Tutorial  Updated

How to install the exFAT driver without updating!

This guide is outdated, use this easier guide instead: guide, original thread: ChoiDujourNX

Warning: Use at your own risk, using a wrong version of a game dump could prevent the console from booting.

Warning: Because we install the driver without ever requesting this from Nintendo, this could be detected if you go online and result in a ban.

Intro:

How to install the exFAT driver without updating you console.
I used the game dump "Penny.Punching.Princess.NSW-BigBlueBox" on my 3.0.2 Switch.
I'm assuming you know how FG works and how to send payloads to the console before proceeding.

There are two methods of installing this:
1, Stock: Installing it to the system like a cartridge would. This works on stock firmware but exFAT support would be lost after a system update.
2, CFW: When booting Horizon via hekate, a .kip1 file will be injected. The console's eMMC remains unaltered and will not have the driver loaded when booting normally and not via hekate.

Method 1, Stock:

Necessities:

- A console with firmware version 2.0 or higher (does not work on 1.0.0)
- A Game dump with an update on it that is the same version as the console (tested: trimmed xci works)
- Switch encryption keys (these can't be shared, Google 'nswroms' to find them)
- patch.zip: link
- TegraRcmGUI / TegraRcmSmash (TegraRcmGUI)
- memloader (https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/)
- HacDiskMount (https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/)

Steps:

step 1: Copy the contents of the sample directory of memloaderv1.zip to the root of your SD card.
step 2: Enter RCM using your prefered method: how-to-test-fusee-gelee.
step 3: Inject the memloader.bin payload that is located inside of memloaderv1.zip.
step 4: Select 'ums_emmc.ini' by navigating with the volume buttons and confirming with the power button.
step 5: open HacDiskMount as administrator and select 'Linux UMS disk 0':
9niP3aA.png
step 6: Double click BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main and a window will pop-up:
jl6PSBZ.png
step 7: Use the 'Start' button in the 'Dump to file' section to extract the partition.
step 8: (!) Create a backup of BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin and store it somewhere safe.
step 9: Create a new directory and extract the contents of patch.zip into it.
step 10: Copy the game dump and BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin to the same directory.
step 11: Create a file named keys.txt in the same directory.
step 12: Copy all of the Switch encryption keys to this file.
The keys.txt file should contain at least the following keys, replace the ... with the keys you found online.

master_key_00 = ...
master_key_01 = ...
master_key_02 = ...
master_key_03 = ...
master_key_04 = ...
aes_kek_generation_source = ...
aes_key_generation_source = ...
key_area_key_application_source = ...
header_kek_source = ...
header_key_source = ...
step 13: Inside of the directory we created, drag the game dump .xci onto the patch.bat file.
step 14: If the process executed successfully you should see something like this:
qfxpqd7.png

(The number of bytes can vary)
(Don't worry about the 'Failed to match key' warnings)
step 15: Go back to HacDiskMount and click on 'Browse' in the 'Restore from file' section and select BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin that we just patched.
step 16: Close the pop-up window and doucle click on BCPKG2-2-Normal-Sub.
step 17: Repeat step 15 and restore the same BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin file (optional, but advised).
step 18: Hold the power button on your Switch for 12 seconds to turn it off and then boot it again to see the results!

Results:

Before:
eJvxiBb.jpg

H0NszhP.jpg

After:
B5BL3UT.jpg

dqmIIc4.png

Credits:

@Raugo for creating the original Spanish tutotial: link

Method 2, CFW:

Necessities:

- Everything from method 1, except: memloader and HacDiskMount
- sdfiles.zip (https://github.com/tumGER/SDFilesSwitch/releases)
- hekate (https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases)

Steps:

step 1: Create a new directory and extract the contents of patch.zip into it.
step 2: Copy the game dump to the same directory.
step 3: Create a file named keys.txt in the same directory.
step 4: Copy all of the Switch encryption keys to this file.
The keys.txt file should contain at least the following keys, replace the ... with the keys you found online.

master_key_00 = ...
master_key_01 = ...
master_key_02 = ...
master_key_03 = ...
master_key_04 = ...
aes_kek_generation_source = ...
aes_key_generation_source = ...
key_area_key_application_source = ...
header_kek_source = ...
header_key_source = ...
step 6: Inside of the directory we created, drag the game dump .xci onto the patch-cfw.bat file.
step 7: If the process executed successfully you should see something like this:
8tVdyio.png

step 8: Copy the file FS.kip1 that was just created in the 'out' directory, to the root of your SD card.
step 8: Copy the contents of sdfiles.zip to the root of your SD card.
step 9: On your SD card, open hekate_ipl.ini inside of a text editor.
step 10: Add the following line below each boot entry that you want to inject:
Code:
kip1=FS.kip1
A boot entry is a line that starts with [ and ends with ], for example:
Code:
[CFW]
kip1=modules/newfirm/loader.kip
kip1=modules/newfirm/sm.kip
kip1=FS.kip1
step 11: Put the SD card back into your Switch.
step 12: Enter RCM using your prefered method: how-to-test-fusee-gelee.
step 13: Inject the hekate.bin payload

After booting hekate and selecting either 'stock' or 'CFW' from the 'Launch firmware' section, the exFAT driver will be injected!

