Hacking Out of the loop, what's the best way to play n64 games?

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
i have to disagree, i have a original n64 and an hd tv and yeah compat is 100% but the games that are not expansion pack enhanced look like crap unless you have room to have a crt tv in your room, i dont unfortunely my room is already way too full so i prefer to mantain my hd tv that i also use for ps3,ps4,wiiu,switch and i also have ps2,xbox connected along with the n64.

I have RGB modded N64 and a Sony PVM and a CRT for other consoles. Never use HDTV for old consoles

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The OP does say what's the best way to play N64 games. A real N64 is imo, as does with everything else, because nothing beats the original system.
This might be the case for N64.
However I would prefer SNES emulators over a real SNES anytime.
Save states, video filters, network support, being able to backup savegames and use almost any controller I want are too many reasons to prefer emulators over real systems imho.
But that depends on how accurate the emulation is.
For SNES and NES it's top notch on almost all systems (Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iOS, Wii, PSP, Vita, NES Mini and so on) while it's not for N64, Wii U, 3DS, Dreamcast etc.

Reactions: Hayleia

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
compared to the jap only inject it runs amazingly xD
Does it? never liked how it ran on that emulator, the only issue i saw with the Jap inject was that was in... Well japanese. When i was young i 100% the game without knowing a bit of english, so a Japanese only version doesn't botter me at all.

TheTechGenius

</Web Dev>
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The OP does say what's the best way to play N64 games. A real N64 is imo, as does with everything else, because nothing beats the original system.

Honestly, I think the best way to play N64 games is on a PC with an Emulator and a X360/PS3 Controller. N64 Emulators on PC have many many features that the N64 system doesn't have. Such as better and higher Anti-Aliasing, 16:9 and 16:10 Aspect Ratio, Higher Resolution, Cheats without paying for the N64 GameShark cartridge, higher FPS with some games (I think, but I cant remember if N64 games are capped at 30FPS or not), and many many more. And now a days, any PC can run an N64 emulator, since its so lite weight and not very demanding.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Does it? never liked how it ran on that emulator, the only issue i saw with the Jap inject was that was in... Well japanese. When i was young i 100% the game without knowing a bit of english, so a Japanese only version doesn't botter me at all.
lol really? what about the wierd sound bugs, levels sometimes dont start at all, and sometimes the game even stuters.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Honestly, I think the best way to play N64 games is on a PC with an Emulator and a X360/PS3 Controller. N64 Emulators on PC have many many features that the N64 system doesn't have. Such as better and higher Anti-Aliasing, 16:9 and 16:10 Aspect Ratio, Higher Resolution, Cheats without paying for the N64 GameShark cartridge, higher FPS with some games (I think, but I cant remember if N64 games are capped at 30FPS or not), and many many more. And now a days, any PC can run an N64 emulator, since its so lite weight and not very demanding.

It's whatever rocks your boat and takes your fancy.

Personally, I prefer original systems and could easily emulate it all on my PC or Pi 3, yet it's more of the nostalgia experience from the dedicated consoles, regardless of all the bells and whistles and eye candy that emulators can add over the original.

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64 looks like ass no matter what you do so you may as well pick any option. I wouldn't play it on an hdtv or monitor without a scaler though. I own an rgb modded one. I have a crt and the framemeister and I've emulated it on retroarch. LIKE ASS.

D

Deleted User

If all you want to play is GoldenEye then I suggest you do a search for the PC fan remake GoldenEye: Source. Not sure if the forum rules allow me to provide a link for you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.