Operencia: The Stolen Sun - Switch Giveaway

untitled-png.200002

Last week we published our review of the excellent Operencia: The Stolen Sun for Nintendo Switch:[prebreak]1[/prebreak] https://gbatemp.net/review/operencia-the-stolen-sun.1321

Zen Studio's latest title is a DRPG with beautiful art direction and fantastic graphics and we have an eshop code to giveaway to one lucky winner!

RULES: To enter the giveaway and have a chance of winning, all you have to do is post in this thread and tell us what is your favorite DRPG, and why?

The winner will be announced 1 week from today, on the 10th of April.

Good luck!

:arrow:Operencia: The Stolen Sun Official Site

[-EDIT-] Competition Now Closed - @eyeliner is the winner:

random.png

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Free stuff, why not? Me enter.

My favorite DRPG is Dark Spire, a severely underrated gem for Nintendo DS. Not very successful, overall rather forgotten, but (from what I understand) still beloved in small circles, this thing pretty much ignored all the trends and advancements in the genre that existed for the time, opting for hardcore, 80-s style experience both in spirit and difficulty. If you want to see the genre at its very core, all with amazing soundtrack and unique "pen-and-paper illustration" aesthetic, then it's the best game I can recommend.

Last edited by Pipistrele,

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does it have to be first-person to count as a DRPG? If not: Dragon Quest Monsters for Game Boy Color

Random generated maps felt like a real big deal full of endless possibilities back in the day (at least for me as a kid). Also I loved the music, monster art and many, many nods to the Dragon Quest franchise. I spent hundreds of hours breeding all kinds of powerful monsters.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Not entering the give-away.

My favourite DRPG is Legend of Grimrock (both games are fantastic). It was the first time that kind of game really got me hooked. This game really looks nice, and fun to see it on the Switch, I think it would be really enjoyable to play on the go!

shadowac

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
My favorite drpg is The Quest (by Redshift HU). It’s on mobile and desktop platforms.

The Quest made me fall in love with a genre I previously avoided quite foolishly. Playing it opened my eyes to a plethora of games I had been avoiding up until that point. This is why, flawed as it is, and with the added bonus that it has been with me for many many hours everywhere I went, it will forever be a special game for me.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
[don't count this as an entry]
Does Might and Magic 7 Blood and Honor count here? Is first person, has the option for turn based, does involve several dungeons.

If we are doing oddball suggestions then I might say have a look at Class of Heroes on the PSP, and I believe there is now a port (possibly Japan only) for the Switch. Not the best game I have ever played by any stretch but did some interesting things with the concept if you can manage to get into the swing of things.

Reactions: Hmed and T-hug
D

Deleted User

The pokemon mystery dungeons entries were a nice, easy, pick up and play casual games I found.

Reactions: T-hug

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I would have to say that my favorite DRPG is easily Pokémon MD Explorers of Sky. I sank hundreds of hours into that game and got heavily invested in the story and even continued to play it long into the post game. I would to say what I enjoyed most about the game as fact that I got to play as the Pokémon, which was something I always wanted to do. Not to mention experience a Pokémon game with a story that straight up made me cry for a good couple of minutes after I finished it. It’s an interesting story, mixed with fun gameplay, and an adorable characters and I love everything about it.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
SNES's Arcana. Great time waster. And Reals of Arkania, but that becomes so hard it's almost masochism to keep playing.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
not entering the giveway either.
Good luck to the winner!
if it's an official publisher/developer choice, that's very kind of them!

I didn't play a lot of first person DRPG.
I remember Eyes of the beholder on Amiga! it's one of the first I played
I LOVED Shadowgate on NES too.
Both have their own place in my memory.
eeea411fe6009abeb4ea92b4c7ebae5c.png

I tried to play "My world, my way" on NDS, but it's so long and repetitive I never completed it.

One of the few I completed, and last one I really loved playing is "Labyrinth no kanata" (beyond the labyrinth) on 3DS!
beyond_the_labyrinth_screen_15.jpg

Last edited by Cyan,

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
Mine has to be Legend of Grimrock.
It provides countless hours of entertainment, it has a great atmosphere, gameplay and has some nice puzzles. Decent characters and a somewhat good story.
The story part isn't that great or at least it wasn't for me. The gameplay and atmosphere is the one that that will pull you in.
And if that isn't enough, it has a neat editor as well with which you can make your own adventures and share it with others or download the ones created by the community and game away. :)

NostalgicPoet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm kinda new to the DRPG scene, but I'm already really enjoying it! I vaguely remember playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeons: Blue Rescue Team, but my favorite (and the one I'm currently playing) is Mary Skelter: Nightmares. You can actually get it for free if you buy the second game on the Switch! I think the concepts behind the game are very unique. Each dungeon has a boss that will appear on the floors with you. If it spots you, you have to run away or knock it down, the second option being a lot riskier than the first. You get to kill it at the end of the dungeon, allowing you to explore more freely after that. It gives a sense of urgency and tension as you try to explore. Additionally, I really like the job system and the nods to fairy tales in the characters' names and powers.

Last edited by NostalgicPoet,

ShyPlox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of my favorite games till today is dark cloud 1, It’s an old game on the ps2 and remastered for PS4, I’ve waited years just to play that game again, the reason why I like it so much was because it was one of my first games ever on ps2 and also the first dungeon rpg game I ever played and started to love rpg type games, now I no this game was more action than turn base and it lacked a character level system however it still have tons of rpg elements that made it great, whati really loved about this game was everytime you enter the dungeon it was randomly generated and some dungeons levels had a chance to spawn giant chests that gave you the option to choose between 2 gifts, normally you always get a weapon from these, sometimes cheats where trapped or mimics, not the mention your weapons had a chance of breaking so you couldn’t just run into any dungeon you had to prepare for it, healing items and repair powder at the start of the game because if your weapon ever broke you won’t be able to repair it, but anyways those are the reasons why I loved that game so much, good luck everyone!

Last edited by ShyPlox,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
etrian odyssey - no doubt! I've beaten part 1, and I'm in the last stratum of part 2. I think I'm in the stratum before the last in part 3. part 4 -- lost my save -- stupid gateway! ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: He's right behind me, isn't he?