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Pythonimus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bahamas, The
Thank you, this is very helpful!
I'm now using ReiNX (legal one) with my 4.1.0 non-exfat console.
I used Kirby Star Allies xci: [SHA256 (BDEE34A0819CB5F6B9617EEF07BFD50280AB5FBD412666294D0A597E45C27CCF)] and extracted FS.kip1 (02D5ABAAFD20C8B0633AA0DBAEE0377EF526CE6AD2AC6F2CAD7180CE69E74311) renamed it to FS.kip and put it in the submodules folder.

redbreed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone else experienced errors while entering sleep mode after applying one of the methods?
I've tried both method 1 and 2. After method 1 my switch wouldn't wake from sleep mode, and after reverting method 1 and trying method 2 my switch encountered a system error on entering sleep mode (2162-0002). Both methods 'worked' in terms of reading the sdxc card.

Running CFW from the most recent hekate release, firmware v5.1.0, SDXC sd.

Sleep mode works as expected when I use a fat32 sd.

chembro378

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone else experienced errors while entering sleep mode after applying one of the methods?
I've tried both method 1 and 2. After method 1 my switch wouldn't wake from sleep mode, and after reverting method 1 and trying method 2 my switch encountered a system error on entering sleep mode (2162-0002). Both methods 'worked' in terms of reading the sdxc card.

Yes, I experienced the same issue you described. I used method 1 on the latest firmware. Hopefully someone posts a fix soon.

lacrima08

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I updated the link to patch.zip to include hactool with card2 support.
An alternative would be to use the steps below:

Hi,

Do You have another link please ?

The MEGA link is dead : "The file you are trying to download is no longer available."

is it the same as "parcheador.rar" of the spanish tutorial ?

Thanks

Last edited by lacrima08,

chembro378

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Here is the mistake I made that I now corrected and everything is back to normal. Make sure you use a game like Taiko no Tatsujin that contains the 5.1.0 update. I originally used Octopath which only had the 5.0.1 update which was not congruent with the Switch firmware that I had installed. I am hoping that my mistake helps you.

Reactions: riyyi

redbreed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the mistake I made that I now corrected and everything is back to normal. Make sure you use a game like Taiko no Tatsujin that contains the 5.1.0 update. I originally used Octopath which only had the 5.0.1 update which was not congruent with the Switch firmware that I had installed. I am hoping that my mistake helps you.
Very appreciated that you followed up! I used the lego incredibles, which I thought would work, but I will take your advice and try something else.

Reactions: chembro378

2manyGames2play

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm about to do this exFAT patch thingie but i have some Q's about method 1:

1. Is "injecting" exFAT a permanent solution (meaning you don't have to inject it on each boot)?
2. When injecting it to Stock, exFAT won't be in the CFW (and vice versa)?

oof. i bricked
Method "1"? :(

3. When doing everything as stated, what's the chance of bricking?

Last edited by 2manyGames2play,

2manyGames2play

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ouch... Well, i'm no expert, but hopefully you backed up your Switch's full NAND on beforehand and are able to boot into RCM... besides that i wouldn't attempt anything just yet (i don't know on what firmware you were when it bricked and what firmware is inside the backup). It's better to ask the pro's for help. The best of luck!

Last edited by 2manyGames2play,

Indariver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ouch... Well, i'm no expert, but hopefully you backed up your Switch's full NAND on beforehand and are able to boot into RCM... besides that i wouldn't attempt anything just yet (i don't know on what firmware you were when it bricked and what firmware is inside the backup). It's better to ask the pro's for help. The best of luck!
Yeahhh no back up. I was on 4.1 tho. I feel like it was the xci file i used. I tried using Mario aces and it didnt really read it correctly I guess? So i tried attack on titan same thing. Not bricked or anything yet. Then i try Crash Bandicoot N sane trilogy and it actually completed so i did that stuff with the file it creates, rebooted and blue screen. i didnt really play my switch much and i guess im good at saving money so i can always buy another. Just kinda sucks i guess. Mostly cuz i got me a sx pro, 2 64gb micro sds, and a 128gb micro SD. I just wanted to do this tutorial so i could play that new My hero academia game. Anyway. Karmas a bitch

2manyGames2play

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeahhh no back up. I was on 4.1 tho. I feel like it was the xci file i used. I tried using Mario aces and it didnt really read it correctly I guess? So i tried attack on titan same thing. Not bricked or anything yet. Then i try Crash Bandicoot N sane trilogy and it actually completed so i did that stuff with the file it creates, rebooted and blue screen. i didnt really play my switch much and i guess im good at saving money so i can always buy another. Just kinda sucks i guess. Mostly cuz i got me a sx pro, 2 64gb micro sds, and a 128gb micro SD. I just wanted to do this tutorial so i could play that new My hero academia game. Anyway. Karmas a bitch
i feel ya man, if only you had a backup at hand... Hopefully you'll have more luck next time :/

riyyi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1. Is "injecting" exFAT a permanent solution (meaning you don't have to inject it on each boot)?
2. When injecting it to Stock, exFAT won't be in the CFW (and vice versa)?
3. When doing everything as stated, what's the chance of bricking?
Method 1 is a permanent install.
When using method 2, it will only get added to the boot option if you specify it in hekate_ipl.ini.
If you use the correct game and create a backup as the tutorial states, the chance of bricking is 0%.
You also don't need a full backup, the small file you're replacing is enough (this is what is recommended in the tutorial).

But again: Both exFAT installation tutorials are out-dated, use ChoiDujourNX instead.

Indariver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Method 1 is a permanent install.
When using method 2, it will only get added to the boot option if you specify it in hekate_ipl.ini.
If you use the correct game and create a backup as the tutorial states, the chance of bricking is 0%.
You also don't need a full backup, the small file you're replacing is enough (this is what is recommended in the tutorial).

But again: Both exFAT installation tutorials are out-dated, use ChoiDujourNX instead.
I have a backup of that BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main file. Is that the one to fix if bricked?

Edit: yep. Took me a while to figure out how to restore but i did it. No more brick :D

Last edited by Indariver,

silvershadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I understand we should use ChoiDujourNX instead, but i was curious, if i have two switches, can i generate the FS.kip from one switch, and put it on the memory card for my other switch? or is it console specific. i understand it uses some keys, but i thought the keys used are universal?

Also, how can i use ChoiDujourNX to get the exfat driver for my memory card if im already using an exfat card that needs the "system update"? (which is kind of why i asked the first question)

..or can i generate it with my currently working sdcard, and then use that file on another sdcard in my own switch (but each switch needs to generate its own one?)

Thanks in advanced!

EDIT: i guess my question would be irrelevant if you use ChoiDujourNX. it will install the driver properly (not needing the FS.kip) so any exfat sd card should work after you use that.

Last edited by silvershadow,

majortom027

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am running a windows 10 pro pc 64it. I have the patch folder extracted with a "keys.txt" "file and "Bayonetta_(Japan)_(En,Ja,Fr,De,Es,It)_[Trimmed].xci" (my switch is on 4.0.1). When I drag the XCI into the patch.bat I get the following:

unable to open C:\Users\Name\Desktop\patch\Bayonetta_(Japan)_(En: No such file or directory
ERROR:
Could not open input file
- System error: (3) The system cannot find the path specified.
The system cannot find the file specified.
Could Not Find C:\Users\Tommy\Desktop\patch\NULL
Press any key to continue . . .

I do not know why I am getting this error. as far as i can tell i did everything perfectly and it should give me done xxxxbytes written. I am now downloading Tiny Troopers from The-Eye (where I also got Bayonetta from) and hope that will fix the issue. But if that doesn't work i don't know how else to fix this issue. Any suggestions?

majortom027

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am running a windows 10 pro pc 64it. I have the patch folder extracted with a "keys.txt" "file and "Bayonetta_(Japan)_(En,Ja,Fr,De,Es,It)_[Trimmed].xci" (my switch is on 4.0.1). When I drag the XCI into the patch.bat I get the following:

unable to open C:\Users\Name\Desktop\patch\Bayonetta_(Japan)_(En: No such file or directory
ERROR:
Could not open input file
- System error: (3) The system cannot find the path specified.
Could Not Find C:\Users\Tommy\Desktop\patch\NULL
Press any key to continue . . .

I do not know why I am getting this error. as far as i can tell i did everything perfectly and it should give me done xxxxbytes written. I am now downloading Tiny Troopers from The-Eye (where I also got Bayonetta from) and hope that will fix the issue. But if that doesn't work i don't know how else to fix this issue. Any suggestions?

Tiny Troopers did not work.....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end