Opinions on Macs in General

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Slyakin, Jul 25, 2010.

?

On a Scale from One to Ten

1. One

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Two

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Three

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Four

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Five

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Six

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Seven

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Eight

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Nine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Ten

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Jul 25, 2010

Opinions on Macs in General by Slyakin at 5:18 PM (2,332 Views / 0 Likes) 32 replies

1. Slyakin
    OP

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    How much would YOU rate the Mac (Computer, OS, everything in general about them).

I recommend you OWN a Mac if you want to vote.

2. Danny600kill

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    Meh [​IMG]

To be truthful I put 7, I think they're great but I'm more familiar with Windows setup and so find it better

3. Ritsuki

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    I want to put a 1 because I hate macs. But I'll put a 6 because the lack of programs, because they're expensive and because it's freaking hard to find how to configure it properly.

4. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    I had to use Macs when I was in college and I could never get on with them. Possibly because I'd been using PC's long enough to get used to them, but I could never figure out anything on the Macs. I don't think I have sufficient experience to actually vote, I just wanted something to do while I wait for my dinner.

5. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Personally I am Linux user myself. Still I've used Macs in the past and there really isn't anything special about them. To me they just seem like regular old computers with a different looking Unix-Like OS on them that just cost way too much.

6. Nimbus

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom
    I like the hardware myself, on my Macbook that is

However I quint boot operating systems (OSX 10.5.8, Windows 7, Windows XP, Ubuntu Linux, and Linux Mint KDE Edition). I use a bootloader called rEFIt to do so.

On the price, yes they are expensive, but even so they still seem to be very good, and my customer service experience with Apple has been nothing but good.

Truthfully, I've had only one significant failure, my Logic Board (That be the Mac's motherboard) did die a few months ago, however that was due to a heatpipe failing, which caused the logic board to overheat, and that could have happened to any Mac. However I set up a Genius Bar appointment, took it in. They said they would have to send it off, said it would be about a week...boy that was wrong.

It took them only a single day from after they sent it off to repair it. The parts needed came in the same day, they had it fixed, shipped out via FexEX that same exact day and the next morning at 10:00 I had it in my hands. Epic customer service, just plain epic! On top of that, they also listed on the sheet that came with it that they had found some tiny scratches in the ram, and had replaced that free of charage (AppleCare protection plan FTW), and had also apparently completely replaced the plastic casing on it, which was news to me because I didn't have any cracks in it when I dropped it off.

If you do get a Mac/Macbook/Macwhatever, do make sure you get the AppleCare protection plan (It's like $100-200 extra) but it is well worth it. You may never have any issues like I did, but it never hurts to have something in place to cover them. My failure happened 2 years after I had bought my Macbook, so had I not gotten the AppleCare plan. I would have been SOL.

So, yes I think Macs are awesome, aside from the price of them. However no they are not infallible.

Edit: I didn't know that Cat boy was a Linux user.

7. scrtmstr

Member scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    tried macs a couple of times, and didn't like them. The OS is smooth and stuff, but it just feels to closed in my experience. I'm thinking about buying an Ipod, but i'm not going to buy any of the macs.

8. airpirate545

Member airpirate545 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Macs are pretty good, however in my experience its the Mac users I have problems with. A lot of Mac users I know don't ever stfu about how good their Macs are and how much Apple is better than Windows [​IMG]

9. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    Mac always seems to have compatibility issues, my friend has one and he always tries to install the same games I get yet most of them wont work. His Mac mite be old, not sure. Either way it looks sexy. I would say 6-8 but I don't own a Mac so I wont vote.

10. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I love my MacBook Pro. Thanks to Apple's dictatorship status, everything works nearly seamlessly and intuitive. In the event something goes wrong though, I'm lucky enough to have an Apple Store nearby. I prefer talking with someone face-to-face for technical support much more than explaining it over the phone.

Rated it a 9/10 because nothing is perfect. If you wanna call Mac OS X perfect, please tell me the name of its bundled Paint-esque program. Bonus points to whoever can justify the bulkiness of iTunes, and why it's a non-conforming Mac app.

11. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    After using macs for several years I can safely say they're terrible.

They're basically like a training potty you use before using the big kid potty.

Everything feels dumbed down and simpler on a mac, because it feels like things were designed for dipshits. Which may be nice for some people, but I hate when things are dumbed down.

The fact it had very few good games was a huge factor against it as well, but the savior Steam is changing that quickly.

Not to mention the best way to use a mac is by installing Windows.
    Which is lolworthy, because you might as well have bought a damn PC.

The fact that you pay huge brand fees for anything Apple these days is also a huge ding against 'em.

12. gameboy13

Member gameboy13 Orange and fluffy since 1995.

United States
    They are alright. I would much rather have a Windows or Linux PC than a Mac. FYI, I own a Windows PC.

13. Daku93

Member Daku93 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    I really like the Mac OS, but I don't like the prices of the Hardware itself!

14. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    I give a 5/10 maybe a 6/10 mostly because of hardware pricing. Yes I don't care if you have to say its worth it etc etc. My things usually last a long time anyways. Mac OSX I used a bit before and I'm not too impressed.

I haven't exactly used it a lot so eh might a bit biased.

15. xalphax

Member xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Croatia
    Although they are nice machines, a pleasure too look at and work with, they have a terrible price-performance ratio.

16. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Add another function button.

17. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I have been using Linux Ubuntu and Linux Fedora for years now. I stopped using Windows back in 07.

18. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    I voted five. There's not much more a mac can do over a pc.

19. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    I love the system (Though virtualization with other OSs is a must) but it's just too damn expensive. I gave it an eight, since I didn't think price should affect my rating too much.

20. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I have a Hackintosh, does that count [​IMG]

Personally I wouldn't have a Hackintosh if it wasn't so damn expensive to buy a Mac. Remove the Apple Tax please. I'll get a Macbook Pro for college in 2 years but until then I'll stick with my Win 7, Ubuntu, & Max OS X triple boot.

The OS is very nice; sleek, clean, and just plain fast. I wouldn't go back to Windows if it wasn't for some guilt and games. Startup and shutdown on my Hackintosh is faster than my Win 7 installation.

For those of you voting low due to lack of applications, you can find an alternative for Macs and most of the time they're free. If you can't, you can use WineBottler. Its like Wine on Linux but on a Mac.