Original Viper chip install not working - help needed.

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by SG, Apr 2, 2008.

1. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Installed it today. The yellow wire was only, like 2cm long.

Had to remove heatsink to get it in, replaced but didn't reapply the paste as the paste on there was sticky and gooey anyway so should have re-adhered easily enough.

I have yet to buy a parallel port cable but that's not the problem. I booted up the GC to see if I got anything at all - I believe I should have a prompt on the screen? The Cube turns on but nothing comes on screen, and the power light flashes for half a second before going off. Does anyone know what this could be?

I'm a bit desperate here!

2. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    When soldering to the IC leg, did you bridge it?

3. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Not sure what an IC leg is, I think you mean one of the metal strands that the yellow attaches to (2nd from left). My friend did that bit and he was very careful not to bridge anything that's not meant to be bridged.

4. DarkCamui

Member DarkCamui GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    It's black cuz you have to flash the chip first. I had the same problem some years ago.

5. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Can I ask about the GC light going on for only a second though?

6. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda
    I can't remember clearly what happens when you start with the chip unprogrammed, I thought it just booted up as normal unchipped gamecube, but i could well be wrong.... my memory is shot from too much dope (don't do it kids)

anyway you need to programme the chip via the programmer and parallel port, you can do this without the lead by just taking the bracket off the programmer and directly pluggin it in the parallel port. what i do remember though is that the programmer is funky and takes several tries and mucking about before it flashed correctly.... try reading the chip, verifing ect in the flashing software and then it should flash ok.

7. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Righto, I haven't got a parallel cable yet so I can't program it. I was lead to believe that the normal GC screen should come up, especially as the programmer can disable the chip with the switches in the right position.

Anyway, I double-checked the wires. Everything was firmly soldered on to the right points. HOWEVER...

On the board - which is an A or B revision, the area where the black wire is meant to be soldered was already soldered into a reverse L-shape like the revision C picture (both are below). Should I be using the iron to remove the solder from my board to separate the reverse L shape so that it appears as in the A&B picture, and not the C picture? It is definitely an A/B board, as the chip for the yellow wire is in that exact place, and the rest of the board is identical too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. sidneyyoung

Bermuda
    I would tripple check what board revision you have, because it sounds like a 'c'. Also don't try to seperate the L shaped joint.

note.. as i said in my previous post, you do not nead the lead to programme the chip, just take the bracket off the programmer, plug it in directly to the parralel port.

9. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Oh, I seeeee... of course!

Was thinking that both were the same gender and the lead was to allow them to join up, but yeah it will go straight in! I have the loader but I need to find some files now. Can I ask what the latest version of Cobra was? What about GCOS?

OK, as for my board revision - just take a look at my photos (not very good, sorry):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    2.1 is latest cobra version.

11. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Thanks, yeah - just found it.

Does the chip have to be in the Cube for flashing? I have the parallel programmer plugged into the back of my PC and the chip connected to it but the writer isn't detecting the chip. [​IMG] Obviously it's not in the Cube at the moment. The instructions say that the Cube should be on (and therefore chip in Cube) when it's being flashed.

EDIT: given what the programmer tells me about the GC being on, yes it does. Right, I'll put the Cube back together and see where I can get with this...

If it's all well and good, I don't understand why the light goes off straight away though.

12. henkp

Newcomer henkp Advanced Member

Netherlands
    Correct, and you do have an A/B-board (look at the heap of pins to the left)
    Can't it be that your viper is shorting some pins on the board?
    Other thing i can think of is indeed the small L-shaped joint which should not be L-shaped in my opinion, because it ís an A/B-board

Good luck!

PS. Pff, first post in English in a while, took me about 10 minutes to think of the right words...

13. sidneyyoung

Bermuda
    yeh, definately an 'a or b'

also note, the viper doesn't have to be in the cube for programming

make sure you have the ribbon cable in the correct way round, make sure the parallel port is in the correct default mode in your pc bios

if you get errors using the flash programming software, just keep mucking about with it, i done 3 and all 3 programmers and software was very flaky, try using the 'read' and 'verify' option a lot, this seems to get everything going.

about your solder job, make sure the yellow wire isn't shorting on the heat sink

14. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Thank you both. Nothing on the board is shorting it - I just checked.

I tried programming when it was in the Cube and on - still nothing!

If it doesn't have to be in the Cube as sidney says, it will make things easier. Can I ask what the correct default would be in my BIOS for my parallel port? I never paid it any attention to it before.

There are only 3 parallel port address options on the Viper loader and I tried all three.

15. sidneyyoung

Bermuda
  16. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Thanks, I already have those instructions though.

I reset the PC, 3 address options - mine's at 378. Apart from that I don't know what I'm looking for. All I can tell you is that even with 378 set to the address, the GC loader doesn't want to know. Is it possible that the programming cable has been damaged? It's been bent around a few corners!

The joined up bit like the C board could be the problem possibly. Could I harm the board by separating the pre-soldered parts to make the board appear like revision A/B? I had a go earlier but it really doesn't want to budge - I'm considering just working away at the join gently with a Dremel bit to separate the link.

17. sidneyyoung

Bermuda
    have you tried the bus cable both ways ?, i can't rememeber wether the blue edge need to be facing up or down.

otherwise you may have a dead chip, which might explain why the cube turns itself straight off

18. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Yeah I've checked, blue side up is what it's meant to be.

19. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    i think your yellow cable is shorting with the heatsink, this is a very common problem.

after soldering the yellow wire you should apply some tape over it to avoid it making contact with the heatsink.

20. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Hurrah! You were right!

Taped it up, turned on! Currently playing Monkey Ball 2, burned Luigi's Mansion and it gave me trouble - I suspect the media type; it was a different disc.

Thanks everyone!