Out of curiosity...

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by ShadowSoldier, Jan 21, 2013.

Jan 21, 2013

Out of curiosity... by ShadowSoldier at 12:39 PM (840 Views / 1 Likes) 21 replies

1. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Huge TL;DR ahead, but I need your guys opinions and thoughts.

I had this idea recently that I should create videos and upload them to YouTube and get money and all that stuff from it. I'm no where near at a starting point yet as I'm still trying to get everything sorted out and find out what kind of videos I'll make. It'll be about video games though, and it will be me and my friend making them. So I want some of your guys' opinions on what kind of videos we should do.

What I had in mind was:

Video play throughs.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Reviews

Just us playing the game

Achievement playthroughs.

We won't just be doing good games or such, we'll play bad games as well.

We'll be doing all the consoles we have. Atari, NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, WiiU, PS1, PS2, PS3, 360, 3DS, DS, PSP and everything else we can find.

And all the money we get, it will go towards improving the show, so getting great cameras (right now we only have like 18mp digital cameras, but it will be good for a while until we can afford actual equipment), mics, better recording software, cameras, capture cards for 3DS and whatnot, more games, consoles that we can find. Everything will be going towards the show.

Basically I want to eventually be doing everything. Set up a schedule so certain things get uploaded on certain days throughout the week.

Is this something you guys might be interested in watching at all? Also what are some other things you guys would be interested in seeing if we do it.

xwatchmanx likes this.

2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    It would depend how good you are. Lots of people upload reviews and playthroughs and a lot of them are pretty shit. Personally I appreciate humour and a reasonable level of intelligence as well as the ability to speak without stuttering.

Black-Ice, The Catboy and Satangel like this.
  3. Lanlan

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    Whatever you do, please keep bad jokes out of the video. So many youtube videos turn me off because of horrible, drawn-out attempts at humor.

4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    The issue with all these things is that they're so common on Youtube. There's thousands of LPers, reviewers, walkthroughs, trophy runs, etc on there, all with bigger budgets and established fanbases. You'll really need a good hook to give you an edge over other channels.

What that edge is though, I don't know.

Sicklyboy likes this.
  5. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    He should do all of his videos in the nude. It would ensure he 'stands out.'

Joe88, Sicklyboy and Issac like this.
  6. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Canada
    There are a lot yes, but that's because people like different people and personalities. Someone may hate Ashens because it's boring looking at a fucking sofa (but I love Ashens, just an example), but really like Classic Game Room or something. People just prefer different things is all, and I figured instead of just doing one set of videos, why not do it all? I mean, I guess if I had to say right now, from my experience of years of playing games with my friend, he gets really really really pissed off to the point where he's screaming and really pissed off that would sure to make you guys laugh and shit, and for me, I noticed and so did he (As he said tonight I always do this when playing two player games), I'm evil. When we play games together, and we're trying to get something say an achievement or something that takes a lot of time, right when we're about to get it, at the last second I fuck us up by doing something. For example (play through any level without getting hit)... and then I'll end up hitting him just to piss him off.

That's just what I noticed, I'm sure there are other things, and I'm sure they'll appear in videos where people will notice it.

7. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Hmm...from your own descriptions, I'd say you already decided on "Just us playing the game". I don't watch that many different streams, but here's my breakdown:

-play throughs: when I'm stuck (eg. can't find a certain coin in NSMBU), I usually just google around a bit until I find the video with the explanation. If you're not going to dedicate yourself to one game (and upload many different ones with easily findable tags), then it really isn't the issue.

-reviews: this is tough, as most reviews online are basically "what I think of the game". Doing a good review is pretty hard, and you basically can't start uploading anything until you've finished the game already. I'm also not sure how wise it is to play it with someone gaming with a totally different view. What if one guy likes it and the other doesn't?
    (then again: this could be what sets you guys apart)

-just playing the game: seeing how that already gets you a head start, this is the main thing you want to build on. The fact that you're different in style is actually a huge plus. As any storyteller can tell you: conflict is what holds the attention (which is large part a reason why totally different characters get thrown together in novels and movies). If that is the natural way you guys play, then all the better. Assuming your friend doesn't get tired or frustrated when his efforts are being thwarted by your actions.

-achievement playthroughs: erm...take this comment with a grain of salt, as I never bother to watch one. To me, achievements aren't there for the game itself but for lengthening things without too much effort. I honestly don't care how fast you can run through a rayman level or how many accuracy you can muster up in Call of Duty. It could be fun (like trying to build the largest tower in world of goo), but I think it's only geared to those who already play the same game to death.

In any case...I would have said the same thing as Guild, though: you guys need a decent hook.

Take lagTV, for example. There are many starcraft casters out there. Novawar and MaximusBlack have a nice chemistry going, but it's main hook is the "when cheese fails" videos (where they show matches of people going for a very non-standard style in a sneaky attempt to quickly win the game...which usually fails somehow). It's that sort of unique hook that leads to success.

Good luck. :)

(but...'get money'? I'm not too familiar with casters, but I think you should be lucky if you could get someone to sponsor the games for you).

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    As others said you really do want a hook of some form as adding to the ocean of videos doing similar things might eventually work. Trouble is finding a good hook is hard work- the only ones kicking around in my head are hack the game (quite a barrier to entry) and that is not the easiest and twist reviews very hard away from the graphics, levels..... nonsense we mostly see now towards something closer either to a film review (hurr this is a COD clone becomes such a thing was seen earlier in ? but .....) or a game theory view; in the past I have called the graphics, levels..... review style apologist and will stick to that assessment- games have made it and have to stand as such. Either way I would want to come out swinging as well* so some basic animations (if you hack the game that can help) and very tight editing as you seem to be going for will be called for. This is OK as good freeware software exists (ease of use is a different discussion mind you) for a lot of it.

