Origin Introduces "On The House" - Get Games For Free

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
So... lets pick a hypothetical random guy that created a oring account just to buy Sim City. He got Sim City, and few weeks later he got a free game as excuse for EA server shit. About a year later he got the another half of Sim City (the single player mode), so now he has 2 games. With thiss offer now he has Sim City, Mass Effect 3 and Dead Space, and payed for just one game... Well I'm little glad that Origin is doing so bad, thanks to that our hypothetical guy is happy...

As I am the hypothetical guy, I'm reinstaling origin again :P

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
regardless of what anyone says about privacy violations: FREE GAMES?!
I'm not going to install Origin, but if I did, I would:
- install Origin in a sandbox so they cant see the rest of my files
- or install Origin in a virtual machine (not sure how well that would work with games though)
- or install it on a dual-OS computer (multiboot), with partitions isolated from one another
- or install it on a clean computer with nothing else on it (a PC dedicated to gaming)

I'm sure there are ways of not being affected by their bullshit. And still enjoy free games

is sandboxie alright? or there are better ones?

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This seems to me to be EA's way of trying to change the global perspective on their business name. By doing this in a year that they aren't ranked the worst company, it makes it seem more sincere too. Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for this. Cool move.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
One major problem with this is that it just not enough to make people interested with Origin. Few maybe but most just get free game and forget it. I haven't used Origin in a while but what I did notice that there wasn't anything to notice! They haven't done single thing to make program more desirable or any reason to make it boot with computer. It's still just program you have to use to play some EA titles. Meanwhile Valve has introduced trading cards, big picture, inventory so you can manage items outside game...

I forgot I already have dead space from a humble bundle. Now it shows up twice in my game library.
What you can have it twice?!?
HOLY HELL I DID IT TOO :D:D::D
Master coders at EA allright!

Hmm, add the ability to resell the games I have purchased/legitimately obtained and we might be good.

Either way though competition is good, hopefully something will go down in flames and amuse me in the process.
I have started to hate used games little by little when started job and using PC as main gaming device. It's just much nicer to have games much cheaper in first place then keep it as selling them is so much pain and hassle and you may get maybe third of money back and if you ever want to get back to that game you have to re-purchare it. That doesn't even include the fact that makers of the game doesn't get any money when trading second hand copies :(
Only major problem has been sharing PC titles with family members as where something like PS3 lets you play every game installed Steam has to be logged in as user who owns the game but they now introduced Family Sharing so even that's not problem anymore - and you can actually share games to friends as well which is great.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have started to hate used games little by little when started job and using PC as main gaming device. It's just much nicer to have games much cheaper in first place then keep it as selling them is so much pain and hassle and you may get maybe third of money back and if you ever want to get back to that game you have to re-purchare it. That doesn't even include the fact that makers of the game doesn't get any money when trading second hand copies :(
Only major problem has been sharing PC titles with family members as where something like PS3 lets you play every game installed Steam has to be logged in as user who owns the game but they now introduced Family Sharing so even that's not problem anymore - and you can actually share games to friends as well which is great.

Oh it usually represents a bad deal to trade in games, however it is an option I wish to have.

On the bold part what have they done to deserve any?

As for sharing, no argument it is a positive move. However it seems like an artificial restriction.

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No issues with this, hate Origin or not, free games are good. And Dead Space is a fantastic game. Already have it from the Origin Humble Bundle a while ago though. Going to be keeping an eye out for future games. Although I bet Dead Space won't be the last Humble Bundle duplicate title.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
No issues with this, hate Origin or not, free games are good. And Dead Space is a fantastic game. Already have it from the Origin Humble Bundle a while ago though. Going to be keeping an eye out for future games. Although I bet Dead Space won't be the last Humble Bundle duplicate title.

Only problem is that first dead space is awful, really awful, port on PC. After messing with configs got it running playably with my 144Hz monitor but still clunky mouse and some physics problems. Of course also achievements from consoles are missing like the Z-ball. Well at least you get in-game goods with that but still.

Oh it usually represents a bad deal to trade in games, however it is an option I wish to have.

On the bold part what have they done to deserve any?

As for sharing, no argument it is a positive move. However it seems like an artificial restriction.

I can see what you are aiming at and I have to agree that more options you have is usually better.

For the bold part I would say I would like to support game devs that actually deliver awesome single player experiences. With this day however customers almost demand preorder exclusive things, DLC, multiplayer components, patches and so on and all of those cost money. If some dev makes pure single player game they would be screwed by used games and piracy. Even Tomb Raider and Batman had multiplayer tagged on them and Bioshock had forced season pass so they were required to make DLC for it. Damn even Super Mario had DLC!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It can get odd discussing quirks of law (in some places resale of software licenses gets tricky) but by and large second hand games existed before, existed as people were developing the game and similar things exist for other areas of IP (second hand VCRs, DVDs, art, books... all quite common). If you know your constraints and conditions then complaining about them seems kind of off base. If you personal morality would have you avoid such situations then I can see nothing wrong with that, likewise if devs want to try to encourage people to do things like buy season passes I am also OK with them trying. Also grouping piracy and second hand like that might not be the best.

DLC for Mario does not seem so out of order either -- by and large it is a mostly story absent game where you do not necessarily have improved abilities, all broken up into distinct stages. Indeed I might even argue if it feels odd it is only because Nintendo was glacially slow to adopt modern game building methods.

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, what ? What's this thing about Origin and privacy violations ?
There's no privacy violation. It's a rumor from anti-EA circlejerks who gave consent for Origin to grab information (just as Valve does) and spew lies all over the internet.

EA should try publishing good new games instead of offering old good games for free.
They can do both.
Making a game free for a limited time requires little to no effort as opposed to publishing a game.

fuck origin. go and die already EA!
Origin is a nice client.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...