Opinions about U.S. martial law?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by GeekyGuy, Oct 21, 2008.

Oct 21, 2008
  1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    So, recently it's been in the news that W.'s military has assembled a special forces to allegedly deal with homeland security. Due to economic turmoil in the States (and its effects worldwide), there were threats made to congress that if they didn't vote for the now passed "Bailout Bill," martial law would be declared in this country.

Thing is, many speculate that if this economic crisis isn't reeled in by the time of the next elections, Bush might take measures to prolong his stay in the White House. I'm not clear on all the facts, so I'm eager to hear from folks who have perhaps been keeping track of politics as of late (which I purposely try to ignore...usually). What are your thoughts about what's going on? And what do you think of the real possibility that Bush could or would try to usurp the presidency from the next rightful office holder?

2. kremmy

Newcomer kremmy Member

United States
    While it's an interesting idea, if Bush (or any president) tried that there would be armed revolt in the streets. He'd need a much, much better approval rating to even entertain the thought.

3. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Yeah, I can definitely see your point. However...his deploying of troupes within the States and past track record with dealing with what would otherwise be best done politically seem to hint at at least a whiff of military dictatorship (in democracy's clothing). [​IMG]

4. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    Fuck the poh-lice.

[​IMG]

seriously though, fuck martial law.

5. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    What troops would he deploy? The vast majority of our military is overseas. Not just Iraq and Afghanistan, but also keeping a foothold in places like South Korea, Germany and Japan. You can't pacify 300,000,000 people with 30,000 troops.

6. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    [redneckvoice]Yesh I can! With the power of my frooty loops and PS2 light-gun![/redneckvoice]

but yeah, Bush is retarded. If he called marshal law or usurped the next presidency position, do you really think the rest of the country (and world) would merely stand there and take it like a bitch slap?

7. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    You can, though.

The military has guns, bomb,s and other weapons/forms of massive intimidation.
    They also have superior propaganda which would probably sway at least 100,000,000 of those people.

Using things of that nature, unless Americans stopped being so damn submissive to the government and staged massive riots, it might work.

8. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    This is the good old US of A. It's not just the government that has guns, bombs, etc.

9. kikuchiyo

Member kikuchiyo 大阪に生まれた男

United States
    Anyone who thinks there will be martial law in the streets of the U.S. any time soon is a child, ignorant, or a libertarian (which is mostly a combination of the first two).

If you want to be believe such fantasies, go live in the hills in Montana and print your own money.

The government is our slave and it is not acting that way at all - but it's not stealing our rights with martial law, its slowly eroding them by allowing warrant-less wiretaps and obscene punishments for copyright infringement.

Though if there were martial law in the U.S., if you think your shotgun is going to stand up to the U.S. army, go back to watching The Biggest Loser and your cold Budweiser.

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Maybe not against any of the fun units but having seen how well most cannon fodder/national guard units (which would be most of them and these are the ones who would undoubtedly do most of this "martial lawing") can shoot and can assess a tactical situation these days; most infantry weapons/light arms from the first ones made following world war 2 and upwards have been designed for the "many bullets, mid range, hope one hits" principle along with the usual make it as cheap as possible...... suffice it to say I would be placing a bet on the guy with an expensive, well maintained, well adjusted shotgun who spends the odd weekend training/hunting and knows the terrain.

Back on topic I have not been paying much attention, the politicians seem to have beaten the laws of the universe (I thought all the time meant all the time but I was wrong by the looks of things) and seem to be spewing more crap then ever before.

11. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    And for anyone unarmed and untrained who wants to change that...AK47s are easy and cheeeap.

12. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Martial Law would never work in the U.S. The states would just secede.