*as painful as it is (who does not love to press post) it might be worth gaining enough to ensure a backlog for the first say two months at whatever rate you are going for.

I am mainly here to say you mentioned mics on your list- get a good one first. You can get nice stuff for not an awful lot- though a good speaking voice is useful I can take a bit of stuttering where muddy audio means you had better be able to mime well (and nobody likes a mime).

As for watching it- make something good and I will partake. For all that has come before I will say even the best of the youtube/blip/game trailers/screw attack/[insert popular site] game review people could do with a lesson or three in film making so the task is not insurmountable.

9. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    I notice you mentioned having a "camera".
    If you're planning to record your TV while you play, you can probably just quit right now.
    No offense but there's a very small chance of you gaining a proper fanbase like that when there's so many higher quality videos of the same things out there.

Capture card or bust.

Sicklyboy likes this.
  10. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Canada
    Ya I know. I think he has one, I can't remember. If not then we're gonna have to do something until we can afford one. Well I mean, we can now, but we need our money.

But I suppose we could do just handheld reviews for now to try and get some change off of that until we can afford a really good capture card.

11. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    It's kind of like a gold rush. Everyone knows there's serious money to be made, and so tons of gamers jump in. Only so many people can strike it big, though - and it's only getting harder and harder for new people to break in.

Unless you have a really strong hook, and the production values to back it up, you're going nowhere.

I'm not trying to be mean or discouraging, but that's the reality of the situation. Unless you can find a niche and cater to it like there's no tomorrow, you're just not going to siphon viewers away from the millions of other gaming channels already out there.

wrettcaughn and Satangel like this.
  12. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Honestly none of those topics sound remotely interesting.

One topic you could attempt to capitalize in on would be tweakguides in video form, with direct comparisons and whatnot. Most of that stuff is relegated to text and pictures at the moment. It won't be excessively demanding, but make the right voice and be apt about it, and you can carve out a place.

You cannot be shit though. Otherwise someone better will come and take the concept and employ it on their own.

13. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    The problem is in life you usually need to spend money to make money.

Want a good job? Gotta go to college.
    Want to get sponsored? Have to get a capture card or nobody is gonna watch your camcorder videos of you playing Call of Duty online.

If you really, absolutely don't want to spend that money right away, then don't do console gaming. Do emulation or PC gaming that you can record from your own computer.

Also keep in mind that it's not just "Oh hey we're sponsored now, free X amount of money every month!" It's all based on views. If you get five views a month, even if you're sponsored, you're not making anything.

Two friends of mine just went and bought a capture card and a semi-professional microphone on a whim because they have the same idea. Their plan isn't to make money. They want to do it for the hell of it. Making money, if they do, somewhere down the road - that's just a bonus to them. They dropped ~$250 on the equipment before having anything planned out.

14. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Canada
    Good thing I didn't start right away like he wanted to.

So I'm thinking of just doing handheld stuff until we can afford all the necessities for consoles so it's good. I just gotta figure out what handheld stuff I should be doing.

15. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    As far as making money on youtube, you may run into a problem as video game/software visuals are not allowed to be monetization unless you created the software or have permission by the creator.

16. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Canada
    Well hey now, that`s a bit confusing. Lots of people get money off of YouTube and they just upload game videos. There`s gotta be some kind of rule around that where you can only show a certain amount or something.

I gotta look into that because that`s really confusing...

17. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    The game footage as potentially iffy bit caught me by surprise as well (not as much as people out there agreeing with people saying second hand might be bad mind you), though I can see the legal basis and people being able to monetise such things would do much to damage the "turn a blind eye" ideal that most seem to have been operating under. This is probably where your different things will trip you up- for purposes of criticism or review is a exemption in almost all copyright laws so you are good there. Satire is as well so pissing around in the game and lampooning it might also work, the other exemption is for education which would be hard to swing (though I would there in the courthouse to hear the case where someone argued a let's play or secrets run counted as education). The other option is fair use (this would the "only show ? seconds" and other such nonsense you seemed to be heading towards) and that is a nightmare field to slog through- satire and criticism/review is a clear cut case but what otherwise constitutes fair use can be argued for or against in many cases (and Canada's IP law and case law is an interesting place- on one hand it is not bad as there is a serious film/TV/game industry to help things and on the other it is trying to be little USA). That said you might even fall under US copyright law.

Several companies issue blanket statements to the effect of "use footage of our games for your reviews/video channels", the only real trouble is youtube seem to be a bit proactive and take complaints to heart meaning a few false calls and you find yourself without a channel (this is probably why people try to operate a blog/site rather than just a channel).

18. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Canada
    I feel like this is something I'm going to have to contact YouTube/Google about, because it seems like it's not entirely clear to anyone.

Obviously everything is going to be under 10 minutes (I think that's the time limit they give you now isn't it?) so not a whole lot of gameplay will be shown, I know that's played a part in some cases is the amount of content shown...

19. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    15 minutes was the last I heard (10 minutes went years ago) but if you are going to become a partner you usually get unlimited and there are other ways- http://support.google.com/youtube/b....com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=71673

Anyway yeah probably best to read up on youtube's policies as they could indeed be different compared to what is allowed by the law. http://www.youtube.com/yt/partners/program-policies.html would be a start and after about 30 clicks, most of which were relevant, I ended up on http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138161

20. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    There's no real time limit. I've uploaded over 50 videos and they range 20-65min.
    Might be a size limit though, not sure. Think my biggest vid is like...3-4gb?