Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was wondering what peoples opinion of valentines day was. I have heard some pretty strong opinions about the day in other places and I was wondering what the opinion of GBAtemps is.
I personally think its a day that is over-rated. That said, this is coming from someone who's valentines days previously were spent alone. It may be a wonderful day with my girlfriend but I still reckon that the pressure and significance of the actual day and the connotaions that come with it are very over-hyped.

And now i open the floor to everyone else.

Amici

ex trey, city skull, am I are?
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
It's overrated, but again if you're spending the day with your special someone with love 'supposedly' in the air, it's not like you need less reasons to spend time together.

Then again this comes from someone who's been in a stable relationship for 3 years. I imagine it'd be terrible any other way.

ineap09

Trophies
XP
Country
Guyana
I've never spent Valentines Day with a sweetheart.
frown.gif

I think it's okay. Valentines day is like Wedding Anniversary #2™ for those who are married, so that's nice.

For those who are dating, it's a good opportunity to take your relationship to another level.

For those who want to date, it can be just the boost of confidence they needed.

For those alone, it's a time of depression as you watch everyone else in love.

Overall it doesn't seem that bad. I pretty much ignore it. I'm a non-sociable home-schooled kid, so I'm not around anyone who has even mentioned Valentines Day(I had forgotten about it 'till I saw this thread!)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It's overly commercialized, and overhyped by the media in order to sell stuff. The only purpose nowadays is to pressure people into buying gifts. Of course, when you're in love you see everything through rose-tinted glasses, but in that case you don't need extra incentive to be all lovey-dovey, and any excuse is a good one
happy.gif

BUY STUFF!!!

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As others have said, it's commercialized. Just like Christmas and every other holiday. Instead of it being about mainly about "spending time with loved ones (or in the case of christmas, family and friends), it's all about spending the most amount of money as possible. The more expensive, the better the gift.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure what I think of it, to be honest. On the one hand, I hate the corporate bullshit of it all, and frankly I don't see why you should feel obligated to show people you care. If you actually care you'd show them you love them every day, not just on some made-up special occasion.

On the other hand, it can give people the push they need to show people how they feel. It has the potential to bring people together and start something wonderful, and if it gives you the courage to tell that special someone what needs to be said, then fair play to it.

So I guess it depends on whether or not you already have that special someone in your life. If you're in a dedicated relationship it shouldn't be a big deal. If you've had your eye on someone for a while then it might be just the opportunity you need.

Of course I have something of a warped opinion since a lot of the girls I know start getting real friendly right about now, showing a worrying enthusiasm for my daily routine all of a sudden. Such as Sam suddenly commenting on everything I say on Facebook, etc.

Last Valentine's I sent a silver angel wing pendant to my friend Sian in New Zealand. I knew she was lonely and miserable for the day, so I thought I'd cheer her up. She always said she wanted wings to fly away from her problems, now she has them. Regretably they're not strong enough to fly her all the way back here, I've come to regret never asking her out, and now she's about as far away from me as she can get without moving to the sodding moon.
sad.gif

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Bullshit.

Like Veho said, it's commercialized. And it's bullshit. I love my girlfriend every single moment, not when some fat imaginary angel tells me to buy her stuff.
If lovers are really lovers, they don't need a particular day to be lovers. Lovers.
Imao, the only thing that day does is make a lot of single persons look down on themselves.

Fun fact: I'll still have to buy something for my girlfriend since she does believe in this shit.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Supreme Dirt said:
I hate valentines day.

What's worse is that I turn 19 a whole 2 weeks after, so I can't even drink away my depression.

It's called getting one of your friend's or maybe your parents, to pick you up some booze with the money you give them. That's what I did. I gave my friends or my parents money when I was like 16, and I'd just drink. Then again, I wasn't a stupid drunk either.

Besides, it's always a compliment when the people ask "Can I see some ID?"

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on if you have a significant other......if you don't, the day is meaningless or possibly just depressing. If you do, the day can be magical....or not.....depending on how you use that day.

Essentially though, it is just another day for businesses to sell people stuff they didn't really need. Personally, whether I have a girlfriend or not, I consider it useless simply because you don't get a day off from work for it. But then again, I never was a "holiday spirit" type of person anyway.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It should go back to it's roots, which is a holiday to give gifts for kids (small scale Christmas). Valentine's day has got out of hand nowdays and needs to go back it's origins and stay there. Also, with V-day returning to a kids holiday profits will increase dramatically.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning