Outbreak is new form of E. coli(bacterium)

Deleted member 473940

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

The E. coli outbreak in Germany is a new form of the bacterium, researchers and public health experts believe.

The infection can cause the deadly complication - haemolytic-uraemic syndrome (HUS) - affecting the blood and kidneys.

More than 1,500 people have been infected and 18 have died: 17 in Germany and one in Sweden.

In the UK, three British nationals have been infected - all had visited Germany.
[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

Miss Panda

Trophies
XP
Country
This situation is getting very bad now, too many deaths over such a wide area (no deaths as a result of this are acceptable but you know what I mean) . The Russians have banned all EU vegetable imports. And the Spanish cucumber farmers are threatening to sue the Germans.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nobody will ever find the source of contamination even with the EU's even more in depth food safety standards and investigation practices.

Hopefully it stays in Germany, I don't want to see it in Asia or NA for example.

Deleted member 473940

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hop2089 said:
Nobody will ever find the source of contamination even with the EU's even more in depth food safety standards and investigation practices.

Hopefully it stays in Germany, I don't want to see it in Asia or NA for example.
It will get out of hands if it does reach asia.
I fear however that it will..

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Oh so this is the yearly scare from the newspapers?

Whatever happened to the oh-so-dangerous swine & bird flues?

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
There will be a vaccine at some point of time, and when it's no longer a threat, another virus will appear. It's the trend.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
SamAsh07 said:
There will be a vaccine at some point of time, and when it's no longer a threat, another virus will appear. It's the trend.

It's not a virus, it's a bacteria. With bacteria, it is a matter of generally seeing if some form of penicillin can kill it. If not, they have to try to form a specialized antibiotic. Generally though, with E.Coli outbreaks, it is most important to find the source of contamination over trying to cure the problems it is creating. If the problem lies in a distributor that supplies only to Germany, it shouldn't be too terribly hard to figure it out.

Really, you just need to see where the last few places the person ate and what they ate before they became afflicted in order to really track down the problem area.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Nathan Drake said:
SamAsh07 said:

It's not a virus, it's a bacteria. With bacteria, it is a matter of generally seeing if some form of penicillin can kill it. If not, they have to try to form a specialized antibiotic. Generally though, with E.Coli outbreaks, it is most important to find the source of contamination over trying to cure the problems it is creating. If the problem lies in a distributor that supplies only to Germany, it shouldn't be too terribly hard to figure it out.

Really, you just need to see where the last few places the person ate and what they ate before they became afflicted in order to really track down the problem area.
Oh yes Bacteria...my previous post... gah, no wonder I gave up science after school.

Theraima

I own this desert, bitches!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Here in Finland the media is freaking out at this. Also something that in Germany when the people got sick, they blamed Spain for bad cucumbers or something like that.

I'll start paying attention to this when/if it reaches here.

Sausage Head

Lord Sausage LXIX
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
this is like 2 weeks old.

the cause could have been that the apples from a dutch farmer operating in spain fell on the ground while delivering them to germany.
back then there were 2 people dead and 1 dude was infected in the netherlands

edit before posting:
QUOTE said:
The source of the infection, originally blamed on Spanish cucumbers, is unclear.
apparently it were cucumbers. whatever

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The most vegetables contaminated with the bacterium (mostly salad, cucumbers and tomatoes) are from northern germany.

They believe that somehow animals have gotten that bacterium. They're not getting sick of it, but their manure is infected with it - which is used to fertilize the fields and everything. If that sticks to vegetables and is not washed off properly, you can get sick of it.

That's the vague picture I have of it. A bit mysterious yet where exactly the bacterium comes from and what can be done against it.

Acetic Orcein

Trophies
XP
Country
cosmiccow said:
The most vegetables contaminated with the bacterium (mostly salad, cucumbers and tomatoes) are from northern germany.

They believe that somehow animals have gotten that bacterium. They're not getting sick of it, but their manure is infected with it - which is used to fertilize the fields and everything. If that sticks to vegetables and is not washed off properly, you can get sick of it.

That's the vague picture I have of it. A bit mysterious yet where exactly the bacterium comes from and what can be done against it.

Yes that's it
smile.gif

For the origin of the bacteria, I'm guessing some EHEC randomly mutated in the wild and somehow got ingested by the animals while they were grazing. Then it came out in their manure, fertilised, not washed off... etc. I can't see anything sinister behind the origin because it's so common for E. coli to mutate/obtain virulence genes anyway.

Yeah and as stated, finding the source of infection and stopping that spread is the most important thing. Normally it's difficult because there will be the latent period- time between consuming the contaminated food and the time for infection to actually occur. So it might be difficult for some people to remember where they ate!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended