Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ea-origin-logo-530.jpg

EA's digital distribution service hits the 1 year anniversary.​

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/15/ea-first-year-with-origin-a-huge-success-service-to-become/

In it's 1st year of service, EA's Origin digital distribution and software integration program has seen 12 million downloads and partnerships with 50 different publishing partners. EA's senior VP of Global e-commerce David DeMartini says that Origin has been a "huge success" despite a difficult start with EULA problems and players getting banned for previously purchased offline games.

EA plans to add more "sticky features" to Origin that will give players a sense that Origin is more of a service then a program that is required to run a game.

My opinion:

DeMartini must be fooling himself if he thinks customers are satisfied and actually like Origin. With memory leaks, constant bugs and resource hogging, Origin is one of the least user friendly programs out there, and it's a forced service that people only use in a disgruntled manner becase we are forced to use it if we want to play Mass Effect 3, Need for Speed or Battlefield 3. One can make the argument that Valve did the same thing with Half Life 2 and Team Fortress 2, however Steam offers a program that runs smoothly and uses minimal resources and they offer game sales, something EA believes devalues the game product so they will never have them.

So it's blatantly obvious that EA is in it for the money, not for the customer satisfaction. People don't use it willingly and I know many people will remove Origin when they are done playing games like ME3 and BF3

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With memory leaks, constant bugs and resource hogging, Origin is one of the least user friendly programs out there, and it's a forced service that people only use in a disgruntled manner becase we are forced to use it if we want to play Mass Effect 3, Need for Speed or Battlefield 3.

In my honest opinion, I agree with you on the fact that people are using it because they feel forced, but I disagree with the "memory leaks, bugs, hogging" aspect -- Steam in that respect is a steaming pile of horseshit and has been ever since it's been released. Back then, we thought "oh well, our computers just aren't handling the awesome." No. Now they clearly can. It's just like iTunes -- runs like garbage.

The reason we aren't switching is because we have 100+ games on STEAM, not on Origin. The deals are also better. The business aspect of STEAM is definitely the best -- but technically, I think they should rebuild their program.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With memory leaks, constant bugs and resource hogging, Origin is one of the least user friendly programs out there, and it's a forced service that people only use in a disgruntled manner becase we are forced to use it if we want to play Mass Effect 3, Need for Speed or Battlefield 3.

In my honest opinion, I agree with you on the fact that people are using it because they feel forced, but I disagree with the "memory leaks, bugs, hogging" aspect -- Steam in that respect is a steaming pile of horseshit and has been ever since it's been released. Back then, we thought "oh well, our computers just aren't handling the awesome." No. Now they clearly can. It's just like iTunes -- runs like garbage.

The reason we aren't switching is because we have 100+ games on STEAM, not on Origin. The deals are also better. The business aspect of STEAM is definitely the best -- but technically, I think they should rebuild their program.

I have been using Steam for about 2 years now, and never once had a problem with it. Much like your comparison to iTunes, neither has been a problem for me over the years, and I have had an iTunes account for nearly 5 years. I don't think anything needs to be changed about Steam, it runs flawlessly for me and there isn't anything about it that I would ask them to change aside from a couple of UI tweaks like some proper scroll bars and better filtering of games.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How is a service everyone hates and dreads using, but has to now for certain games, a success?

I've NEVER seen a person like Origin. Ever. I've seen people neutral about it, but never anyone liking it. I see complaints about bugginess, lack of games, shitty prices, etc. Everyone wants it dead and the games released back with Steam. Anyone who would use Origin, almost guaranteed also has Steam, and they only got Origin for a game or two that EA stupidly pulled off of Steam.
I bet their sales would be a hell of a lot better if they had kept their games on Steam and stopped wasting their god damn time with Origin.

Reactions: 3 people

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

Steam runs fine for me.

Reactions: 2 people

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
The very first program i always turn off when i start gaming is origin. Seriously its rather insane how much memory it needs.

EDIT
@Blebleman: No seriously steam just run completely fine. It might use a huge amount of memory itself (Not that far from origin actually), but its less buggy compared to origin. Origin is just utter crap filled with bugs. And why havent they removed Battlefield 3 Beta yet lol.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country

RAM
tTxgD.png

CPU (last column = percentage of Intel Q6000 @ 2.4GHz)
vgYrO.png

Owww... that's a REAL strain on my resources. /sarcasm

Reactions: 2 people

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

RAM
tTxgD.png

CPU (last column = percentage of Intel Q6000 @ 2.4GHz)
vgYrO.png

Owww... that's a REAL strain on my resources. /sarcasm
lol on my proccess tab it says 78,890k :glare:
Holy crap -- what's wrong with my Steam? lol
it constantly takes a minimum of 175MB of ram....
Same for iTunes...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap -- what's wrong with my Steam? lol
it constantly takes a minimum of 175MB of ram....
Same for iTunes...
Yeah that's weird, the most I see is ~50MB of RAM, and that's when it's open and I'm playing a game through it. Try an uninstall and reinstall?

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just reinstalled Steam, thinking it would at least ask me if I wanted to keep my game files -- Here I am, 125GB richer. Steam is now down to a comfortable 45MB of RAM usage though :)

Oh well, didn't need all those games installed anyways! :P

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just reinstalled Steam, thinking it would at least ask me if I wanted to keep my game files -- Here I am, 125GB richer. Steam is now down to a comfortable 45MB of RAM usage though :)

or you could have just saved the steamapps folder lol

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

or you could have just saved the steamapps folder lol
Yeah, well, I know that! I just expected it to be like every other program ever and have a checkbox for that! :)

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yeah that's weird, the most I see is ~50MB of RAM, and that's when it's open and I'm playing a game through it. Try an uninstall and reinstall?
How much RAM Steam uses varies a lot depending on how many games you own and how many of them you have installed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh
    ♫ Mama hully gully, Papa hully gully, Baby hully gully too:rofl2:
    Oh god, I really am old. lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @SylverReZ, sup Sylv!
    +1
    Anyway, I gotta go to the store. L8er guys. Oops, I better put some clothes on :shy::tpi::rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, Hey there Sickly.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Make sure the cops don't see that.
    hazbeans @ hazbeans: hi