Options for Installing CIA's on brand new (ish) 3ds version 3.3 firmware

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by KVPrasad, Jun 10, 2015.

1. KVPrasad
    OP

KVPrasad Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2014
    Fiji
    Lautoka, Fiji
    Just got a hold of a new 3ds, with a 3.3 (?) firmware on it. Wondering what options I had to start installing CIA's on it.

Having a gateway sorta removes the need for CIA's, but looking around the forums, I seem to realise that the only way to get CFW on a 3ds is by using a gateway card or using cubic ninja

Please tell me there is another way and I have simply not read it yet.

Edit: For clarity, I am looking for a way without gateway 3ds, fully understanding that it may be impossible. I am hoping it's just something I have overlooked (or not read yet)

Last edited by KVPrasad, Jun 10, 2015
    SLiV3R likes this.

2. Vahnyyz

Vahnyyz GBAtemp Regular

Aug 2, 2007
    United States
    Branford Fl
  3. KVPrasad
    OP

KVPrasad Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2014
    Fiji
    Lautoka, Fiji
    I actually read that

• A 4.5 or lower 3DS with mset already installed using Gateway's Installer file.

Being the noob I am, I thought this meant that I needed a gateway3ds to install that file?

4. ody81

ody81 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 21, 2012
    I wouldn't say Gateway removes the need for .cias. Most of us probably use cias now to escape possible bans.

There's handy things that come with a GW too like an emuNAND for a start and also not having to firmware spoof.

5. KVPrasad
    OP

KVPrasad Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2014
    Fiji
    Lautoka, Fiji
    Yeah well currently I do not own a Gateway3ds (looking at paying 170$ local currency) so trying to avoid it.

6. AugustoKazt

AugustoKazt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2015
    Venezuela
    You just can update your sysNAND to something between 4.1-4.5 to have the ds exploit (for more info about this you can search here on GBATemp, there are some good tutorials here).
    Then you will are good to go for setup a CFW (the most better FOR NOW is The palantine CFW), for others like pasta you will get more compatibility but you need all the time CN To boot that CFW.
    With the palantine, you doesn't had to have any from the console and the SD a are that came with the console.

7. KVPrasad
    OP

KVPrasad Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2014
    Fiji
    Lautoka, Fiji
    Thanks for the reply

Is there a tutorial I can follow. Currently I am not finding anything that lets me install CFW without a Gateway

8. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Go to http://3ds.essh.co/ and type 4.5 EU in the search bar find one of those games that are super cheap and update from the cart to 4.5 safely

Last edited by Xenon Hacks, Jun 10, 2015
  9. AugustoKazt

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2015
    Venezuela
  10. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    I would avoid these methods as there is a small chance of bricking your 3ds and your new to it. Just update using one of the games in that list and backup your NAND using gateway launcher (gateway card not needed).

11. KVPrasad
    OP

KVPrasad Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2014
    Fiji
    Lautoka, Fiji
    Thanks for the quick replies guys, sincerely. I'll look these up and post back.

12. AugustoKazt

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2015
    Venezuela
    Before i just say this (that she need to update to something 4.1-4.5 to can have the CFW) but she ask for a tutorial then i just reply with that.

13. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
  14. KVPrasad
    OP

KVPrasad Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2014
    Fiji
    Lautoka, Fiji
    I did read that, but like I said, I thought MSET was something you only got from a Gateway Card

15. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    No MSET is simply an entry point used by Gateway and other custom firmwares which is usually called the DS profile exploit.

16. KVPrasad
    OP

KVPrasad Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2014
    Fiji
    Lautoka, Fiji
    @Xenon Hacks do you have some time to chat, I'm afraid I may be over complicating this, which may lead to a paperweight

17. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    I dont think I would be able to help as ive never used that tutorial also its 2:36 am here. For now buy one of the 4.5 games, update to 4.5, and back your nand using gateway's launcher from the brower by visiting https://go.gateway-3ds.com on your 3ds and selecting Backup system Nand.

18. KVPrasad
    OP

KVPrasad Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2014
    Fiji
    Lautoka, Fiji
    Does this also mean that

a.) I can run a CFW without gateway ... Reading that tutorial @AugstoKatz gave me hope.
    b.) Do I need to update to 4.5 or can I go from my 3~ to a CFW

Again I apologise for the noobish questions, I'm not very techie

Edit: @Xenon Hacks thanks... I think I'm starting to see .. Appreciate all the help

19. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Yes you can run CFW from 4.5 (I highly recommend the pasta tutorial I linked) without a gateway card, and yes 4.5 is the minimum for all system exploits.

20. KVPrasad
    OP

KVPrasad Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2014
    Fiji
    Lautoka, Fiji
    Again thanks so much for your time. I understand answering simple questions like this must be annoying, so I really do appreciate it.