Hacking ORDERED AN IEDGE CARD..TURNED OUT TO BE FAKE!

dudereno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone who has unfortunately received one of these "fakes", take a photo of the the front/back of the cart. Then I can add it to my guide. I've been getting a steady trickle of emails of peeps trying to update the bootstrap on these devices. I presume the "proper" iEDGE carts, all have the white shell.

donkeyboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just fell for the same trick from www.gamesbackup.co.uk. - part of the same group of companies.
hate2.gif

Fake iedge card...sent a email with no response from them..also raised a paypal dispute. This did the trick they have now sent a returns form and freepost address to return the item.

will send registered mail and await full refund. Will not be using any of their sites in the future.

mad.gif

joe2001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
joe2001 said:
Well, I got an email from r4i.co.uk when I thought there was something wrong with the card they asked me to return the item for an exchange. So I decided to emailed them back and told them of my findings ie "I have a clone & I know its a clone" sort of thing . Another email from them asking me if I wanted a replacement or refund. Iam going for the latter, as I have ordered a ( I hope! ) genuine one from Xpertron - who are on Edge's list of suppliers.

Will keep you informed.

PS This is the first time Ive had problems from these people and I have had quite a few bits & pieces from them.

Ok, quick update - got a genuine iEdge card from www.xpertron.co.uk, plus I found that I did'nt have to mess with bootstrapping the thing,as it had been already done
grog.gif

Got an email from www.r4i.co.uk saying that a refund was in the pipeline - after they tried to offer me a credit note, which is to be expected.

More as I have it.

friarhat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
howdy guys, I recently ordered form r4i.co.uk just before reading about them on here, although it has not arrived yet after having a chat with there online help I have some info to share.

1) They are in denial that they are selling fakes. Would not even admit they have clones. They did however admit that they are a different colour e.g. black instead of white. Also claimed they are from the same factory in China.

2) When questioned which site on the packaging it says I should download the firmware from, they refused to give an honest answer and said only "our site, r4i.co.uk". When I quoted the info from the official iedge site regarding fakes they closed the chat on me.

3) They told me I can return the item, they will test it and unless it is faulty they will send it back, no refund. If it is faulty they will replace it with another one.

All through these conversations they were very rude and unhelpful.

Just to be clear, DO NOT BUY FROM R4i.co.uk !!! They know they have fakes but will not admit and refused to offer me a refund.

I paid through paypal and I will be getting my money back, whether they like it or not. Ill keep you guys updated how things pan out. I did log on again via a vpn and was told that if an order does not arrive within 15 days they will give a refund, Im an honest guy but after being spoken to like that, I will be hoping mine does not arrive

EDIT - remember r4i have several other websites selling the same stuff zoombits.co.uk etc. Order from gbatemp if you want a genuine version and better prices! I did and has been dispatched in under 12 hrs
biggrin.gif

danno8555

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@friarhat Same here: I hope mine doesn't arrive. 9 days are past, I have to w8 for another 6 non-working day :S. What a shame....

Edit: I asked them if I can have a full refund if the iEDGE ( or EDGEi?) doesn't arrive... well, they answered me and they said that this is impossible. At last I can have a bonus ... and honestly I prefere to order an Acekard 2i because I heard that is the only original thing they sell...

donkeyboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just received this and can't believe it. They are denying a mis sell and denying that the card is a inferior clone. They even want to return it!!!
Cheeky so and so's

Thank you for your email.
Please can you confirm where the ‘REAL’ company as you wish you call it have bought there iEdge cards from? I can confirm that they are purchased from a company in China, this company sells white and black iEdge cards, both cards work the same, if they work any different please can you tell me how they do as I would be very interested? We sell both the white and the black iEdge cards and both were perfectly and both are purchased from the same company in China, the same place the ‘REAL’ iEdge company buy them from. I can assure you this card is not fake, if this card was fake, then FAKE CARD would appear when you inserted the iEdge card into the DSi. If your card is not working then we can help you to get this working as the card is not faulty. If you think this card is faulty, please send this back to us via the returns form below we can test it once we have received it back, if the card is faulty then we can refund for this ( but cannot refund with a PayPal dispute open)if the item is found to work perfectly then it will be sent back to you with the software on for you. (Paypal disputes must also be closed for this also to happen) Please also be advised that 99% of all cards returned to us as faulty, are found to be in perfect working order when tested.

Kind Regards

The r4i.co.uk Customer Service Team

I have now forwarded the complaint to paypal and trading standards in Jersey.

Trading Standards Service
Phone number +44 (0) 1534 448160
Fax +44 (0) 1534 448175
Email address:[email protected]

Trading Standards Service
9 -13 Central Market
St Helier
Jersey
JE2 4WL

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd tell her you've posted her email on GBAtemp.net, the largest communtiny of DS users. Then i'd tell her many of their customers come from this website and if they don't refund you you'll make sure every single person on here knows they are knowingly sellings fakes. Then explain this will result in many fewer people buying from them.

Also tell her you know her company goes by many different names, and you will tell people to avoid them too.

friarhat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thats the attitude I got from them when I spoke to their online "help". Disgraceful.

I tried explaining that it uses different firmware to the genuine cards, and on the official Uk iedge site it says that cards that use the other firmware are fake. At that point they closed the chat window.

Not sure how to play it, if the card arrives but is fake I may report to trading standards and/or a paypal dispute. The stuff about needing to close paypal disputes before a refund is pure scam, once closed they can never be reopened. They wll soon find themselves struggling if this is how they treat their customers.

joe2001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
friarhat said:
Thats the attitude I got from them when I spoke to their online "help". Disgraceful.

I tried explaining that it uses different firmware to the genuine cards, and on the official Uk iedge site it says that cards that use the other firmware are fake. At that point they closed the chat window.

Not sure how to play it, if the card arrives but is fake I may report to trading standards and/or a paypal dispute. The stuff about needing to close paypal disputes before a refund is pure scam, once closed they can never be reopened. They wll soon find themselves struggling if this is how they treat their customers.

I never use online chat stuff - a polite e-mail seems to have worked for me... Just waiting on that refund from them, which they have told me is going through, they just don't say when.

But this is how you can tell a real one from a fake - this is a recap of sorts...

1) The fake has the wrong website details which are http://www.edgei-ds.cn

2) Most of the genuine iEdge cards have white casings

3) The fake has no LED indicator

4) The fake has a spring loaded slot for micro sds - genuine cards don't

friarhat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I never use online chat stuff - a polite e-mail seems to have worked for me... Just waiting on that refund from them, which they have told me is going through, they just don't say when.

What did you say to them? I was polite throughout and got nowhere.

Also let us know if/when the refund goes through, I would much rather deal wiith it directly instead of via paypal.

joe2001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I explained that the card did'nt work with some games (true) & the fact that the card did'nt have an LED indicator, also the casing was wrong, etc.

Someone there must know there's something not right about those cards.

No sign of that refund, can't do much at the moment coz I'm at work
frown.gif

friarhat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have an interest in consumer law, but also a close friend who is a trainee Solicitor advised me of the following information.

I contacted r4i via email and I now have a promise in writing from r4i for a refund. If your item does arrive do not open it, definately do not use it. They seemed much friendlier via email so I am guessing the online "help" is operated by a third-party.

As you have purchased your item over the internet the statutory laws of distance selling apply. r4i and the related sites operate out of Jersey and are therefore governed by Distance Selling (Jersey) Law 2007. This is LAW and overules their terms and conditions and returns policy where applicable.

The upshot is you have a 7 day cooling off period starting from the day after you receive the item, in which to notify the supplier of your wish to cancel, then just return the item in the same condition you received it and you will then be entitled to a full refund.

The exact information I quoted them

9 Cancellation period: goods

(1) For the purposes of Article 8, the cancellation period in the case of a distance contract for the supply of goods shall begin with the day on which the contract is concluded and shall end as provided in paragraph (2), (3), (4) or (5).

(2) If the supplier has complied with Article 6 in respect of a distance contract for the supply of goods, the cancellation period shall end on the expiry of the period of 7 working days beginning with the day after the day on which the consumer receives the goods.

12 Repayment on cancellation, and return of security

(1) On the cancellation of a distance contract in accordance with this Law, the supplier shall reimburse (to the person by whom it was paid) any sum paid to the supplier by or on behalf of the consumer under or in relation to the contract, less any charge made in accordance with paragraph (5), but otherwise free of any charge.

R4i have no choice but to comply with these rules, if they do not comply they can receive a large fine from trading standards and even be closed down.

Do not open your item, definately do not use your item. It does not matter whether the item you received is "fake" or not. Contact them telling them you are giving notice you wish to cancel your contract. Let them know you are familiar with your consumer rights. Make copies of all correspndants you send and receive. I would advise sending it back to them via recorded delivery (which I beleive you cannot claim back unless the item is faulty).

As I said in my first post above, I will be getting my money back whether they like it or not. And I am well within my rights to do so. I hope this helps.

donkeyboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I replied to the last email they send giving a full explanation of each point they raised...this is their response despite explaining the packaging, the bogus web site on that packaging and the missing led/non compatability with iedge genuine software.

Thank you for your email.

We purchase the cards from the same place as the REAL website does, so can you explain this? That would make there cards fake too.

I do not wish to argue with you, if you think its fake send it back, I do not have time to argue.

Kind Regards

The r4i.co.uk Customer Service Team

Customer service ?!?!?! This has got to be the worst ever.

dudereno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
friarhat said:
legal text

I may be out of the loop here, or perhaps have a different stance on these matters.. but indulge me for a moment.

Take a step back and think about what you have purchased.. a "grey market" device which allows homebrew and retail game code to be played on a DS. Now you are complaining to trading standards regarding this matter..the same trading standards that regularly combine with ELSPA, in order to convict people involved in software piracy.

I understand you want to protect your consumer rights but doesn't this kind of device negate these very rights, due to its "dodgy" nature. By pursuing this legal avenue, you could be opening a whole can of worms for yourself. Remember these people have your address... think about it..

The chaps that run the web store in question are probably dropshippers and don't give a tinkers cuss which team produced the cart, they might as well be tins of beans. The flash cart "scene" by its very nature, steals tech/reverse engineers many different designs.

Nobody likes to get ripped off and I'm not defending them in any way. I just think you should take a moment to reflect.

I'd put the whole episode down to experience and hope that your next online purchase is more satisfactory.

friarhat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There is nothing illegal about flash cards, I am not breaking any laws by buying one or returning one. The reasons you mention would be more of an incentive for the supplier not to want trading standards involved, rather than a reason I should not exercise my consumer rights.

edit- reading my message again it sounds a bit blunt. I do appreciate your advice, and I understand what you are getting at. But still they should be more worried about trading standards than I am
smile.gif

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah as i already said on page one they have a big network of R4 spelling websites and some other too like Zoombits for many different countrys.
They claim to sel genuine cards only but they sell only fakes ( r4 and iedge ) in big style and way overpriced.
I would not wonder if the m3i Zero they sell is fake too.
They lie and they rude best would be gather all there sites and report em to nintendo so they will get sued like other shops in germany.

By the way there is no information on the site where this company is and who the owner is.
Alone for this you should not buy there.

Found the company that is owner of the website.

CoreBits Services Limited (Company No 99105)
Unit 7
St Peters Technical Park
Jersey
JE3 7ZN
Channel Islands

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well i never did buy anything from them, its just they kinda scam ppl and telling em fairy tales.
True ppl that experienced wont buy but newbies fall for them.
I guess if u give this information to nintendo they get a lot of trouble becase they run so many websites...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo