thisUsernameIScr

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My stock unmodified DS (original) just suddenly died.
This was an older DS, I believe it has firmware firmware 2 or 3. I was just playing MP:H (from the actual card) and all of a sudden the system speakers gave a loud pop, and the screens faded away (like what would happen if you took the battery out while playing). I had a brand new official rumble pack in slot 2.

While trying to figure out what is wrong with my system, the first thing I did was to discover the symptoms. I removed the card and cartridge from slots one and two. Basically the system was completely non-responsive. The only responses i can get from the system is a "pop" from the speakers when I push the power button. Also plugging in the wall charger turns on the orange charging LED. When finished charging the orange LED turns off. In stock condition, I am unable to get any other responses from the system.

Since the system is long out of warranty, the next thing I did was open the system. I found that both fuses (F1 and F2) appear to be intact (according to my multimeter). Further I noticed that if the top half of the system was unplugged (ribbon cable removed) I could get the system to respond a bit more. In this case, if I push the power button the green LED comes on. It stays on until either I release the button, or ~2 seconds have passed, whichever comes first. If I plug that cable back in, once again the only response to the power button is the speakers popping.

Does anybody have additional insight into what is wrong? I would like to repair my system if it is possible, rather than paying to buy a new system.

The way the system is responding appears to rule out a battery problem, and I have checked the fuses. No components appeared physically damaged, and so I'm a bit confused. What is wrong with the system?

I'm also wandering what caused the problem in the first place. The only thing I can think of is the possibility that the rumble pack was defective and damaged my system, but for the few hours prior to this that i had used it, it seemed to be fine.

Any ideas?

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
hm, interesting... I'd bump for you, and wonder too what might be wrong.

I would contact nintendo... even if the waranty is out... since it wouldn't have any physical damage (like dropped it in the floor, or washed it or so)

good luck though!

thisUsernameIScr

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hm, interesting... I'd bump for you, and wonder too what might be wrong.

I would contact nintendo... even if the waranty is out... since it wouldn't have any physical damage (like dropped it in the floor, or washed it or so)

good luck though!
If i had actual evidence that the damage was caused by the rumble pack, then I would do this arguing consequential damages of the product it was designed to be used with. Nintendo would be likely to agree. But if the damage was not related to the Rumble pack, then there is definately no warranty protection and no known manufacturing defect, I am almost certian to be charged the $75 (or whatever it is) out-of-warranty repair fee. I would rather avoid that, especially if there is a reasonable chance that the problem can be fixed by me.

thisUsernameIScr

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody has any ideas? I would have hoped to have some suggestions by now. If i spend even a few seconds I can come up with one possibility: A torn ribbon cable. (I saw no evidence of this, so i tend to doubt it, but it is possible).

At the very least somebody could confirm what the "normal" behavior on an original DS is when the the cable for the upper screen is removed. If it is the same as I described, then it stands to reason that the problem is with the upper screen circuits, or a part of the main-board that is not used when the upper screen ribbon cable is unplugged.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm