You have sustained a lethal injury.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yesterday I managed to install both the SMB1 and SMB3 on my Pal Wii with the WAD-installer.
Both games have an issue: Super Mario Bros runs way too fast and SMB3 has the flickering at the side of the screen. I always thought the screen flickering was an emulator issue.

I was wondering if I would download the original VC games, would I have the same problems? I mean I don't mind a bit of flickering but Super Mario Bros running twice as fast is quite annoying. In this case it would seem a rip-off to me.

Right now I'm even thinking of uninstalling SMB because it's not feeling like the original when it runs this fast.

duncans_pumpkin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
how do you know its going to fast wheres your proof. And also nintendo made there emulators as accurate as possible down to the mistakes.

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
berlinka said:
Drkirby said:
I may be wrong, but most likely.

How come I can't find anything when googling it? I would expect that if the official VC games had these issues more people would complain.

hmm i have the SMB:Lost Levels (same thing as the original, just diferent levels) and it runs "normal", it doesnt move faster or anything like that

Animae

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In Super Mario Bros. the game doesn't run too fast, only the music does.

The flicker in Super Mario Bros. 3 is normal as far as I know. I think it had something to do with Overscan and the NES's hardware restrictions:
CODEOverscan is extra image area around the four edges
of a video image that is not normally seen by the viewer.
It exists because television sets in the 1930s through 1970s
were highly variable in how the video image was framed
within the cathode ray tube (CRT). -Wikipedia
So it would not normaly show, except on newer TVs and emulators.

B-Blue

slut
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Antarctica
WeaponXxX said:
Mega suckage on the lines. A total fuck you to the fans I think.

Collect the coins, dammit
hate2.gif

tongue.gif

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Animae said:
In Super Mario Bros. the game doesn't run too fast, only the music does.

Aha! I thought there was something strange, but that's it! I know the music so well and I immediately noticed it was going to fast, but the game itself didn't feel that much faster. So probably worth playing after all. Thanks.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
That flicker in SMB3 is to recreate the original feel. To be honest, I'm used to the NES version so I never really noticed it!
tongue.gif

I've never noticed any abnormalities in SMB1, except for the general ones you'll get in the NES version.

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Animae said:
CODEOverscan is extra image area around the four edges
of a video image that is not normally seen by the viewer.
It exists because television sets in the 1930s through 1970s
were highly variable in how the video image was framed
within the cathode ray tube (CRT). -Wikipedia
So it would not normaly show, except on newer TVs and emulators.
Well that could explain why my TV back in the 90's didn't have the garbled crap on the sides... however I coulda sworn my TV was from the 80's. Regardless, it is bullshit they didn't fix it.

QUOTE(The Teej @ Apr 22 2008, 04:25 PM) That flicker in SMB3 is to recreate the original feel. To be honest, I'm used to the NES version so I never really noticed it!
tongue.gif

I've never noticed any abnormalities in SMB1, except for the general ones you'll get in the NES version.
Don't fucking kid yourself. They didn't recreate shit for any nostalgic feel. If they did they would have an option to turn it on and off as MY tv didn't have the garbled shit on the sides. It is just another prime example of Nintendo saying, "recode and optimize our code? fuck you and just give us your money you dumb fanboy." And of course with my shit grin smile I just nod and say okay. Out of the 30+ VC games I bought SMB3 is the only one I regret so far except for a few TG16 gambles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool