Tutorial  Updated

How to install the exFAT driver without updating!

This guide is outdated, use this easier guide instead: guide, original thread: ChoiDujourNX

Warning: Use at your own risk, using a wrong version of a game dump could prevent the console from booting.

Warning: Because we install the driver without ever requesting this from Nintendo, this could be detected if you go online and result in a ban.

Intro:

How to install the exFAT driver without updating you console.
I used the game dump "Penny.Punching.Princess.NSW-BigBlueBox" on my 3.0.2 Switch.
I'm assuming you know how FG works and how to send payloads to the console before proceeding.

There are two methods of installing this:
1, Stock: Installing it to the system like a cartridge would. This works on stock firmware but exFAT support would be lost after a system update.
2, CFW: When booting Horizon via hekate, a .kip1 file will be injected. The console's eMMC remains unaltered and will not have the driver loaded when booting normally and not via hekate.

Method 1, Stock:

Necessities:

- A console with firmware version 2.0 or higher (does not work on 1.0.0)
- A Game dump with an update on it that is the same version as the console (tested: trimmed xci works)
- Switch encryption keys (these can't be shared, Google 'nswroms' to find them)
- patch.zip: link
- TegraRcmGUI / TegraRcmSmash (TegraRcmGUI)
- memloader (https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/)
- HacDiskMount (https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/)

Steps:

step 1: Copy the contents of the sample directory of memloaderv1.zip to the root of your SD card.
step 2: Enter RCM using your prefered method: how-to-test-fusee-gelee.
step 3: Inject the memloader.bin payload that is located inside of memloaderv1.zip.
step 4: Select 'ums_emmc.ini' by navigating with the volume buttons and confirming with the power button.
step 5: open HacDiskMount as administrator and select 'Linux UMS disk 0':
9niP3aA.png
step 6: Double click BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main and a window will pop-up:
jl6PSBZ.png
step 7: Use the 'Start' button in the 'Dump to file' section to extract the partition.
step 8: (!) Create a backup of BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin and store it somewhere safe.
step 9: Create a new directory and extract the contents of patch.zip into it.
step 10: Copy the game dump and BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin to the same directory.
step 11: Create a file named keys.txt in the same directory.
step 12: Copy all of the Switch encryption keys to this file.
The keys.txt file should contain at least the following keys, replace the ... with the keys you found online.

master_key_00 = ...
master_key_01 = ...
master_key_02 = ...
master_key_03 = ...
master_key_04 = ...
aes_kek_generation_source = ...
aes_key_generation_source = ...
key_area_key_application_source = ...
header_kek_source = ...
header_key_source = ...
step 13: Inside of the directory we created, drag the game dump .xci onto the patch.bat file.
step 14: If the process executed successfully you should see something like this:
qfxpqd7.png

(The number of bytes can vary)
(Don't worry about the 'Failed to match key' warnings)
step 15: Go back to HacDiskMount and click on 'Browse' in the 'Restore from file' section and select BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin that we just patched.
step 16: Close the pop-up window and doucle click on BCPKG2-2-Normal-Sub.
step 17: Repeat step 15 and restore the same BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin file (optional, but advised).
step 18: Hold the power button on your Switch for 12 seconds to turn it off and then boot it again to see the results!

Results:

Before:
eJvxiBb.jpg

H0NszhP.jpg

After:
B5BL3UT.jpg

dqmIIc4.png

Credits:

@Raugo for creating the original Spanish tutotial: link

Method 2, CFW:

Necessities:

- Everything from method 1, except: memloader and HacDiskMount
- sdfiles.zip (https://github.com/tumGER/SDFilesSwitch/releases)
- hekate (https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases)

Steps:

step 1: Create a new directory and extract the contents of patch.zip into it.
step 2: Copy the game dump to the same directory.
step 3: Create a file named keys.txt in the same directory.
step 4: Copy all of the Switch encryption keys to this file.
The keys.txt file should contain at least the following keys, replace the ... with the keys you found online.

master_key_00 = ...
master_key_01 = ...
master_key_02 = ...
master_key_03 = ...
master_key_04 = ...
aes_kek_generation_source = ...
aes_key_generation_source = ...
key_area_key_application_source = ...
header_kek_source = ...
header_key_source = ...
step 6: Inside of the directory we created, drag the game dump .xci onto the patch-cfw.bat file.
step 7: If the process executed successfully you should see something like this:
8tVdyio.png

step 8: Copy the file FS.kip1 that was just created in the 'out' directory, to the root of your SD card.
step 8: Copy the contents of sdfiles.zip to the root of your SD card.
step 9: On your SD card, open hekate_ipl.ini inside of a text editor.
step 10: Add the following line below each boot entry that you want to inject:
Code:
kip1=FS.kip1
A boot entry is a line that starts with [ and ends with ], for example:
Code:
[CFW]
kip1=modules/newfirm/loader.kip
kip1=modules/newfirm/sm.kip
kip1=FS.kip1
step 11: Put the SD card back into your Switch.
step 12: Enter RCM using your prefered method: how-to-test-fusee-gelee.
step 13: Inject the hekate.bin payload

After booting hekate and selecting either 'stock' or 'CFW' from the 'Launch firmware' section, the exFAT driver will be injected!

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
SX OS has the most amount of issues compared to the other CFW. There are entire threads dedicated to games that do not run properly such as this one: https://gbatemp.net/threads/sx-os-2-0-firmware-6-0-list-of-games-not-working.519360/

Also .XCI are inferior to .NSP files in multiple ways. .NSP are faster and smaller than .XCI. You can also only install updates and DLC in .NSP format; they cannot be loaded using the .XCI format. Lastly, you can run .NSP files without an SD card unlike .XCI. As for CFW, ReiNX is the most-user friendly one of all. You can find a guide for it at https://reinx.guide/

If you are able to successfully load ReiNX, I would highly recommend checking out the homebrew app Adran Marit posted called ChoiDujourNX which can give you exFAT support on any firmware except 1.0.

Wow so 99% of my games are XCI what a screw up >.> I thought I could update with NSP even if I had an XCI since OS SX could use both. This really sucks, took me several days to gather them well but anyways thanks for all the help

Last edited by Zeriel,

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wow so 99% of my games are XCI what a screw up >.> I thought I could update with NSP even if I had an XCI since OS SX could use both. This really sucks, took me several days to gather them well but anyways thanks for all the help

You are able to install/convert your XCI games on ReiNX with a few tools

Installer: ZeroTwoXCI
Converter: dedbae XCI2NSP

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
You are able to install/convert your XCI games on ReiNX with a few tools

Installer: ZeroTwoXCI
Converter: dedbae XCI2NSP

!!! I didn't think you could go from XCI to NSP! That's amazing! so NSP is always reccomended over XCI? I guess NSP is like CIA and XCI are like ROMs?
The reason I liked XCI is because I heard that they simulate a game cartridge so I thought they would be safer from banning. I even heard about some people going online with them.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
!!! I didn't think you could go from XCI to NSP! That's amazing! so NSP is always reccomended over XCI? I guess NSP is like CIA and XCI are like ROMs?
The reason I liked XCI is because I heard that they simulate a game cartridge so I thought they would be safer from banning. I even heard about some people going online with them.
People have been for using .XCI files, both offline and online. They are not safer than .NSP files

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

yep, have been able to for a while now.
We don't know what exactly causes banning yet *shrug* @Draxzelex has a thread on banning HERE

Reactions: Draxzelex

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
yep, have been able to for a while now.
We don't know what exactly causes banning yet *shrug* @Draxzelex has a thread on banning HERE

I don't mind staying Offline, I only played Splatoon and the Switch Online "service" basically screwed us over. No dedicated servers, No voice chat, No anti-cheat, No cloud saves. It's like Nintendo abandoned us when they got Smash and Pokemon on the horizon :(

Well I'll try installing ReiNX and then convert ALL my XCI to NSP. Is this thread the only way to go exFat? because It didn't work for me. Patching the games with my 5.1 firmware kept giving me errors. I tried using Undertale and Senjo no Valkyria 4

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't mind staying Offline, I only played Splatoon and the Switch Online "service" basically screwed us over. No dedicated servers, No voice chat, No anti-cheat, No cloud saves. It's like Nintendo abandoned us when they got Smash and Pokemon on the horizon :(

Well I'll try installing ReiNX and then convert ALL my CXI to NSP. Is this thread the only way to go exFat? because It didn't work for me. Patching the games with my 5.1 firmware kept giving me errors. I tried using Undertale and Senjo no Valkyria 4

Use this homebrew app called > ChoiDujourNX
You will need to get the firmware from xbins tho

Reactions: Draxzelex

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ok Ill give that a try too, I guess I'm not sleeping tonight lol. Is it ok if I PM you if I run into trouble? Just in case xD
Also thanks for everything you've been very helpful and kind

no worries, though you'll probably get a quicker response for the reinx discord if you me or drax there :)

NuelhWEL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Adran_Mari, is there a way to link to my Nintendo account on the Nintendo Switch without having to update current firmware. I've researched everywhere but cannot find a resolve.

NuelhWEL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize for the misspelling my friend. You were gracious enough to answer and reply to my post. There must be a way to make a new account/ use an existing account without the firmware update..

ErTa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi.

Ich tried this tutorial yesterday and i failed. Now my switch don't boot anymore. Does anyone know what i can do now?

ErTa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Through some more trial an error fixes I have managed to restore the system to working order. I simply restore the correct main partition dump and it started right up, thank goodness. But I am still at a lost at finding an xci file with the same firmware as v6.0.0 to use exFat micro as card. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated, thanks

Hi. Can you Tell me how you restore the main partition dump?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: For real for real