PS1/2 Options for modding a ps2 slim 9xxx 8c

Pigmata1221

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I picked up a refurbished ps2 for the purpose of softmodding it. I got all the way through the AUF exploit and the FMCB install before realizing, it's date code 8c with a 2.30 bios. So my question at this point is, what are my options for modding it? I have heard about swap magic, but i'm unable to find any guarantee that it will work with my model. (Granted I haven't looked TOO hard...) Just wondering if SM 3.8 is an option, and if there are any other potential options? Any modchips that require soldering are out of the question however. Thanks in advance!

geoGolem

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know if this will work with your model or not, but I used an official ps3 memory card adapter and a tool i downloaded off the net to make a FMCB memory card via Windows on my PC.

In general though I ended up just using pcsx2 emulator on my pc as it supports upscaling and doesn't require me to burn the games to disk....

http://pcsx2.net/

Good luck!

Pigmata1221

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mainly want the ability to play the plethora of ps2 rpgs. Unfortunately the last time I tried to use pcsx2 the compatibility and speed was a little slow, and I couldn't find a good solution for plugging a ps2 controller into my PC. Since then however I have gotten a hardware upgrade that exceeds the recommendations on their site, Do you have any suggestions on a gamepad or a device I can use to plug a ps2 controller into a usb port? Also how does the fps seems with the current release? Is it somewhat comparable to playing off a ps2?

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I maybe missing something, but isn't all you need FMCB? It comes with ESR which allows you to play patched discs. You can even download Open PS2 Loader which allows for network and usb hdd backups.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen the Super Dual Box adapter being recommended a while ago, that should be able to let you use your PS2 controller on your PC. FPS will range differently for different games as well as different parts of the game.

As with the PS2, your best bet is swap magic or a modchip as the talking armadillo has pointed out.
DMS is the only one who makes solderless chips but I'm not sure it works on the 9xxx slims.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I modded a phat PS2 not long ago, using the AUF elxpoit, and I couldn't be happier. Right now I'm burning discs, but plan to get a hdd adapter. You could always get a PS2 phat, they're not that expensive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Crowbar?