Oracle of Ages for Game Boy Advance?

Discussion in 'GBA - Emulation' started by zfreeman, Sep 24, 2015.

1. zfreeman
    OP

zfreeman GBAtemp Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania

2. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    If you look at the description, you'll see it's custom made.

3. zfreeman
    OP

zfreeman GBAtemp Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    I understand that. What I don't understand is how a GBC game works as a GBA game. And why does it say "Fan Translation"?

4. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    It's probably a cartridge with Goomba Color and the rom of the game. No idea about the translation.

5. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    From the screenshots it looks like it's a homebrew port.

6. rad3ds

rad3ds GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2015
    United States
    Given that the seller is selling it as "new, unused" they probably are the ones who made it. Have you tried just asking them what rom is actually on it? Most sellers are agreeable about answering that kind of question, would be kinda weird if they wanted to keep it a secret, right?

7. Tex_McBladeSword

Tex_McBladeSword Im Insane! From Earth!

May 16, 2015
    United States
    Wherever I am Needed
    Ive seen this around too, although I have yet to see Seasons. From what Ive seen it's the GBC version, although listings keep talking about "Enhanced GBA Features" that I cant seem to find any more info about

8. Snugglevixen

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    I never played the original but it looks kinda stretched in those screenshots but not as much as when playing a GBC game on a GBA and Link doesn't seem stretched at all

9. zfreeman
    OP

zfreeman GBAtemp Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    Seller response: "This version is a patched ROM that basically fools the hardware to think it's a GBA game without an emulator so you can get the few bonus features that were available when played on GBA. Because of the patch I'm actually not sure if it will work in a GBC now. I'm sure that wasn't very helpful, but its all my game guy could tell me. Thanks!"

10. Muffins

Muffins Banned

Jun 17, 2008
    United States
    Mirrors
    Bloody hell, he's taking ROMs, repackaging them and selling them. For cash.

He's got my Metroid II DX hack selling on there for forty bloody dollars!

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    That is a lie, or very misinformed (and with repro makers it can go either way). The way a GBC game told if it was on a GBA was nothing like the leap from GB to GBC and was trivially faked by anything that wanted to.

12. Snugglevixen

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    You can report them to ebay. Or send the URL to Nintendo so they can sort it out.

TBH, that's a good deal if you want a ROMhack on a replica cart and don't know how to do your own replica cart.
    Though it is illegal unless they're including an official cart of the original game (actually, that doesn't change the fact they're selling a bootleg and is still probably illegal, if you're looking for a loophole your best bet is to bundle the original with the hack and list it as the original plus bonus content)

Last edited by Snugglevixen, Sep 25, 2015
  13. Muffins

Muffins Banned

Jun 17, 2008
    United States
    Mirrors
    It's just... it feels so odd to me. I made the hack because I loved Metroid II and felt like fans should have the GBC remake they deserved. I never thought anyone would try to resell it for a profit.

I don't really know what to think about that.

14. Snugglevixen

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    If it sells be flattered that someone wants to pay money to play your hack.

I actually bought a flash cart for around that price just for a specific hack, due to an MBC issue with the cart it's having saving problems so I'm gonna drop even more money on getting a pocket monsters gold cart modified with a flash chip

Muffins likes this.
  15. mrgone

mrgone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    Gambia, The
    it looks and sounds like a repro gba cart with a goomba-d & always on gba-mode-palette patched gbc rom.
    this is nothing different than ppl selling a nicely labelled repro snes cart with a english final fantasy 5 or seiken densetsu 3.

16. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Addict

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    wow there are homebrew emulators of gbc to gba :v (ok I know GBmicro doen't play gb, not even DS so it's nice xD)
    about translation I have no idea :V the only thing I know is that plaing OAOS on GBA open the dor of an shop only accessible in gba (maybe by cheat too ... lol)

17. Pandaxclone2

Pandaxclone2 Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist

Aug 17, 2015
    noun; a particular place or position.
    Necropostin'.

I don't see the sense in making a GBA cart hack of a GBC game that fools it in thinking it's on a GBA system for the GBA-only content. It defeats the whole purpose of it because you can only play it on a GBA system, rendering said modification redundantly useless. It'd make more sense if it was a GBC cart hack.

You'd only really need this if you didn't already have the GBC version which would do the exact same thing if you played it on a GBA.

18. Lakum

Lakum GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2014
    Malaysia
    Last edited by Lakum, Nov 30, 2015
  19. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Addict

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    It remember me about an gba version (nor remastered) for pokemon cristal , but I think it was a miss translation of the japanese special gba for suicune XD

20. Psyture

Psyture Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2015
    United States