Hardware Please help pick best options for new game laptop!

Is this good?

• Total voters

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the ti is not a big enough increase to justify it as an upgrade over the stock 1050. the 1050 is perfect for 1080p at high settings at 60fps (most games out now) Someone mentioned mass effect Andromeda but that game is a poorly coded pos so of course it will need more resources to run. If this laptop is a regular stock 1050 and actually has 4gb of vram then you are literally going to get a few frames more from a ti card.

if you want emulation than the processor is more important and the i7 with a 1050 is a far better investment than an i5 with a 1050ti. in fact just having a dedicated gpu will dramatically increase performance due to implentation of vulkan in emulators like n64 and up. if you do stuff like overwatch or counterstrike go and other light gaming stuff than the 1050 is more than enough on that front as well. if you want longevity expect all the laptops you are considering to last no more than 5 years as far tech is concerned (the asus is a far better brand than dell though so the build quality and better screen will make your experience more satisfying and less likely to fail before the tech becomes obsolete)

I honestly have no idea why people are acting like the ti is godly compared to the regular 1050

Last edited by J-Machine, , Reason: forgot about vulkan
D

Deleted User

the ti is not a big enough increase to justify it as an upgrade over the stock 1050. the 1050 is perfect for 1080p at high settings at 60fps (most games out now) Someone mentioned mass effect Andromeda but that game is a poorly coded pos so of course it will need more resources to run. If this laptop is a regular stock 1050 and actually has 4gb of vram then you are literally going to get a few frames more from a ti card.

if you want emulation than the processor is more important and the i7 with a 1050 is a far better investment than an i5 with a 1050ti. in fact just having a dedicated gpu will dramatically increase performance due to implentation of vulkan in emulators like n64 and up. if you do stuff like overwatch or counterstrike go and other light gaming stuff than the 1050 is more than enough on that front as well. if you want longevity expect all the laptops you are considering to last no more than 5 years as far tech is concerned (the asus is a far better brand than dell though so the build quality and better screen will make your experience more satisfying and less likely to fail before the tech becomes obsolete)

I honestly have no idea why people are acting like the ti is godly compared to the regular 1050
This. All this. This guy knows what he is talking about.

J-Machine

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Game on a pc, or a switch. i7 is too much for 1050.
the bottleneck is a moot point since we are dealing with a mobile processor and a gpu with more than enough vram to handle the movement of data efficiently. even then i'm pretty sure OP isn't using this laptop in a way that would push it to it's limits given what has already been said by them. (at least not for a few years)

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OP asked about a laptop, not a desktop/switch.

Go make some shitthreads in the EOF, Normal forums are to much for you.
Rog is overpriced and one should only consider those with better spec, say gtx 1060. And This one is bound to be the heavy bulky type simply due to its H series processor.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bottleneck
I had to look up the meaning of the word since i thought we was actually discussing a bottle. :P

Turns out is a engine lingo to describe the important part of the systems operations. Anyway, i haven't bought a new pc in about 5 years, the current one has few cracks and wear on it, and the main problem is the fan fails to work. It works when it wants to, and i am not really qualified to disassemble and fix it. I was originally gonna just get it repaired by some repair center close by cause of no more warrent, but i noticed a increase in emulation and more exclusive games for pc that the one i have isn't qualified for it due to that bad on board Intel HD graphics driver override the installed graphics card. Whatever the reason is, is outdated and unqualified by modern standards for now and i just need a better one.

Weather or not this one specifically is enough i was just hoping on feedback since i found it to be of a gaming branded variety rather than common home or work office use. The last link i found is i guess okay and slight cheaper, but i never heard of the brand sager before to know much of it, but asus and republic of gamers i noticed are sponser to lots of youtube and twitch streamers, normally you would find it relevant that it connects well together. Basically i just need the important stuff.

• 17 Inch screen
  • High performance graphic GTX variety for game stream on my shield devices would be nice at best setting. (Not monitor output or any higher than 1920X1080)
  • Least 1TB of storage with 7200RPM
  • A good cooling system to last with no risk of overheat.
  • High performance processor for obvious reasons.
  • Anything else to ensure safety for long use.
Weather or not this can all cost for less than $1100 is unknown to me but if i can get close enough to these details it be nice. i don't care for 4K gaming, i do want lots of storage and stable framerate, and graphics isn't as important to me as being able to play a game.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you had the patience, wait for zen-vega apu (4 core 8 thread paired with 1024 vega cores). Pretty much a superior Macbook 15 with touchbar with all the ports and functions, but low prices.

Enlapse

Trophies
XP
Country
If you want my opinion, I think it's quite good. The laptop I was looking for had this settings for over 900€+- (mostly reaching 1000€, I don't remember).
  • 15 inches (17 inches was available but much more expensive).
  • 8 GB DDR3.
  • nVidia 960M
  • i7 6700hq
  • 1TB HDD
If you can get something with (at least) 128GB SSD you'll be truly grateful.

Oh, and I didn't get that PC (was an MSI if i'm not wrong).

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India

That's where you're wrong man. The 1050Ti is a HUGE jump over the 1050 for the price. Have you even seen the benchmarks? In most games, the 1050Ti easily averages from 10 to 20fps over the 1050. In many cases, it makes all the difference between playable and unplayable. That is HUGE. Read the conclusion or just go over the benches, you should get what I'm saying- http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2658-gtx-1050-ti-and-1050-review-benchmarks-vs-460-more/page-7
The 1050Ti in the laptop form for the Dell easily warrants an upgrade for the price.

As for emulation, depending upon how optimized the emulators are for multiple threads will make a better case for the i7, if optimized for.

Last edited by raystriker,

J-Machine

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
with a laptop what you want as far as streaming is concerned would be a tougher sell. It's doable but you'll need to bring down the settings for games that are more processor heavy. Of course you could also upscale for the stream I suppose. either way a competent gaming laptop setup that streams is hundreds more than what you are looking at right now.

For everything else though... Everything you have been looking at can do those things. I just really hate the screen on the dell so I'd say don't buy it. At the end of the day though nobody is truly satisfied with their rig if they want high end anything and judging by your last set ups stats I would wager you are used to doing things in 30fps so the 1050 will feel like riding a Cadillac compared to that.

You could wait for the zen based APU from AMD coming round the fall but we don't know how that will perform for gaming or what kind of builds it will be put in and for what price. In my opinion it's not worth it for what you want out of your laptop

J-Machine

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's where you're wrong man. The 1050Ti is a HUGE jump over the 1050. Have you even seen the benchmarks? In most games, the 1050Ti easily averages from 10 to 20fps over the 1050. In many cases, it makes all the difference between playable and unplayable. That is HUGE. Read the conclusion or just go over the benches, you shold get what I'm saying- http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2658-gtx-1050-ti-and-1050-review-benchmarks-vs-460-more/page-7
The 1050Ti in the laptop form for the Dell easily warrants an upgrade for the price.

10 frames when you are already pulling 60fps on a monitor that won't show off anything higher than that is just silly e-peen jerking. besides the most important factor in the TI for desktop cards (which is what your link is comparing; not laptop cards) is the extra vram and not the cuda cores or clock speed. the laptop he wants has 4gb of vram so the difference is even less especially when you consider the laptop ti performs 5% less than the desktop counterpart. game on high settings and the stock 1050 with 4gb of vram will easily give you smooth 60fps. When you add to that that the OP hasn't had a gaming config in over 5 years and is probably used to 30fps on light resource games or consoles and You will see that the options he is showing us will blow his expectations out of the water to do more would burn a hole in his pocket and won't net him a sizable return as far as tech obsolescence is concerned. We are in a renaissance period for GPU development as far as price to performance is concerned so in 5 years we are going to see gains that will make the 1080 ti be considered obsolete so why bother blowing another 200 to get a 1060 or another 50 to get the 1050 ti (which would only net OP a few extra frames per second)

Last edited by J-Machine,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you had the patience, wait for zen-vega apu (4 core 8 thread paired with 1024 vega cores). Pretty much a superior Macbook 15 with touchbar with all the ports and functions, but low prices.
You're comparing Apples and CPUs here. Just because a system has a given CPU doesn't mean it'll automatically have "all the ports and functions".

I usually recommend ThinkPads for reliability, though most of them don't have high-end GPUs. RoG-branded systems are on my blacklist due to personal experience with them failing to start after only a few months.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You're comparing Apples and CPUs here. Just because a system has a given CPU doesn't mean it'll automatically have "all the ports and functions".

I usually recommend ThinkPads for reliability, though most of them don't have high-end GPUs. RoG-branded systems are on my blacklist due to personal experience with them failing to start after only a few months.
I think typical ports over thunderbolt is a fine trade off. On the gpu side, top tier zen apu should have something on par with radeon pro 460, a gpu with 1.9 TF at 35w made by Amd and superior to ps4 on a relatively light laptop. And it's going to be made with Vega over Polaris.
Thinkpad drivers sucks, but build quality is solid (my x1 tablet shipped with broken sensors and there are still driver problem with trackpad).

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
10 frames when you are already pulling 60fps on a monitor that won't show off anything higher than that is just silly e-peen jerking. besides the most important factor in the TI for desktop cards (which is what your link is comparing; not laptop cards) is the extra vram and not the cuda cores or clock speed. the laptop he wants has 4gb of vram so the difference is even less especially when you consider the laptop ti performs 5% less than the desktop counterpart. game on high settings and the stock 1050 with 4gb of vram will easily give you smooth 60fps. When you add to that that the OP hasn't had a gaming config in over 5 years and is probably used to 30fps on light resource games or consoles and You will see that the options he is showing us will blow his expectations out of the water to do more would burn a hole in his pocket and won't net him a sizable return as far as tech obsolescence is concerned. We are in a renaissance period for GPU development as far as price to performance is concerned so in 5 years we are going to see gains that will make the 1080 ti be considered obsolete so why bother blowing another 200 to get a 1060 or another 50 to get the 1050 ti (which would only net OP a few extra frames per second)

"10 frames when you are already pulling 60fps on a monitor that won't show off anything higher than that is just silly e-peen jerking."

Do you not comprehend the benchmarks? None of the AAA titles at 1080p (except Gears of War 4) see the 1050 come even minutely close to 60fps. Heck even the Ti misses that mark atmost by 10 fps. That's the desktop version, expect the laptop 1050 to do worse. If you're talking about e-Sports games, why bother even getting a 1050? Get a 960m or something.

"We are in a renaissance period for GPU development as far as price to performance is concerned so in 5 years we are going to see gains that will make the 1080 ti be considered obsolete so why bother blowing another 200 to get a 1060 or another 50 to get the 1050 ti (which would only net OP a few extra frames per second)"

Let's talk about 1080p yo. What the OP's resolution is going to be. Let's talk about absolute performance. Where does the 1080Ti even come in this conversation. Its not even relevant for 1080p.
Let me clear it for you how the GPU standings are- 1050 for eSport 1080p games, 1050Ti for High-Ultra AAA 1080p, GTX1060 for widescreen 2560x1080, 1070 for 1440p, GTX 1080 for widescreen 3840x 1440 and 1080Ti for 4K (well almost). These are how the desktop products are places, should give you a fair idea where the laptop products stand.

If you sincerely think that the OP should get the 1050, I totally respect that. But my recommendation stands for the 1050Ti, atleast for 1080p screens. Totally worth it.

Last edited by raystriker,

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What I'd expect from a 15'' zen-vega laptop at $750:
2 USB 3.0, 1 USB 2.0, 1 DP 1.4/ HDMI 2.0, 1 ethernet port, PD 2.0 USB C with connection or power supply, card reader, etc. It should play any game at 1080p with high or extreme setting with over 30 fps if not 60.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno what the stream people talking about, but i'm not using it for live broadcast to any kind, not youtube or twitch. If i want to record anything, i simply can buy a hardware video encoder capture device like this one.

I guess another question i forgot to ask is about the storage. Why are people recommending a SSD even with the inclusion of HDD? Having higher storage at lower cost would be getting HDD over SSD correct? :mellow:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P +1