Hacking Ordered an R4DS NOT KNOWING it's discontinued

AC/DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
/rant snipped
OK, never mind that, I found out the MicroSD card is perfectly OK, it's the dodgy USB reader (from ConsoleUP) that is faulty. Now I have to buy an additional USB reader to be able to access the MicroSD card from my computer. Thank you ConsoleUP.
Oh and I pray to God that the R4 itself works - I don't have a DS to test it on yet.

AC/DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
lolzed said:
is it the card reader or the usb?if it's the card reader slide the white thingy and it should work,if not try another sdcard
I don't know what causes the problem (I suspect the USB card reader might be faulty), but THERE IS NO white thingy on the card reader and I don't have another MicroSD card. Thanks anyway.
I edited my previous post, it is now obvious the USB reader is at fault. Thanks for your attention.

kingkong

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
lolzed said:
is it the card reader or the usb?if it's the card reader slide the white thingy and it should work,if not try another sdcard

i think you need a mini sd adapter, there u can make the card writable/readable with

fma

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been reading a lot on this forum about telling people to avoid R4 DS, and how it's outdated -- but for me has been perfect. Then again I'm a new to the homebrew scene so perhaps I just haven't encountered any issues. For $22 I don't think you can go wrong.

I do believe I ordered a real one, and have no indication that is fake from external comparisons of pictures (did not open shell).

I have no problems with all the backups I've tried.

MyauChanDesu

Kamineko is GOD.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xen0s said:
Hmm can someone tell me the games that dont work with r4 ( the original version ) . I have tried new games like Chrono Trigger , Valkyrie Profile , Metal slug 7 , Luminous arc 2 and the y all work perfect . Im yet to find a game that does not work

monster lab and age of empires myth are recent games that do not work with the R4, you have to do the ARM7 fix first before playing so.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
fma said:
I've been reading a lot on this forum about telling people to avoid R4 DS, and how it's outdated -- but for me has been perfect. Then again I'm a new to the homebrew scene so perhaps I just haven't encountered any issues. For $22 I don't think you can go wrong.

I do believe I ordered a real one, and have no indication that is fake from external comparisons of pictures (did not open shell).

I have no problems with all the backups I've tried.

Why pay 22 bucks for something that's not gonna get any more updates, when you can get a better cart that does more at 10 bucks? That's my question. Besides. I don't think Chrono Trigger works without using the cheats on the R4.

mute

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xen0s said:
Hmm can someone tell me the games that dont work with r4 ( the original version ) . I have tried new games like Chrono Trigger , Valkyrie Profile , Metal slug 7 , Luminous arc 2 and the y all work perfect . Im yet to find a game that does not work

Exactly.

QUOTE(AndreXL @ Nov 20 2008, 12:22 PM) The new Star Wars game does not work/no fix.

The Force Unleashed? Yes it does.. no problems at all. I played it through/beat it in one night, never had a single issue. You must be on some crack.

I'm a bit tired of seeing comments from ppl talking with authority when it's obvious most of them don't know what they are talking about. Unlike most of these people, I own a bunch of these cards and have given several to friends/family as well as many other add ons. Money isn't an issue for me really, all this stuff is pretty affordable and I enjoy checking them all out.

The R4DS is not a bad card at all and it still deserves respect for the stability and the improvement it brought about to card development and it could brag about compatibilty and homebrew love long before any other card.. many devs are still using the R4 or M3. Also worth noting, very few cards, unforuntately, can claim the reliability / shelf life that the R4 could/can.. many cards (still) suffer from being DOA too often. There is a reason it has a good reputation despite what all the haters around here say (most of them have never owned one..you've got alot of ppl around here that've owned one kart then run round with their mouths like they know everything and act all fanboy for the kart they do own). 99.9% of all homebrew will run on it, unlike many other cards. I have yet to play a commercial rom that doesn't work on it... though I know there are a few that have issues. It'll load/run gba's from the flash, use the ds browser, etc. It pretty much will do everything you need and remain hassle free.

However, my R4DS is almost 2 years old (and still kicking despite heavy abuse/use.. i also got 2 for my brothers around the same time and they are fine as well). The current R4DS's for sale are almost all fakes and are not the same build quality of the originals.

That said, if I were buying a card right now, I see one choice really and that's the CycloDS.

I would feel much safer ordering a real R4 or M3 than a itouch or acekard, which are both notorius for the DOA issues. Fewer features or not, I'd be mighty pissed if I got one that didnt work out of the box.

My current cards:
R4DS
CycloDS
Acekard2
Edge

The card thats laying somewhere around the apartment in a pile of crap that I don't care to even look for: Acekard2. I was always careful with it before I got the CycloDS because it felt like at any minute it could fall apart like a crumbling cracker.

Acekard2 review:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=946...p;#entry1265096

So yeah, don't sweat buying the R4DS, it's a solid, quality, card (if its the real one).. though outdated and not receiving updates. It's the Original Gangsta and it'll always have a sweet spot for many DS users, even long after it's gone and replaced. The real issue now and coming up in the future is DSi support... if you care about such things.

updowners

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mute said:
AndreXL said:
The new Star Wars game does not work/no fix.

The Force Unleashed? Yes it does.. no problems at all. I played it through/beat it in one night, never had a single issue. You must be on some crack.

I think he means the Clone Wars one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: New Ninja in chat