OtherOS Removal Made Because of Financial Issues?

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems sony has filed a Amended Complaint, saying that they didn't remove OtherOs because of security concerns, but because of financial issues.

To Quote:

The Amended Complaint claims that Sony Computer Entertainment America didn’t remove OtherOS functionality due to security concerns. It had other options, if security had been the real issue. It was done, they claim, for financial reasons, and that Sony’s justification for the removal of Linux functionality was “false”, chosen so Sony could rely on the wording of various terms. They also point a finger at IBM, claiming that possibly IBM was not happy about the military using PS3s for clustering, instead of buying IBM Blades servers:

159. SCEA suggested initially that the removal of the “Other OS” function from the “fat” models in April 2010 was for security and intellectual property reasons.

160. On its website, SCEA wrote: Why did you delete the “Other OS” feature?

A. To protect the intellectual property of the content offered on the PS3 system as well as to provide a more secure system for those users who are enjoying games and other entertainment content on the PS3 system, we have decided to delete the feature to address security vulnerabilities of the system.

161. This statement is a fabrication. SCEA gave these reasons as a pretext so that it could attempt to argue that the Warranty, SSLA, and/or TOS allowed for the removal of the “Other OS” feature. In reality, SCEI and SCEA removed this feature because it was expensive to maintain (as they previously admitted when the feature was removed from the “slim” models – but which they conveniently removed from SCEA’s website); they were losing money on every PS3 unit sold (due to poor decisions in the planning and design of the Cell chip as noted above and given the PS3’s extra features); SCEA needed to promote and sell games to make their money back on the loss-leading PS3 consoles (and there was no profit in users utilizing the computer functions of the PS3); and IBM wanted to sell its expensive servers utilizing the Cell processor (users could cluster PS3s for the same purposes much less expensively).
[/p]

Source.

Oveneise

Trophies
Website
ACAdapterquotes.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
I smell lies.
unsure.gif

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can't say one day "security concerns" then the next say "we couldn't afford it".

I find it hard to believe that a multi-billion dollar company couldn't keep OtherOS up.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm confused... They sold the consoles for a loss, while advertising the OtherOS feature, then cut the feature, and now claim it was because it didn't generate any profit? Like that was a sudden realization?

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It just proves that they'll say whatever seems most palatable at the time in accordance with their PR department. The real reason is "because we felt like it, and don't really give a rats ass about the scruffy guys and their stupid DIY projects that don't contribute to our bottom line"

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why would Sony file an Amended Complaint about itself?

The Amended Complaint and the language used obviously shows the complainer IS NOT Sony. The actual article even points this out in the first line i.e. the plaintiff....Sony = defendant.

Basically, pure speculation as to why Sony took out OtherOS. Sony still maintains it's for security and admits nothing.

Ssx9

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is not really news. Rydian and some other users have been saying this for quite some time.

Back on topic...

ShadowSoldier said:
You can't say one day "security concerns" then the next say "we couldn't afford it".

I find it hard to believe that a multi-billion dollar company couldn't keep OtherOS up.

It's not like they couldn't keep OtherOS up, but they probably didn't want to. IMO, they only showed OtherOS to show the PS3's potential.

QUOTE(omatic @ Mar 10 2011, 11:25 PM) The financial reason makes more sense than the security reason. Regardless, not cool, Sony.

This came in handy for them. They were already planning to remove OtherOS. Once hackers started using this feature to help them in their researches, Sony had a good reason to tell as why they wanted to remove this.

But, then again, it's just my opinion. Opinions =/= facts.

Joktan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sony lies about everything so why not lie about to the court while they are at it...it doesnt afect me in anyway since i do not own a ps3 but it just proves that all they are after is money. i mean of course they are isnt everyone?but i wonder how this will turn out.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Joktan said:
sony lies about everything so why not lie about to the court while they are at it...it doesnt afect me in anyway since i do not own a ps3 but it just proves that all they are after is money. i mean of course they are isnt everyone?but i wonder how this will turn out.

Business want to make money? What a revelation.

I imagine it would cost a noticable money to keep other OS going despite not many people using it. Understandable decision, why spend money on a feature which not many people care about? I didn't use it, I don't miss it so I'm not going to complain about it.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
considering origionaly i used other OS for a second IM platform (aim yahoo ect) and to undestand linux more NOT TO HACK but when sony fucked with it it made me a hacker in other words sony turned me into what they fear most

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn