Hero of the Void
OP
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
So Nintendo is upset about Ouya and its ROMS thingy. And tehy have every rigth to be. But honestly, it is their own fault.

It is their own fault because they chose NOT to release their old games on the VC. It is their own fault because they chose NOT to have a unified account and you as player have to re-buy the same game every single time. It is their own fault for simply HOLDING BACK a ton of great games for reasons unknown. If they don't want Ouya users to play NES or SNES or whatever ROMs they should just release their fucking games for the VC.

I don't have an Ouya. I don't want one. What I want is a unified eShop account where I can play a game i already bought on the system of my chosing. Why should I re-buy a Zelda game for NES if I already own the Wii version for 3DS or WiiU? Heck, I own the cartridge already, I boight the Wii version so I don't have to hook up my NES to my HDTV. And then i should buy the same game for the same price AGAIN for 3DS only to buy it AGAIN for the Wii U? Fuck no!

And if I want to play, say Castlevania 64 I can't even buy that on a VC? What gives?

Long story short: Nintendo: Release more games for cheap on the VC and less people will play ROMs.

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
This argument is the same with PS1/PS2/(soon to be) PS3 games even Xbox and 360 games as well.... Everyone is all in the same boat there is no way to validate someone's previous purchases if you haven't brought digital yet. Vita was planning on having something that would do PSP Games to Vita Digitals but didn't fall through because for obvious reasons it could of been easy to be opened up to hacking. Nintendo is upset since Emulators are illegal and yes they still make money off old games. If they sell a digital version for 5$ they likely payout 2$ to themselves for making it run at a stable rate/service of eShop and then 3$ might go to the copyright owner. I understand why you are upset with Zelda NES but when they upgraded to WiiU it does provide a big discount and comes with new features. I think it is only a 1$ from NES and 2$ for SNES yet people who pay full price have to pay 5$ and 7.50$ for them but with the 3DS they are working on something that will allow for transfers between the two (I read about a month ago from Nintendo interview).

This is also another reason why I switched to PC for non-exclusive games since I don't have to worry about hardware updates that render my old stuff useless (or eventually fix).

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
OP
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
My problem is less with the fact that I have to rebuy again and more with tehf act that there are THOUSANDS of great oldschool games out there and Nintendo only released a few DOZEN of those. I don't understand why they can't just make the entire VC library tehy already have throughout all systems available for all systems? They already have it done after all. And then of course why they don't release more games for the VC? They have 26!!! N64 games on the ENTIRE VC library. And some really awesome are missing. I understand some games have rights issues like Banjo Kazooie, sure, but games like Castlevania for examply most certainly don't...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Nintendo is upset about Ouya and its ROMS thingy. And tehy have every rigth to be. But honestly, it is their own fault.

It is their own fault because they chose NOT to release their old games on the VC. It is their own fault because they chose NOT to have a unified account and you as player have to re-buy the same game every single time. It is their own fault for simply HOLDING BACK a ton of great games for reasons unknown. If they don't want Ouya users to play NES or SNES or whatever ROMs they should just release their fucking games for the VC.

I don't have an Ouya. I don't want one. What I want is a unified eShop account where I can play a game i already bought on the system of my chosing. Why should I re-buy a Zelda game for NES if I already own the Wii version for 3DS or WiiU? Heck, I own the cartridge already, I boight the Wii version so I don't have to hook up my NES to my HDTV. And then i should buy the same game for the same price AGAIN for 3DS only to buy it AGAIN for the Wii U? Fuck no!

And if I want to play, say Castlevania 64 I can't even buy that on a VC? What gives?

Long story short: Nintendo: Release more games for cheap on the VC and less people will play ROMs.

That's precisely why I use RetroArch on the Wii since I actually have the chance to play games they'll never release on the VC. I gave up hope on the Wii VC back when Chrono Trigger and FF6 weren't on there, but eventually, they were released....in 2011, five years after the launch. That's pathetic; it's too little too late IMHO. Licensing issues I can see for third party games, but if it's Nintendo's own game franchises, there can't be said issues. Yes, it's illegal to have said ROMs, yes, it's illegal to play games on "unauthorized" software, but I don't care. At least RetroArch Wii emulates the Super FX chip, something the Wii VC couldn't do.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back in '06 when the Virtual Console was first announced, I thought it would have been really cool if the Wii came with some sort of barcode scanner or something, so that you could scan all your old games and instantly have them in a .wad format or whatever on the Wii, thereby not having to buy the games again. Of course this would have no control since you couldn't limit how many times a single game were scanned, so you could borrow all your friends games and then have them, and he could have all your games too.

Having said that, if Nintendo is mad a Ouya, they should be mad at themselves for how easy the Wii was to hack and thereby emulate all the oldschool games for free.

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It is about copyright you can't just put games on the VC. You have to go through the right channels or they will be taken off. The rights don't believe to just one person like back in the day it belongs to 10s to 100s of people for rights. If you look at the CvT game for Wii the credits are massive because almost everything belonged to other people.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is about copyright you can't just put games on the VC. You have to go through the right channels or they will be taken off. The rights don't believe to just one person like back in the day it belongs to 10s to 100s of people for rights. If you look at the CvT game for Wii the credits are massive because almost everything belonged to other people.

If it's their own games, there shouldn't be licensing issues at all. Other games that aren't owned by Nintendo I can see being an issue, but their own franchises? There's no excuse for refusing to release those.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's precisely why I use RetroArch on the Wii since I actually have the chance to play games they'll never release on the VC. I gave up hope on the Wii VC back when Chrono Trigger and FF6 weren't on there, but eventually, they were released....in 2011, five years after the launch. That's pathetic; it's too little too late IMHO. Licensing issues I can see for third party games, but if it's Nintendo's own game franchises, there can't be said issues. Yes, it's illegal to have said ROMs, yes, it's illegal to play games on "unauthorized" software, but I don't care. At least RetroArch Wii emulates the Super FX chip, something the Wii VC couldn't do.

I don't know if it was so much licensing issues (though I'm sure its a part of it) as much as it was Nintendo wanting to not have every game available at once. If they only released a few games every week, they were guaranteed to make more money, because a game you wouldn't neccesarily want with the whole library available, suddenly becomes a game to tide you over while you wait (after all VC games are cheap) for your game to eventually be released. Its a pretty solid model, and I'm sure it did make them more money than they would have had they released as many games as possible at once.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if it was so much licensing issues (though I'm sure its a part of it) as much as it was Nintendo wanting to not have every game available at once. If they only released a few games every week, they were guaranteed to make more money, because a game you wouldn't neccesarily want with the whole library available, suddenly becomes a game to tide you over while you wait (after all VC games are cheap) for your game to eventually be released. Its a pretty solid model, and I'm sure it did make them more money than they would have had they released as many games as possible at once.

Right, but there are some games that haven't been released at all, like Yoshi's Island or Star Fox because their emulators couldn't handle Super FX. Wii hackers were able to find out that the emulator they used was based off an Snes emulator for Mac that didn't emulate the Super FX, hence why we never saw those games. People like SquarePusher (RetroArch) however, got Super FX games to run full speed on the Wii.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, but there are some games that haven't been released at all, like Yoshi's Island or Star Fox because their emulators couldn't handle Super FX. Wii hackers were able to find out that the emulator they used was based off an Snes emulator for Mac that didn't emulate the Super FX, hence why we never saw those games. People like SquarePusher (RetroArch) however, got Super FX games to run full speed on the Wii.

Yeah, I'm aware of this. I suspect this is why Yoshi's Island was one of the free ambassador titles on the 3DS, even if it was the GBA version.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm aware of this. I suspect this is why Yoshi's Island was one of the free ambassador titles on the 3DS, even if it was the GBA version.

Ugh, that was a pretty bad port (sound-wise anyway), but the emulator just couldn't emulate it properly. RetroArch Wii FTW, full speed and no frame skipping. I hope they don't eff up the Wii U virtual console, but they released Vega Stakes....how exciting. No wonder people download ROMs. Japan got Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy 6 today and we get this?

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand Nintendo's reasons for not releasing some Vc games its because if they did release alot of their old games yes because of licening issues & probable because people would't be willing to buy remakes of certian games because thier are alot of them. If you plan to be rude turno just don't say anything to me .

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh, that was a pretty bad port (sound-wise anyway), but the emulator just couldn't emulate it properly. RetroArch Wii FTW, full speed and no frame skipping. I hope they don't eff up the Wii U virtual console, but they released Vega Stakes....how exciting. No wonder people download ROMs. Japan got Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy 6 today and we get this?

I really can't complain about a free game, and it is completely playable, and frankly I notice no sound issues, but I'm not the type of person to compare every little detail in a port. You wanna talk bad GBA port, play Sonic Genesis.

And yeah, I use the emulators on the Wii, I don't like RetroArch, cuz I prefer the interfaces of the GX emulators, and for each system to be seperated not all bundled together like that. Playing Yoshi's Island on it, I notice no issues, I'm sure if I was insane and scrutinized it like crazy I could find issues, but it works A-OK for me in SNES9XGX.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Here's my problem with that, whats the point of Nintendo bitching when any one in there sleep can go down load an emulator and play it on just about any damn device out there! come on Big N get with the times! ;)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really can't complain about a free game, and it is completely playable, and frankly I notice no sound issues, but I'm not the type of person to compare every little detail in a port. You wanna talk bad GBA port, play Sonic Genesis.

And yeah, I use the emulators on the Wii, I don't like RetroArch, cuz I prefer the interfaces of the GX emulators, and for each system to be seperated not all bundled together like that. Playing Yoshi's Island on it, I notice no issues, I'm sure if I was insane and scrutinized it like crazy I could find issues, but it works A-OK for me in SNES9XGX.

To each his own. I'd rather use the unofficial emulators since the have filters and allow us to play the games that don't have a chance in hell of ever being on the VC .The Sonic game on GBA was pretty hilarious though, esp. the music :rofl2: Nintendo's emulators aren't that great in comparison to the unofficial ones. The reason RetroArch doesn't have GX menus is due to the Wii's small memory, but since they don't use frame skipping of any kind, many games run smoother. That too is based off of Snes9x 1.52 I think.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To each his own. I'd rather use the unofficial emulators since the have filters and allow us to play the games that don't have a chance in hell of ever being on the VC .The Sonic game on GBA was pretty hilarious though, esp. the music :rofl2: Nintendo's emulators aren't that great in comparison to the unofficial ones. The reason RetroArch doesn't have GX menus is due to the Wii's small memory, but since they don't use frame skipping of any kind, many games run smoother. That too is based off of Snes9x 1.52 I think.

The GX emulators are unofficial too and also allow us to play games without filters. Like I said, there may be frame skipping, but I can't notice it. RetroArch is cool, but I just prefer the seperate emulators for each system, especially since RetroArch isn't all encompassing, so Wii64 and WiiSX still have to be accessed separately anyway.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GX emulators are unofficial too and also allow us to play games without filters. Like I said, there may be frame skipping, but I can't notice it. RetroArch is cool, but I just prefer the seperate emulators for each system, especially since RetroArch isn't all encompassing, so Wii64 and WiiSX still have to be accessed separately anyway.

Too bad we haven't heard anything about WiiSX or Wii64 in a long time. I think they're dead, and uh, trying to ask emukidid for info about an progress update is a death wish, not recommended. :blink:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol