friedchicken

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got an old laptop running P4 and 384rams.
I use it for school so all i need is web browser, pdf reader/editor, firewall & antivirus, and ms word.
Im currently no xp sp2 but am willing to try whatever that can speed up boot time with minimal background program running.

I havnt tried Ubantu, Gentoo or other linux based OSes. I wonder if install those, would they still work with ms office and would it decrease my overall lag.

I would no go back to win95/98(the horror) and even win2000. I also hate mac os (used them at school, not very fond of it)

I guess what im saying is, is it worthwhile to migrate to linux based os.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Ubuntu is fine for old laptops. You'll have to use OpenOffice, but it opens and saves MS office files without a problem. You won't need an antivirus, firewall probably not but linux has tons of security apps (firestarter comes to mind), there are a bunch of free PDF readers, and web browser : firefox, the best imho.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Guys, don't take this the wrong way, and I don't know how old most of you are, but please stop it with the "for beginners" crap. It's not a competition about "who is the best at using a computer", it's about achieving worthwhile shit while using a fucking TOOL.

There's a reason Ubuntu is popular right now, it's because there is not ONE TIME when you need to fiddle with goddamn CLI crap. I know exceptions exist for some hardware, but it's not like you're compiling it from scratch. If I wanted to fuck around with an obscure user interface and call myself elite, I could always dig my old Oric.

PS : If you were born after the aforementioned machine... Don't even bother replying. You have this chance to use an OS and software that "just work", don't snob it. I am totally sympathetic to LFS users, though, as it's a great learning tool!

fischju_original

I used to be a jerk before i got banned
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.dpgdownloads.com
XP
Country
United States
keep windows if thats what you're used to. linux can get very confusing, the time you spend figuring out how to work it will be longer than the time it saves booting apps. Turn all of the good looking stuff in XP off, you'll get a huge performance boost

friedchicken

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ran live ubantu
there's no video driver for the laptop meaning that it is stuck at 800x640 and the shitty dell laptop wont upconvert the pixels to fit the screen.
i guess no ubantu for that laptop.

Im going to have to look for black vipers xp guide =/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse