smaller than a penny. The cost adder is $25 for this particular chip, but there are others that are cheaper.

[​IMG]

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted