Tutorial  Updated

How to install the exFAT driver without updating!

This guide is outdated, use this easier guide instead: guide, original thread: ChoiDujourNX

Warning: Use at your own risk, using a wrong version of a game dump could prevent the console from booting.

Warning: Because we install the driver without ever requesting this from Nintendo, this could be detected if you go online and result in a ban.

Intro:

How to install the exFAT driver without updating you console.
I used the game dump "Penny.Punching.Princess.NSW-BigBlueBox" on my 3.0.2 Switch.
I'm assuming you know how FG works and how to send payloads to the console before proceeding.

There are two methods of installing this:
1, Stock: Installing it to the system like a cartridge would. This works on stock firmware but exFAT support would be lost after a system update.
2, CFW: When booting Horizon via hekate, a .kip1 file will be injected. The console's eMMC remains unaltered and will not have the driver loaded when booting normally and not via hekate.

Method 1, Stock:

Necessities:

- A console with firmware version 2.0 or higher (does not work on 1.0.0)
- A Game dump with an update on it that is the same version as the console (tested: trimmed xci works)
- Switch encryption keys (these can't be shared, Google 'nswroms' to find them)
- patch.zip: link
- TegraRcmGUI / TegraRcmSmash (TegraRcmGUI)
- memloader (https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/)
- HacDiskMount (https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/)

Steps:

step 1: Copy the contents of the sample directory of memloaderv1.zip to the root of your SD card.
step 2: Enter RCM using your prefered method: how-to-test-fusee-gelee.
step 3: Inject the memloader.bin payload that is located inside of memloaderv1.zip.
step 4: Select 'ums_emmc.ini' by navigating with the volume buttons and confirming with the power button.
step 5: open HacDiskMount as administrator and select 'Linux UMS disk 0':
9niP3aA.png
step 6: Double click BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main and a window will pop-up:
jl6PSBZ.png
step 7: Use the 'Start' button in the 'Dump to file' section to extract the partition.
step 8: (!) Create a backup of BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin and store it somewhere safe.
step 9: Create a new directory and extract the contents of patch.zip into it.
step 10: Copy the game dump and BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin to the same directory.
step 11: Create a file named keys.txt in the same directory.
step 12: Copy all of the Switch encryption keys to this file.
The keys.txt file should contain at least the following keys, replace the ... with the keys you found online.

master_key_00 = ...
master_key_01 = ...
master_key_02 = ...
master_key_03 = ...
master_key_04 = ...
aes_kek_generation_source = ...
aes_key_generation_source = ...
key_area_key_application_source = ...
header_kek_source = ...
header_key_source = ...
step 13: Inside of the directory we created, drag the game dump .xci onto the patch.bat file.
step 14: If the process executed successfully you should see something like this:
qfxpqd7.png

(The number of bytes can vary)
(Don't worry about the 'Failed to match key' warnings)
step 15: Go back to HacDiskMount and click on 'Browse' in the 'Restore from file' section and select BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin that we just patched.
step 16: Close the pop-up window and doucle click on BCPKG2-2-Normal-Sub.
step 17: Repeat step 15 and restore the same BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin file (optional, but advised).
step 18: Hold the power button on your Switch for 12 seconds to turn it off and then boot it again to see the results!

Results:

Before:
eJvxiBb.jpg

H0NszhP.jpg

After:
B5BL3UT.jpg

dqmIIc4.png

Credits:

@Raugo for creating the original Spanish tutotial: link

Method 2, CFW:

Necessities:

- Everything from method 1, except: memloader and HacDiskMount
- sdfiles.zip (https://github.com/tumGER/SDFilesSwitch/releases)
- hekate (https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases)

Steps:

step 1: Create a new directory and extract the contents of patch.zip into it.
step 2: Copy the game dump to the same directory.
step 3: Create a file named keys.txt in the same directory.
step 4: Copy all of the Switch encryption keys to this file.
The keys.txt file should contain at least the following keys, replace the ... with the keys you found online.

master_key_00 = ...
master_key_01 = ...
master_key_02 = ...
master_key_03 = ...
master_key_04 = ...
aes_kek_generation_source = ...
aes_key_generation_source = ...
key_area_key_application_source = ...
header_kek_source = ...
header_key_source = ...
step 6: Inside of the directory we created, drag the game dump .xci onto the patch-cfw.bat file.
step 7: If the process executed successfully you should see something like this:
8tVdyio.png

step 8: Copy the file FS.kip1 that was just created in the 'out' directory, to the root of your SD card.
step 8: Copy the contents of sdfiles.zip to the root of your SD card.
step 9: On your SD card, open hekate_ipl.ini inside of a text editor.
step 10: Add the following line below each boot entry that you want to inject:
Code:
kip1=FS.kip1
A boot entry is a line that starts with [ and ends with ], for example:
Code:
[CFW]
kip1=modules/newfirm/loader.kip
kip1=modules/newfirm/sm.kip
kip1=FS.kip1
step 11: Put the SD card back into your Switch.
step 12: Enter RCM using your prefered method: how-to-test-fusee-gelee.
step 13: Inject the hekate.bin payload

After booting hekate and selecting either 'stock' or 'CFW' from the 'Launch firmware' section, the exFAT driver will be injected!

Last edited by Quantumcat,

riyyi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
THEN WHICH installation method would you recommend?
Method 1 is more like stock behavior and I like the end-result better, but either way is fine. If you plan to use Atmosphere method 2 is just as good.
I use method 1 personally as I updated without burning fuses and that includes the exFAT driver.

Reactions: leon315

xHR

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
It the FS_510_exfat_nogc.kip1 from ChoiDujour's 5.1.0 unpacked update is exactly what I need for exFat on 5.1.0?

If i choose nogc will i have exfat support on horizon?

Last edited by xHR,

riyyi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It the FS_510_exfat_nogc.kip1 from ChoiDujour's 5.1.0 unpacked update is exactly what I need for exFat on 5.1.0?

If i choose nogc will i have exfat support on horizon?
Yes, that file will add exFAT support, nogc means 'no gamecard', so the slot is disabled to prevent updating it's firmware.
If you have the 5.1.0 update files already downloaded I would instead use:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/choiduj...ller-homebrew-for-the-nintendo-switch.513416/

hello all I have a 3.0.1 European how do I backup my game? or link me an xci correct thanks
You can use https://gbatemp.net/threads/gcdumptool-yet-another-nintendo-switch-game-card-dump-tool.508343/ to dump your cartridge.

xHR

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Yes, that file will add exFAT support, nogc means 'no gamecard', so the slot is disabled to prevent updating it's firmware.
So if i choose nogc exfat will be working too? I know about 'no gamecard' but exfat is not so clear for me.

And the last one question - there is no any options for exfat on cfw without disabling cartriges with external module?

noodles75

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Maybe dumb question, but just to be sure: I got a used switch with OFW 5.1.0 but the exFAT driver is not installed yet. I assume the easiest way to install the driver is to go online and just do it the official way. Or are there any reasons not to do so?

riyyi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
can i use method 2 with ReiNX?
Yes

Maybe dumb question, but just to be sure: I got a used switch with OFW 5.1.0 but the exFAT driver is not installed yet. I assume the easiest way to install the driver is to go online and just do it the official way. Or are there any reasons not to do so?
If you have .nsp games installed and dont want a risk a ban, installing it offline would be a safer option, if you don't care about that you can install it using using the official update.

noodles75

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yes

If you have .nsp games installed and dont want a risk a ban, installing it offline would be a safer option, if you don't care about that you can install it using using the official update.

I have not installed any .nsp, .xci or homebrew yet or even launched a cfw. All I did so far is to backup my NAND, get my biskeys, tseckeys and keys. So I assume its safe to install the official update. Thanks.

gust1337

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
couple days ago i recieved sx pro i used it like once and i got my sd card otherday
it is sdxc so switch didn't read it and it said it needs update so i was scared to update cuz of being banned by goin online
so i searched it.
found this video:
at the hacdiskmount part i used a wrong .xci game to patch after i restored the bins i just unplugged the usb cable
tried to turn on i didn't turn on when i plug the switch to pc it makes a "bip" noise but i can't put it to rcm mode or anything
is there any solution for this? or should i just trash the switch

and the hacdiskmount logs:

[13:05:35:621698] [info] Trying to read partition table from \\?\PhysicalDrive2
[13:05:35:646621] [info] Loaded primary GPT, checking secondary from offset 31268535808
[13:05:35:655899] [info] Secondary GPT is okay
[13:05:35:656231] [info] Using primary GPT as backup GPT is identical
[13:05:51:468038] [info] Dumped 8.000MiB in 0 minutes 3 seconds 28 ms (2.642MiB/s)
[13:17:39:283817] [info] Restored 8.000MiB in 0 minutes 2 seconds 937 ms (2.724MiB/s)
[13:18:12:128313] [info] Restored 8.000MiB in 0 minutes 2 seconds 994 ms (2.672MiB/s)
[13:21:30:389638] [info] Restored 0.000000B in 0 minutes 4 seconds 832 ms (0.000000B/s)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse