Order now, or wait?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Mike83, May 11, 2007.

May 11, 2007

Order now, or wait? by Mike83 at 7:29 PM (1,576 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Mike83
    OP

Member Mike83 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hello.

I am thinking of modding my Wii, but was wondering if you would advice waiting a little while (if there some new chip everyones expecting soon) or if I should just order myself a Wiikey?

Cheers.

2. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    wait for the wiikey update and the feedback on it before buying the wiikey. The cyclowiz is the best chip out currently but it's bad design as you need a switch to install if you want to do their update.

there's also opensource options on building your own chip, but if you don't want to go down that route I would say pick up a wiikey over a cyclowiz, if the update for the wiikey does what it's meant to and fix the gamecube audiofix problem and increases game compatibility, then it's easily the best ready made current generation chip available.

3. Mike83
    OP

Member Mike83 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Nice one, is there a date set on the update? Or just once its ready?

4. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    expected to be released around the 15th of may. When they say around it could be give or take a few days before or after that date. No doubt the naysayers will pop up on the 15th and a slew of posts will appear saying "where's the update?" or something to that effect

5. link459

Member link459 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Just get one now, why wait? It's only $40 and you could always just get rid of it if a true modchip ever comes out...

6. dsbomb

Member dsbomb GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The current Wiikey plays almost all Wii games, hundreds of Gamecube games. It's not like it's total crap today and Monday will be insanely powerful. Just be sure to order from official resellers, not the $10 clones, if you want to be guaranteed access to the update.

And China's on the other side of the International Date Line, right? So, should it then be out Sunday for us North Americanites?

7. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Waiting is the best idea. Wait to see if the new update bricks the wiikey clones. If not, you've saved yourself $20. You will also know what new features the wiikey has to offer.

8. Warm Woolly Shee

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Unless you want to play a couple obscure japanese Gamecube games (naruto and one other I can't remember), any drivechip will work.

Aside from that, there is practically no difference between any of the drivechips, clones or not. "updates" do not matter - there's nothing left to update. Why do people install the update portion for Cyclowiz or Wiifree?

Are you expecting homebrew support someday?
    100% region free?
    Bios flashing?

You'll never see any of those, drivechips have reached their zenith. They play stolen Wii games. That's all they will ever do.

GET THE CHEAPEST ONE, AND GET IT NOW.

If you want to wait for anything, wait for a true modchip.

9. crumpster

Newcomer crumpster Advanced Member

The reason people updated the cyclowiz to 3.0 is because some games were not working like cod3 and spongebob. Also some games had stuttering problems. The update increased the drive speed to match originals. The cyclowiz is the only chip that has 100% wii and gc compatibility at the moment.

10. kristijan08

Member kristijan08 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    get it now and install with wires so you can take it out in the future

11. Warm Woolly Shee

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I realize the old ones had problems, but all new Cyclowiz come with 3.0 on the chip. If you buy a Cyclowiz 3.0, WHY DO YOU INSTALL THE UPGRADE OPTION? There is no use for it - that chip is done.

Even team Wiifree has admitted they're done - the drivechip is as perfect as it gets.

Again, go with the cheapest one you can find, they are all virtually the same.

12. dsbomb

Member dsbomb GBAtemp Fan

United States
    With Wiikey's announcement of DVD9 support coming, do those other chips already have it (if they are considered "done")?

13. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    no they don't have this feature, but i don't see many people wasting expensive dual layer discs what can be achieved with single layer discs at a much cheaper cost, it's a nice feature leaving the option open for people who want to use it, but i think most will stick to using sl discs instead. the update is also supposed to improve the compatibility with about three or four games like trauma centre and super swing golf and another one I forget, might be bleach I think. The other chips also have the problem of not playing those games either