Opinions! Do you think that the 3DS can really play pirate?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by chris888222, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris888222
    OP

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    I didn't see any thrend about this... So I want to come up with this to hear your views if the 3DS really can be hacked/play pirated stuff. Correct me if there're thrends like this. (note: I am not talking about features of a hacked 3DS or whatsoever)

Based on Nintendo and THQ, they claim that nintendo has sophisticated anti-piracy. Saying that it is too sophisticated to explain, amazed by the technology... Blah blah blah...

After hearing this, I came out with 2 wild guesses. Either nintendo is really investing a LOT on AP (which I highly doubt is possible, just look at the DS Lite/DSi!) or maybe they are trying to 'scare' pirates and THQ is probably licking nintendo's ass. (yuck)

So... What do you think? Do you really think nintendo is serious about AP and feel that the 3DS cannot be hacked? Or maybe nintendo is just implanting more useless measures which can easily be dealt with?

I heard from another post saying that they are using automatic firmware updates for AP. How do you think? Do you really think it can be hacked?

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

NOTE: please do not say that due to DSiWare not being hacked, it's not possible to hack the 3DS. Please also don't say no because I don't support piracy or whatever. I just want to hear your views whether it is possible or not.

2. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    Derp derp? Of course they are going to try to protect the 3DS as much as they can, seeing how bad they've been burned in the past they have a fucking vested interested to keep piracy of their systems at all costs. It would be fucking retarded to assume otherwise. But at this point its all pure speculation, which serves no purpose at all. Just wait tell the system is out and the hackers have a look at it. THESE THREADS ARE RETARDED!

3. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    The first version of the 3DS will definitely have some security holes. So be sure to grab it on launch day! [​IMG]

4. chris888222
    OP

Singapore
    So you are saying that I can't ask for opinions whether it can be hacked or not? I see everywhere on the page saying about features to expect, implemented measures and all sorts of other AP matters. But the question I'm asking now is based on looking at these posts, do you think it is possible to hack it? Forums are partly meant to be for sharing opinions, and I don't find that retarded at all. You may find it meaningless; I admit it too... But what's wrong with sharing views?

They should have improved features I believe.. But not that sophisticated.

5. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Nothing is perfect, so nothing is unhackable. Plain, simple, and does not need a thread to suggest otherwise.

6. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    Lets hope for this. The once mighty, unhackable PS3 had a blunder of a security hole discovered recently (basically, the keys left in the ignition and the door left open) . Maybe we'll get that lucky with our 3DS, then.
    If this [​IMG] is possible, then maybe this [​IMG] is possible !

7. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    They should have had the random number generator always equal 42.

8. chris888222
    OP

Singapore
    Imo actually, what nintendo and THQ said about the tech of the 3DS AP is just going to make pirates even more confident and ready to go.

Anything is hackable I believe, even the ps3; which is considered REALLY sophisticated. Nintendo may work on the automated updates, but there is always some way to stop it I believe? Automated updates sound extremely wrong also, at least reminders whether you want to update is more appropriate!

9. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    Yeah, somebody forgot to tell Sony that computers are not actually capable of generating a truly random number. That shocks me because, even though I'm not a programmer, I knew that (its common sense -- computers are machines and thus incapable of spontaneity). Like someone said earlier, somebody at Sony will be looking for work soon.
    (hopefully, Ninty won't get the news about this "Epic Fail") [​IMG]

10. chris888222
    OP

Singapore
    [/quote]
    Yeah, somebody forgot to tell Sony that computers are not actually capable of generating a truly random number. That shocks me because, even though I'm not a programmer, I knew that (its common sense -- computers are machines and thus incapable of spontaneity). Like someone said earlier, somebody at Sony will be looking for work soon.
    (hopefully, Ninty won't get the news about this "Epic Fail") [​IMG]
    [/quote]

That's really an epic fail.

11. darkriku2000

Member darkriku2000 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I hate the word unhackable. Whenever somebody says it, I always correct them and say "hasn't been hacked yet". Nothing is unhackable, and if you say it is, you're doing nothing but issuing a challenge and many will be happy to prove you wrong.

It's like the titanic when the said "God Himself cannot sink it", I bet at some point somebody will say "God Himself cannot hack it" and than somebody will drop an ice cube on the system and every game released for it will suddenly be in it's on board storage...

I'm too sleepy to make jokes.

12. Raiser

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    QFT. Every game system that people care to hack has been hacked; including the long-standing unhacked PS3.

/thread.

13. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    Why not, it's a perfectly valid argument. The fact that DSiWare has not bee hacked shows that Nintendo are becoming even more capable of protecting their system. You should assume that similar and better measures have been taken to protect the 3DS. In my opinion, the DSi was nothing more than a test bed to let Nintendo know how well their new AP measures will work.

Also I agree with the many HB coders out there, that the main (and it seems ONLY) thing stopping the PS3 from being hacked, was the fact that it could run homebrew from the start, with very little restriction. If Nintendo added a homebrew channel to the 3DS, you can bet that it wont get hacked for a long time. History has shown, that hackers and pirates are two entirely different groups of people, Sony learned that and had an unhacked system for two years, until they removed 'OtherOS'. Now, Nintendo need to learn that, if homebrew coders were ALLOWED to code on the 3DS, piracy might not happen.

14. Arithmatics

Member Arithmatics I'll be holding on to you. ;}

Malaysia
    Allowed as in like create a 3rd party dev kit?

P/S Even if the DSiWare hasn't been hacked naturally I'm assuming that people would be more hyped to hack the 3DS.
    Since it IS backwards compatible with the DSiWare.

Its like a banana. Why eat the new unriped ones when you can grab the ones at the top that are riper?

In this case why hack the DSiWare now when you can hack it AND the 3DS later (attempt).?

15. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    http://gbatemp.net/t257840-will-you-still-...can-t-be-hacked
    http://gbatemp.net/t269441-do-we-need-3ds-flashcards
    http://gbatemp.net/t263756-3ds-flashcart
    http://gbatemp.net/t259233-3ds-hacking-idea
    http://gbatemp.net/t255844-rather-idiot-opinion-but
    http://gbatemp.net/t257801-3ds-could-featu...p;#entry3169460
    http://gbatemp.net/t257706-nintendo-execut...ckers?&st=0
    http://gbatemp.net/t233465-how-long-till-the-3ds-is-hacked
    http://gbatemp.net/t239869-3ds-may-spell-e...y-s-piracy-woes
    http://gbatemp.net/t244159-nintendo-3ds-anti-piracy-theory

So... yeah. Those threads,well, theyre also about general 3DS piracy/hacking. And full of opinions.

Just throwing it out there. [​IMG]

Also-----------

By that banana theory, you are saying they should hack the dsiware/dsi first, yes?

16. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    It's pretty ridiculous the number of times people have to explain how naive this statement is. I'm sure there are others out there who know all the technicalities behind it, but speaking from a purely logical standpoint, why wouldn't Nintendo invest a lot on AP?

17. chris888222
    OP

Singapore
    Yeah, those are posts/threads that I have read. That's why I started this thread to share your opinions here as the title states all while the others just have general info/theories as their title. Thank you for being polite though, unlike the first reply [​IMG]

The reason I think why DSiWare was not hacked is due to the lack of interest. Think about it, if pirates can hack the ps3 (now even xbox 360 slim!), why not DSiWare? [​IMG]

If they did invest a lot on AP, the DS Lite would already take ages to come out with a flash cart; however, my main point here is not whether Nintendo invests a lot on AP (although it is stated at what I wrote). It is that they have over-exaggeration over the 3DS's AP tech (therefore making me think that they invested a lot), claiming that it is so sooooo sophisticated which I highly doubt is possible. [​IMG]

18. spinal_cord

United Kingdom
    Pirates don't do the initial hacking, hackers do, for the soul reason of running their own code. Pirates then steal the methods and use them for piracy. FYI HACKERS hacked the PS3 NOT PIRATES. Using someone elses work is NOT HACKING. The fact that the PS3 went so long without being hacked proves the fact that HACKERS have no interest in PIRACY.

19. chris888222
    OP

Singapore
    Does that make pirates partially involved? Just asking. [​IMG]

20. spinal_cord

United Kingdom
    Only AFTER the fact. If there were no hackers, there would be a hell of a lot less pirates. So if there was no reason to hack a system, hardly anyone would pirate on it, as they wouldn't know how to.

I wouldn't be surprised if hackers had opened up the DSi a long time ago and will only release the info AFTER the 3DS is out, as there would be less popularity among pirates. As many people have commented about the CycloDSi and this (yet to be proved) channel hack "who cares! the 3DS will be out soon anyway".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.