Options to dump n3ds nand.fat16.xorpad without Ninjhax?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Aeodan, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Aeodan
    OP

Aeodan Member

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2013
    United States
    Hello all so I've come across a problem when trying to region change my Japanese New3ds.
    The problem is that I don't have ninjhax to run decrypt.3dx to dump my nand's nand.fat16.xorpad so I can decrypt my nand.
    I've read that the Ninjhax exploit doesn't work with the new gateway launchers so I can't use a rom.

So what other options do I have in decrypting and dumping that xorpad? I've been searching and trying everything for days now. I have no problems dumping my o3ds's xorpads and all but I've read that this is console specific so doesn't help my n3ds.

ubergeek77 and Margen67 like this.
  2. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    Whats going on with that font?

Can I assume you have oot then for your 3ds and are running gateway?

3. Aeodan
    OP

Aeodan Member

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2013
    United States
    Yep I have oot and running gateway 3.1

Margen67 likes this.
  4. Ronhero

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay

I thought there was but alas I was wrong and cubic ninja is the only current way

5. ubergeek77

ubergeek77 Post editing world champ.

Dec 6, 2014
    United States
    I'm in the same boat. I have Cubic Ninja, but due to the region lock, I can't use it on my New 3DS. I can set up Ninjhax just fine on emuNAND using a ROM, but Decrypt9 won't do anything.

I find it hard to believe that the community can't yet compile something that will run via OoT (which luckily I have). It would just take someone knowledgeable to create a xorpad-dumping Launcher.dat that runs from OoT, or give us a technical reason why that isn't possible.

Margen67 likes this.
  6. Shadowtrance

Shadowtrance GBAtemp Addict

May 9, 2014
    Hervey Bay, Queensland
    Decrypt9 was/is a launcher.dat before it worked on ninjhax, hence the name Decrypt9 it was made to work on *shock horror* firmware 9.x! But (sadly) not much use that way on n3ds as the launcher.dat version only runs via spider which obviously the n3ds doesn't have. (damn u nintendo!) :(

I agree though, being able to run more stuff via OoT would be cool...

Margen67 likes this.
  7. Ronhero

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay

I'm sure someone will eventually find an alternative launcher.dat to work with oot and run other exploits. I personally see it more likely someone will make a Decrypt9 cia or 3ds

Margen67 likes this.
  8. ubergeek77

Dec 6, 2014
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall seeing a way to downgrade the New 3DS System Settings down to a version that can use the profile exploit. FBI? rxTools? I don't remember the thread, but that's the only (incredibly risky) option those of us without CN have left.

To be honest, I probably won't do it :(
    I won't be able to change my emuNAND region to USA until some kind soul ports it to OoT, or until we somehow fix its incompatibility with Gateway mode.

Either way, one thing is for sure: I'll be able to change my N3DS' region Soon

Margen67 likes this.
  9. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    i had the 'problem' too. you can either wait for someone to maybe, one day, develop something further. - which is not so likely, because there already is a method (just use CN/sky3ds+cn) so it is not worth most devs time i guess.
    just move on and buy cubic ninja/sky3ds.

Margen67 and Zidapi like this.
  10. Oishikatta

Oishikatta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 30, 2014
    United States
    That's not possible with gateway because decrypt9 needs arm9 acccess, and there's no other public way to run unsigned .cia on 9.x yet.

Margen67 and Ronhero like this.
  11. ubergeek77

Dec 6, 2014
    United States
    What exactly is it about decrypt9 that prevents it from working in emuNAND? I know Gateway basically destroys the system and then rebuilds it to a working state, albiet without GBA ambassador games or DS support. But does it break ARM9 as well? I would have thought 3DS games needed that.

Margen67 likes this.
  12. Oishikatta

Oishikatta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 30, 2014
    United States
    The way gateway (supposedly) does things is to bundle a pre-patched FIRM. In their launchers past 2.7, the bundled firm is based on 9.5. The arm9 exploit can't be run without arm11 kernel and the arm11 kernel exploit was patched in 9.3.

So if you had a non-gateway cfw that allowed unsigned stuff on 9.0~9.2 a .cia build could work... but that's not the type of thing anyone's about to publicly release.

Margen67 likes this.
  13. Ronhero

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay

It was KARL 3ds team that was able to do that but I am unsure how

Margen67 likes this.
  14. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    It's my understanding that Gateway simply doesn't afford us enough ARM9 permissions to use that sort of thing.

They only provide us with enough permissions to achieve things like running unsigned code.

Gateway Mode is still very much a walled garden, we can only do what they allow us to do.

Margen67 likes this.
  15. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    does the 3dsx decrypt9 have to be named boot.3dsx, and be booted straight from CN?
    can i not just load it from the ninjhax's homebrew browser just like any other homebrew?

Margen67 likes this.
  16. Ronhero

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay

You can call it whatever you want it as long as the folder has the same name. It launches from the ninjahax browser so I assume if someone where to port ninjahax to a browser it would work

Margen67 and cearp like this.
  17. Shadowtrance

Shadowtrance GBAtemp Addict

May 9, 2014
    Hervey Bay, Queensland
    You can just load it like any other homebrew from the menu if you wish :)

Margen67 and cearp like this.
  18. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    ok great, where i found the prebuilt .3dsx it said to name it boot.3dsx so i assumed it had to replace the homebrew menu, thanks :)

Margen67 likes this.
  19. Ronhero

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    Yea I just used it for the first time today to make a cia of xenoblade chronicles US update. Funkycia works wonderful cearp thanks for it. I am going to try to use it to get a legit copy of OOT and see if I can run an exploited version on my system nand

Margen67 likes this.
  20. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    hey thanks :) glad you did that for the community too.
    sure, since we can only install the personal legit CIAs using pbt cfw (needs 4.5) - you will to manually take your ticket.db form emunand after you bought it, to sysnand.
    it should work fine, no risk since you have a nand mod.

Margen67 likes this.