Original XBOX = Media Center?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Xbox' started by SeanoRLY?, Jul 20, 2008.

Jul 20, 2008
  1. SeanoRLY?
    OP

Member SeanoRLY? GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    So I was watching the broken earlier on (awesome underground series made a few years ago), and in episode 3 they modded the original xbox and showed a few things it could do. One of the things that stood out for me was that someone made a media center type program for it, and it streamed video files from the HD. I was wondering if anyone knew more about it, as in, what file types the xbox could run.

I was thinking that modding/soft modding an original xbox would be a great and very cheap solution to a media center. I'd probably only use it for anime/movies/tv-shows, etc and the majority of those are in AVI which I'm guessing it can run, but a lot of new groups are now encoding in MKV and for dual audio files, OGM. Does anyone know if the Xbox could handle MKV/OGM files?

So yeah, I can pick up an original Xbox for like 20 quid, so it'd be great for backing media onto the HD for streaming to a nice big TV. Does anyone have any good links to explaining how to do that?

I'll go check on Xbox Scene, but their Original Xbox tutorial section is HUGE so it might take a while to cive though.

Thanks guys!

2. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    That's the XBMC. It basically plays everything you downloads from the Internet.

You need to mod your Xbox to install XBMC, I recommend softmodding.

3. chuckstudios

Member chuckstudios Putting the pro in procrastination

United States
    Use this guide to softmod your Xbox (it costs nothing, no materials to buy).

XBMC is available here.

Also, XBMC supports everything. No joke. AVI, MKV, OGM, VOB, MOV, etc...

4. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    It will not stream HD content.

5. SeanoRLY?
    OP

Member SeanoRLY? GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Thanks a lot for the quick feedback guys! I'll check out the tutorial. Guess it's time for me to buy a xbox ;D

Guess it's a no go for MKV files then. That's OK though, AVI should be enough and I can always convert the files for the Xbox.

Thanks once again guys!

6. chuckstudios

United States
    MKV works, as MKV is just a container. It's just more likely to have (non-working) HD content inside.

7. matriculated

Member matriculated GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Yeah it won't do HD but it upconverts to 1024i very nicely - beats the hell out of my DVD player.

8. Corizzle

Newcomer Corizzle Advanced Member

Canada
    MKV will work fine, I have watched plenty of Anime that was in MKV (with duel audio/subs). As mentioned if it's in HD it won't play though.

The XBOX is probably the best media centre you can get other then an actual Media Centre PC. Especially given how easy it is to mod. I have 3 in 3 different rooms and they all are barely used for games anymore.

9. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    This thread is relevant to my interests...

Does the xbox come with a HD? How big? What form-factor HD does it use?

What the max resolution it can play? Can it play 1280x720?

10. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    Generally an 8GB hard drive but it's not difficult to swap it out with a larger one. It's a standard 3.5'' IDE hard drive. I still maintain that it is one of the cheapest media center solutions out there for standard definition content.

11. chuckstudios

United States
    It's actually 10GB most of the time, but the other 2GB is unpartitioned by default. I have a 500GB in mine, putting in a new drive simply consists of getting a key off the original and applying the key to the new one (locking) with a special Linux live CD. Also, 1280x720 qualifies as HD. Standard definition is usually around 700 pixels horizontally and 500 pixels vertically.

12. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Just thought I might chip in over how awesome XBMC is. I installed it a few months ago and the updates kept coming in within weeks. Didn't even need to update it that often.

It was a pain at first to learn about FTP but now I look back and think how stupid could I be to not even know FTP.

Swapping HDD is easy. The inside of the Xbox is essentially just a PC in a console so you just swap cables and that's it. The Xbox as a games machine was okay but with XBMC it was what made me NOT sell the Xbox. Just a shame that there's nothing like it for the 360... yet

13. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Ah, its just that its a celeron that around 700mhz, which is I think a similar one on my old PC, which can run 720p/i video...

14. Scathraax

Member Scathraax GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Holy crap.. hotswapping seems so very complicated. [​IMG]

I think I'll continue to look for a copy of one the 3 softmod enabling games.

15. matriculated

Member matriculated GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    You're better off just putting the XBOX on your network using SMB and streaming video off your PC.

16. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    You need to buy a screwdriver [​IMG]

17. chuckstudios

United States
    It's really not that bad. Besides, you have to do it (partially at least) in order to upgrade the HDD.

18. pika3000

Member pika3000 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You should check EBgames for a copy of splinter cell (even platinum copies work), a friend told me that he saw it there for a dollar. If you need a Datel USB to Xbox device then you should check out this manual http://www.instructables.com/id/Better-Usb-Adapter-for-XBox/ on how to make your own and if you have a PSP you can use that to transfer the save data but back up the memory stick pro duo first.

19. sunnytimes

Member sunnytimes GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    XBMC rules!! if you have HI-def this skin is awesome.. www.aeonproject.com .. also i highly recommend keeping your XBMC up to date with new versions , and if you haven't updated in a long time it gets better everyday :]

for more skins this is the best app .. http://s205077464.onlinehome.fr/ .. super easy to get alot of up to date skins right from the official skin project SVN ..

20. rscarrab

Member rscarrab GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    Definetely get your xbox modded. I have mine hard modded (its a v1.0) with the Xecuter 3 chip and i can vouch for it, hasn't given me a prob (not that IT should). Getting my xbox modded was well worth it, id recommend you get it hard modded with a chip and then get a hard drive installed, the bigger the better. Im using a 120gb HDD and i always find myself wishing i had more space!! If your PC is nearby, Hook it up with an ethernet cable and FTP all your media/ISO's/roms onto the xbox. If anything the xbox is by far the best console for homebrew and emulators. As another poster pointed out xbox-scene.com has all the information.
    One thing though that annoyed me when i first started FTP'ing to the xbox; Filenames have to be 80 characters or less. As opposed to 128 characters. All files on xbox cant exceed 80 characters, remember that. Renaming rom sets took ages, not as long as trying to figure out why they wont FTP in the first place...