Original 'Valkyria Chronicles' For Switch Announced In Japan

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Apr 15, 2018.

Front-page
    switch valkyria chronicles.JPG

Earlier today during its SEGA Fes event, SEGA made a few Valkyria announcements. They announced that the Switch version of Valkyria Chronicles 4 will be delayed to this fall in Japan, with no word about whether it will affect the Western version's release.

As a surprise, it was also revealed that the original Valkyria Chronicles will also land on the Nintendo Switch's eShop this fall in Japan. The game will come with all previously released DLCs and will cost 1,990 yen (~$18.5). Those who will purchase the Switch version of Valkyria Chronicles 4 will be able to pick the first title for 500 yen (~ $4.5).

There is no word about a Western release for the original title as of yet.

:arrow: SOURCE

Discussion (21 replies)
  1. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Woohoo, portendo strikes again!

Y0shII, TheVinAnator and ANTONIOPS like this.
  2. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    SWITCH is the console for old portings haHAA!

moree and more portings pls!

Peloisan likes this.
  3. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Is it any good? I've never played the original but I've heard the name come up occasionally

KingVamp likes this.
  4. leafeon34

leafeon34 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    I thought it was alright, but then there was a massive difficulty spike in one of the early levels (chapter seven I think). I didn't care about the game enough to keep on trying until I got through it.

KingVamp and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  5. emigre

emigre An electric type pokemons

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    It's an excellent game. I have no shame in saying I have bought it three times.

KingVamp and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  6. koyuki38

koyuki38 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 2, 2015
    France
    Excellent game, weird game mechanic anyway. And usually, the best ranks when beating a stage are achieved using stupid unrealistic strats. Imo that's the only weak point of the game, it would be better by not allowing such plays.
    (exemple here : ).

Last edited by koyuki38, Apr 15, 2018
    Catastrophic likes this.
  7. Dan-the-Rebirth

Dan-the-Rebirth GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2014
    Australia
    May you can help me: I only played the game till the point where you battle the giant tank and the spear lady(save game corrupted) how far was I?

8. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    It's the greatest game ever created.

9. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    you can tell that missions take way too long when even bullshitting your way through them takes 5 minutes or more.

i played 2 on the psp and while i generally liked the game, when missions ended up taking like 30 minutes and more, and generally requiring an impossible to win testrun just to learn what kind of reinforcement/special power/trick room the game would throw at you this time, i finally gave up. not unlike fire emblem actually. you seemingly make good progress only to be steamrolled by a bunch of reinforcements that just rock paper scissor your team of choice off the field, and inbetween, one enemy stronghold after the other.
    not to mention all the grinding. the endless, endless grinding

10. windhazard

windhazard GBAtemp Fan

Mar 23, 2016
    Germany
    Good story, gameplay is also nice until you realize that scout rush is so unbelievably broken that the game becomes so repetitive at that point.

11. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Don't be dumb. People are asking for ports of good games, which is why there are a ton on every system this year. Sony has ported Shadow of the Colossus like eight times by now.

12. emigre

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    SoTC has only had 1 port (PS2 to PS3). The PS4 version is a remake. The number of Ports on the Switch is pretty insane.

13. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Sorry, they ported a port. And nobody bats an eye.

Not to mention the first Valkyria Chronicles was already ported to PS4 before Switch.

14. emigre

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    Remake doesn't equal a port. I suggest watching digital foundary videos on SoTC, it's genuinely interesting at what Bluepoint did with the game.

The thing is, the Switch is getting a lot of ports. People complained about this with PS4/Xbone proliferation of PS3/360 games and people are complaining about the same thing now. I know I have a preference for new content especially for my Switch which doesn't get as much use as I would like it to.

15. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    Took the words from my mouth. I liked the game but it there are certain mechanics that really needed adjustment. I hope the fourth game won't be like this.

16. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Both Switch and PS4 are getting a lot of the same ports this year. Spyro trilogy, Dark Souls Remastered, Genesis Collection, MMX Legacy, Don't Starve (Megapack), Darkest Dungeon Ancestral Edition.

Then there's a list of ports for PS4 this year:
    Everspace
    Hitman: Definitive Edition
    Conan: Exiles
    Super Bomberman R

And I probably missed a couple.

KingVamp and Chizko like this.
  17. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Neat, I played the second game on PSP, and a tiny bit of the first game. I might get it on Switch over Steam. It's a fun game to play portable. :D

18. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    spyro is a remake, not a port.
    everspace and bomberman r are modern games, so it makes sense to expand the number of platforms.
    conan exiles isn't a port, the game has been in early access for a year and is finally going to be released.
    genesis and mmx legacy collection, emulated games... I don't know what category should those have but I wouldn't call them ports, because if we follow that logic then the pc has "ports" of everything ever created.
    don't starve was also a current game when it was ported and in fact, the ps4 was the very first console to receive it but vita, ps3 and xbox one versions were already planed and released when done.
    darkest dungeon had its release for ps4 planed and released when done, hence not a port.
    the only shameful port for ps4 is dark souls and even the fans are hating it.

19. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Honestly you can make an excuse for anything, and I don't have any problem with ports myself, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in shaming Switch for it when it's commonplace for all modern consoles (and PC).

Last edited by Xzi, Apr 16, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice