OtherOS Removal Made Because of Financial Issues?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Nujui, Mar 11, 2011.

Mar 11, 2011
  1. Nujui
    OP

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    It seems sony has filed a Amended Complaint, saying that they didn't remove OtherOs because of security concerns, but because of financial issues.

To Quote:

The Amended Complaint claims that Sony Computer Entertainment America didn’t remove OtherOS functionality due to security concerns. It had other options, if security had been the real issue. It was done, they claim, for financial reasons, and that Sony’s justification for the removal of Linux functionality was “false”, chosen so Sony could rely on the wording of various terms. They also point a finger at IBM, claiming that possibly IBM was not happy about the military using PS3s for clustering, instead of buying IBM Blades servers:

159. SCEA suggested initially that the removal of the “Other OS” function from the “fat” models in April 2010 was for security and intellectual property reasons.

160. On its website, SCEA wrote: Why did you delete the “Other OS” feature?

A. To protect the intellectual property of the content offered on the PS3 system as well as to provide a more secure system for those users who are enjoying games and other entertainment content on the PS3 system, we have decided to delete the feature to address security vulnerabilities of the system.

161. This statement is a fabrication. SCEA gave these reasons as a pretext so that it could attempt to argue that the Warranty, SSLA, and/or TOS allowed for the removal of the “Other OS” feature. In reality, SCEI and SCEA removed this feature because it was expensive to maintain (as they previously admitted when the feature was removed from the “slim” models – but which they conveniently removed from SCEA’s website); they were losing money on every PS3 unit sold (due to poor decisions in the planning and design of the Cell chip as noted above and given the PS3’s extra features); SCEA needed to promote and sell games to make their money back on the loss-leading PS3 consoles (and there was no profit in users utilizing the computer functions of the PS3); and IBM wanted to sell its expensive servers utilizing the Cell processor (users could cluster PS3s for the same purposes much less expensively).
    [/p]

Source.

2. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Seems like bull, what maintenance did it actually need?

3. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I smell lies. [​IMG]

4. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    You can't say one day "security concerns" then the next say "we couldn't afford it".

I find it hard to believe that a multi-billion dollar company couldn't keep OtherOS up.

5. omatic

Member omatic GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The financial reason makes more sense than the security reason. Regardless, not cool, Sony.

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
  7. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    You should fix the typo in the title and first post. [​IMG]

8. Nujui
    OP

United States
    What typo?

9. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Finical means finicky. You're looking for financial.

10. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    finical -> financial

11. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
    I'm confused... They sold the consoles for a loss, while advertising the OtherOS feature, then cut the feature, and now claim it was because it didn't generate any profit? Like that was a sudden realization?

12. Nujui
    OP

United States
    ah ok. Rydain, could you fix the topic title?

13. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It just proves that they'll say whatever seems most palatable at the time in accordance with their PR department. The real reason is "because we felt like it, and don't really give a rats ass about the scruffy guys and their stupid DIY projects that don't contribute to our bottom line"

14. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Why would Sony file an Amended Complaint about itself?

The Amended Complaint and the language used obviously shows the complainer IS NOT Sony. The actual article even points this out in the first line i.e. the plaintiff....Sony = defendant.

Basically, pure speculation as to why Sony took out OtherOS. Sony still maintains it's for security and admits nothing.

15. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    BULLSHIT

16. Ssx9

Member Ssx9 GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    This is not really news. Rydian and some other users have been saying this for quite some time.

Back on topic...

This came in handy for them. They were already planning to remove OtherOS. Once hackers started using this feature to help them in their researches, Sony had a good reason to tell as why they wanted to remove this.

But, then again, it's just my opinion. Opinions =/= facts.

17. Joktan

Member Joktan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    sony lies about everything so why not lie about to the court while they are at it...it doesnt afect me in anyway since i do not own a ps3 but it just proves that all they are after is money. i mean of course they are isnt everyone?but i wonder how this will turn out.

18. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Business want to make money? What a revelation.

I imagine it would cost a noticable money to keep other OS going despite not many people using it. Understandable decision, why spend money on a feature which not many people care about? I didn't use it, I don't miss it so I'm not going to complain about it.

19. chrisrlink

Member chrisrlink Rouge Temper

United States
    considering origionaly i used other OS for a second IM platform (aim yahoo ect) and to undestand linux more NOT TO HACK but when sony fucked with it it made me a hacker in other words sony turned me into what they fear most

20. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom