MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, the Episodes are in the remastered 16:9 rather than the 4:3 version, I want to see the original 4:3 versions.
When searching torrent sites for the episodes, put "DVDrip" in the search, and it should give you what you're looking for for.

Reactions: BigOnYa and Exnor

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When searching torrent sites for the episodes, put "DVDrip" in the search, and it should give you what you're looking for for.
In all fairness the remastered versions were also released on dvd so while in general this is usually what you need to do but SP is a special case and tbh it’s going to be tough for some seasons.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
In all fairness the remastered versions were also released on dvd so while in general this is usually what you need to do but SP is a special case and tbh it’s going to be tough for some seasons.
Oof. Well worst-case scenario, he gets the widescreen remasters and manually re-encodes them with a 4:3 crop. It's not the best way, but it is a way.

miniminx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just deleted all these 4:3 episodes up to season 10 a few days ago and redownloaded them in 1080p. They look much better now, why on earth someone would pick 4:3 over a remaster is beyond me.

Reactions: Exnor

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lost content too. The Simpsons infamously had jokes cut out of the frame when they released widescreen cuts, because they were literally cutting off the top and bottom of the original picture.

I wish the industry standard was pillarboxing 4:3 content when rereleased in HD. They don't have to go so far as to include black space in the image, but the encoding should indicate to players to default to pillarboxing. If people want a distorted or cropped image ('to fill the screen'), it should be their purposeful mistake.

Xdqwerty

Wut
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Lost content too. The Simpsons infamously had jokes cut out of the frame when they released widescreen cuts, because they were literally cutting off the top and bottom of the original picture.
The south park widescreen editions didnt crop stuff bc they still had the original assets and thus they just expanded what was on screen

Reactions: Exnor

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just deleted all these 4:3 episodes up to season 10 a few days ago and redownloaded them in 1080p. They look much better now, why on earth someone would pick 4:3 over a remaster is beyond me.
Personally, I hate the rerenders.

Nostalgia aside, I’m a purist when it comes to media and would rather watch a show or film the way it was originally presented when possible. Meaning, the correct aspect ratio, mono/stereo tracks vs revisionist atmos or surround sound, original music (for example, Daria or Clone High removed music due to licenses), DNR‘d film, etc etc. Any changes, to me, partially ruin a piece of media, as I believe they should be a product of its time, a time capsule if you will that show what was going on in a time - regardless of a creators/directors intent. I refuse to make an exception for George Lucas with his ‘special editions’ and refuse to make an exception for anything else.

I don’t mind a remaster existing, my issue is we do not have a choice in any official capacity. If I were to stream it, I can’t stream the original renders. If I were to buy it physically, it’s not like the Blu-ray’s have the ability to switch between the versions like Star Trek TOS, so if I were to buy it, I’d have to buy the old DVDs. Obtaining it as someone who has resources and site as I do is not hard, but not everyone does, and people who only stream won’t either. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Plus, nostalgia talking now, I don’t like how the show when it transitioned to HD started to look, and I think the old style looks better, particularly the first two seasons.

I wish the industry standard was pillarboxing 4:3 content when rereleased in HD. They don't have to go so far as to include black space in the image, but the encoding should indicate to players to default to pillarboxing. If people want a distorted or cropped image ('to fill the screen'), it should be their purposeful mistake.
They definitely fucked up the fake cropping on The Simpsons, but thankfully you have the choice now if you stream older seasons. But I just still watch my dvds so it never mattered for me anyways.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Warm balls in the winter +2