• Total voters

antnj81

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
which do you think most effectively gets you scared? You don't have to take the series as a complete whole (for those latter SH game haters out there).

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tank-controlled RE only served to piss me off, never played Siren, and only played one game from Silent Hill and Fatal Frame, so I don't how much weight my opinion has here.

I played Fatal Frame IV and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. Of those two games, Fatal Frame was certainly scarier with its extremely tense atmosphere without a moment of comfort, while Shattered Memories felt like it was partitioned into definitely safe sections and definitely unsafe sections, and it was a bit predictable when you'd transition from one to the other. So Fatal Frame I'd count as scarier, however I do understand Shattered Memories was a bit of a departure from the rest of the series. And even if it wasn't truly terrifying, I still did love the surrealism and interesting story.

Reactions: antnj81

antnj81

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tank-controlled RE only served to piss me off, never played Siren, and only played one game from Silent Hill and Fatal Frame, so I don't how much weight my opinion has here.

I played Fatal Frame IV and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. Of those two games, Fatal Frame was certainly scarier with its extremely tense atmosphere without a moment of comfort, while Shattered Memories felt like it was partitioned into definitely safe sections and definitely unsafe sections, and it was a bit predictable when you'd transition from one to the other. So Fatal Frame I'd count as scarier, however I do understand Shattered Memories was a bit of a departure from the rest of the series. And even if it wasn't truly terrifying, I still did love the surrealism and interesting story.

I love Silent Hill, but I didn't really get into Shattered Memories. I felt it was too linear and all the people you encountered in the town kept removing me from the immersive isolation, that the series was built up on. I know this without saying, but I highly recommend trying out earlier games from the SH, from 1 - 4 - they really have a different, unique flow than the last 4 games in the series.

If you can find Silent Hill 2 or 3, you'll never look back! :)

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Definitively fatal frame. Silent Hill 1 and 2 were amazing though, but ff has freaking old spooky mansions, that alone scares the living shit out of everybody.

Oh and I never conidered RE to be scary, heck even parasite eve got me more frightened as a kid.

(for any mistakes blame the android keyboard)

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love Silent Hill, but I didn't really get into Shattered Memories. I felt it was too linear and all the people you encountered in the town kept removing me from the immersive isolation, that the series was built up on. I know this without saying, but I highly recommend trying out earlier games from the SH, from 1 - 4 - they really have a different, unique flow than the last 4 games in the series.

If you can find Silent Hill 2 or 3, you'll never look back! :)
I probably won't play Silent Hill 1 as Tank Controls really do just annoy me, however I heard Silent Hill 2 added in the option for more traditional controls, so it has been on my radar as a game to play in the future.

Personally, I really did enjoy Shattered Memories and I feel it stands on its own as a game, however I can understand why fans of the franchise may not be high on it as it seems to be more of a Psychological Thriller than a Survival Horror. Judging it on it's own merits as a thriller, I thought it was very good, but if you go into it expecting a more horror-oriented affair, you may come out disappointed.

antnj81

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I probably won't play Silent Hill 1 as Tank Controls really do just annoy me, however I heard Silent Hill 2 added in the option for more traditional controls, so it has been on my radar as a game to play in the future.

Personally, I really did enjoy Shattered Memories and I feel it stands on its own as a game, however I can understand why fans of the franchise may not be high on it as it seems to be more of a Psychological Thriller than a Survival Horror. Judging it on it's own merits as a thriller, I thought it was very good, but if you go into it expecting a more horror-oriented affair, you may come out disappointed.

Shattered Memories isn't a bad game as a stand alone, but I just felt like it left out important distinguishing features... it's like ordering a pizza and they didn't add any cheese. If you do try Silent Hill 2 and/or 3, DON'T play the HD collection versions - they are seriously glitchy and broken and visually worse looking than the originals.
You should get them on original xbox, PC, or PS2.

Back to Shattered Memories, I agree - it's hardly a survival horror and more of a "Psychological thriller", as you put it. Once you quickly figure out that the otherworld is the only place you encounter anything dangerous or scary, the game loses a lot of steam real quick. That's just another thing that turned me off to this.

here's some major differences (compared to Shattered Memories) to look forward to in Silent Hill 2 & 3:

- the ability to fight
- monsters can be almost anywhere
- things can happen anytime
- weapons inventory
- disturbing array of monsters that symbolically reflect on the protagonist
- WAY less NPC's for the truest seclusion effect
- NO chase sequences
- brilliant stories
- gradual decent into otherworld
- various completely different endings (in SH2), that triggered based on various actions

take a look at this and see what you think. They are some revealed spoilers in the dialogue, so just look at the game play

The first 4 are DEFINITELY horror. Hope you like them :)

Reactions: grossaffe

antnj81

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Corpse Party.

None of the crap you listed is scary.

well, I was going to put it on this list, but I wanted to give the other 4 a fair shot, since Corpse Party is, easily, the most frightening video game anyone has ever seen on a console since:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

...on the Atari 2600 :unsure:
texas_chainsaw_massacre.png

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
D) None of the above.

I don't really get "scared" by horror games, mostly because they either rely on creepy atmospheric moods like Silent Hill or they just throw jump scares/loud noises at you like virtually every "indie" horror game ever made.

PT, the playable teaser for that new engine for the new Silent Hill game, was considered super mega scary and I didn't really have any issues with it. It was close, but...just didn't have that spark, the threat that should make you afraid.

antnj81

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D) None of the above.

I don't really get "scared" by horror games, mostly because they either rely on creepy atmospheric moods like Silent Hill or they just throw jump scares/loud noises at you like virtually every "indie" horror game ever made.

PT, the playable teaser for that new engine for the new Silent Hill game, was considered super mega scary and I didn't really have any issues with it. It was close, but...just didn't have that spark, the threat that should make you afraid.

I wasn't impressed by the PT teaser either - it was just a lot of scary imagery with some jump scares. I'm not into that.

I don't know if I speak for anyone else, but I don't feel legit fear from these games either. I just enjoy the aspect of a dark, morbid, horror environment/theme with an intense pacing; whether or not these games deliver true fear, they definitely deliver on the former.

Kinda like why people love rollarcoasters - no one gets on expecting it to fly off the track and die, so there is really no true fear. If you go into horror survival wanting to absolutely be terrified - based on your preset expectations - you will almost always be disappointed. I don't know lol

Have you ever played any of the Siren games? They don't use jump scares or creepy unnatural atmosphere

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wouldn't call Corpse Party scary in any capacity - the game is "unsettling", but it's not really scary.

I wouldn't consider being jumped at scary either. AKA what basically all of the listed games do.

The true essence of horror isn't having shit pop out at you randomly. Otherwise Jack-in-a-box and whack-a-mole have every horror game and movie in history beat.

Corpse Party is a title I actively feel an aversion to 100%ing. I don't want to see all the endings because most of them are juuuust fucked up. I'd say it does a much more successful job at conveying horror than most every horror game.

antnj81

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't consider being jumped at scary either. AKA what basically all of the listed games do.

The true essence of horror isn't having shit pop out at you randomly. Otherwise Jack-in-a-box and whack-a-mole have every horror game and movie in history beat.

Corpse Party is a title I actively feel an aversion to 100%ing. I don't want to see all the endings because most of them are juuuust fucked up. I'd say it does a much more successful job at conveying horror than most every horror game.

but Silent Hill and Siren doesn't use any jump scares. In all fairness, it doesn't sound you even actually played these games listed above and yet you think that a cutesy J-RPG-ish game with a dark theme is somehow way scarier

...or you're just trolled this thread.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Silent Hill.

I'm not too fond of jump scares or enemies you can't kill, so that's why I don't like Siren or the Resident Evil games... I've never tried Fatal Frame (but from what I've seen, it's riddled with jump scares).

Silent Hill has a few jumpies as well, but not at all as many as other games. But I really like the threat of not knowing if Pyramid Head will come, or hearing an enemy without seeing him.... yeah..

antnj81

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Silent Hill.

I'm not too fond of jump scares or enemies you can't kill, so that's why I don't like Siren or the Resident Evil games... I've never tried Fatal Frame (but from what I've seen, it's riddled with jump scares).

Silent Hill has a few jumpies as well, but not at all as many as other games. But I really like the threat of not knowing if Pyramid Head will come, or hearing an enemy without seeing him.... yeah..

Siren and Silent Hill (the first 4 - the ones that count lol) really don't use jump scares... the former is a straight forward walk and stalk horror survival and the latter is a psychological horror game that focuses on environment and random noise, none of which would be considered a jump scare.

Resident Evil does use them a little during cut scenes and Fatal Frame sometimes does as well in cut scenes, maybe at most like 2 - 3 times in a full game, so it's definitely doesn't happen enough to write it all off for, in my opinion

None. How can a game be scary if PewDiePie hasn't played it?

touche. lol

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Siren and Silent Hill (the first 4 - the ones that count lol) really don't use jump scares... the former is a straight forward walk and stalk horror survival and the latter is a psychological horror game that focuses on environment and random noise, none of which would be considered a jump scare.

Resident Evil does use them a little during cut scenes and Fatal Frame sometimes does as well in cut scenes, maybe at most like 2 - 3 times in a full game, so it's definitely doesn't happen enough to write it all off for, in my opinion

Yeah, Siren has unkillable enemies that's why I don't like that game.
But Silent hill DO have jump scares, but not many. (and yeah, the first four are the best ones).

Besides, zombie dogs jumping in from windows (or lickers jumping down from a roof, or through a window etc.) aren't considered jump scares?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: you could say it fell out.