Hacking Original Xbox controller for GameCube games!!

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so this is awesome!! I purchased these two controller adapters in hopes of getting to play GameCube games with my original Xbox controller. Well I received them a couple days ago and I'm here to report that it WORKED!!

Currently I'm using Devolution r197. Recently, I've considered upgrading to r200 because I was interested in using something other than the GameCube controller. I have a Wii Classic Pro controller, and a PS3 controller, but I didn't see the point of upgrading to r200, then having to re-verify all my games, just so that I could use controllers that I didn't want to use.

So instead, I stayed with r197 and started looking at GameCube controller adapters. I found a bunch that were PS2 to GameCube, but I didn't want to use the PS2 controller. Yes, it's triggers are analog, but the travel distance of the DualShock 2's L2 and R2 triggers are in no way comparable to the GameCube's triggers.

Then.. I found another adapter that went Xbox to PS2. My hopes were that I'd be able to daisy-chain these two adapters together so that I'd have one combo adapter that went Xbox --> PS2 --> GameCube. And as I mentioned earlier, it WORKED!

The two adapters I used were the "XP Joy Box" (Xbox to PS2), and the "GameCube Joy Box" (PS2 to GC).
xb2ps.jpg
scp1wn9g.jpg

I feel that the button mapping across all the adapters, is perfect.
button mapping small.jpg

As long as the Analog switch is turned on, on the Xbox to PS2 adapter, everything will work perfectly. I tried it out with Super Mario Sunshine and it felt great. The analog triggers acted exactly the way they were supposed to.

Since these adapters were daisy-chained, I was expecting for there to be some lag, but I was pleasantly surprised when I didn't notice any at all. Not only did I not notice any lag, but the analog sticks on the Xbox felt more responsive then the GameCube ones. I'd describe it as "Fast" or "Twitchy". Which can be good or bad depending on who you are.

You may have noticed, on the button mapping chart, that the X and B buttons are switched. The buttons are mapped according to the location of each button on the controller, and not the button name. The GameCube's "B" button corresponds with the location of the Xbox's "X" button. So it all feels completely natural.

So far I'm completely happy with this setup. And I'm more than excited to get to experience awesome GameCube titles on a controller that I actually enjoy. Hope this helps those that are looking for another alternative to the GameCube controller.

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to hear. I still have my SmartJoy adapter for my PSone controller to usb. Works flawlessly too.
Our world is better because of controller adapters. :P

Also, you mentioned your PSone controller. I didn't mention it in my original post but the PS2 to GameCube adapter is actually compatible with Dualshock 1's, Dualshock 2's, and DDR dance mats. And I don't think it's lists it, but I'd imagine that PS1/PS2 fighting sticks would work too. I'm not sure if 3rd party controllers work. And I'd bet that original PSone (pre-dualshock) controllers would work too, although I can't imagine that it would be much fun trying to play without the L-Stick and C-Stick.

So yeah, if people are reading this thread and just wanted to use the Playstation controllers, they'd obviously only need the one adapter. I prefer the Xbox controller. Hence the need for daisy-chaining. -- I even bought a PS2 to Dreamcast adapter so that I could daisy-chain with the Xbox to PS2 adapter and use the Xbox controller on the Dreamcast.

With the 3 adapters I have now, I can use the Xbox controller for all Sixth-Generation consoles.

Pheinte

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Some time ago, when looking for a Gamecube controller solution, i read on the internet that those two adapters would turn an original Xbox controller compatible with Gamecube, even though there's no adapter that converts directly an original Xbox controller to Gamecube.

Original Xbox controller S is my favorite controller ever.

I already had the original Xbox controller, but i believe the two controller adapters were a little too expensive, so i just bought a new PS2 controller + PS2 to Gamecube controller adapter.

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some time ago, when looking for a Gamecube controller solution, i read on the internet that those two adapters would turn an original Xbox controller compatible with Gamecube, even though there's no adapter that converts directly an original Xbox controller to Gamecube.

I already had the original Xbox controller, but i believe the two controller adapters were a little too expensive, so i just bought a new PS2 controller + PS2 to Gamecube controller adapter.
Yeah, I remember back when I was trying to find a Dreamcast solution, that those adapters were expensive. The Dreamcast one's are actually still a little pricey, but not too bad.

The two that I mentioned earlier in this post weren't too bad. I got the XP Joy Box for just under $20, and the GameCube Joy Box for like $13. The Dreamcast one that I had mentioned getting was almost $30 by itself, which isn't horrible, but it's somewhat pricey for a controller adapter.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States

I also love my S controller, it's so damn comfy!

BaffleBlend

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for bumping this, and I'm saying that non-sarcastically.

I actually like the big ol' Duke unlike most people (I'm a Dreamcast enthusiast - the Duke was based on the DC - and I have huge sausage hands), so I was wondering if something like this would work. This is good to know.

EDIT: It seems the XP Joy Box is completely out of print. Never mind...

Last edited by BaffleBlend,

terns21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tnx from the other thread, it seemed i can use my ps3 controller on my wii! Sweet, since i dont have to worry anymore about adaptors :)

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will this work on my Xbox controller and modded WII?
Yes it does! And, congrats on getting your PS3 controller working.

The Wii modding scene is definitely better now than it was when I originally bought those adapters. Back then I was using DIOS MIOS to play GameCube games, but due to its limitations, it didn't allow for Wii Remote compatibility or HID controller support. Now I use Nintendont and simply connect a Wii Classic Controller Pro to a Wii Remote. And, if I'm playing those select few GameCube games that support Analog Triggers (pressure sensitive), I swap out the Wii Classic Controller "Pro" (which has digital L/R shoulder buttons) for the original Wii Classic Controller (which has analog L/R shoulder buttons).

I'll still go back to these adapters every once in a while, simply because I like the feel of the original Xbox controller, but it's not necessary. And as much as I like the original Xbox controller I wouldn't recommend this method today. Those adapters are getting harder to find. They can be pricey when you do find them. And not everyone has a Wii with GameCube controller ports. Though if they really wanted to try and use an Xbox controller they could probably try this adapter too.

Reactions: terns21

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father