OP
Trophies
Website
mirbystudios.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
556390_372103736182672_1709334961_n.jpg

Recently Nintendo-Gamer interviewed Hiroyuki Takahashi of Camelot Software Planning. Here's the relevant excerpt from the article.
NG: Camelot also made the amazing Golden Sun. Dark Dawn ended on a massive cliffhanger. Any plans to tell us what happens next? Don’t keep us hanging!

HT: I’m very pleased that you enjoyed Dark Dawn. RPGs take a very long time to make and need a lot of effort. As you will appreciate if you have played the game, the number of ideas that went into the story was rather substantial. When writing a story like that for a Golden Sun game, I really feel like I am pouring my soul into it and when I am finished, I always feel really drained. Everyone else working on the project also really devoted themselves to it, treating it like their life’s work. So it really is a huge encouragement to us to get a positive reaction from the people who play the game.

A big reason for us making RPGs comes from the requests from all the people who have enjoyed our RPGs in the past. Perhaps if there are enough Nintendo users asking for another game in the Golden Sun series, then this will naturally lead to the development of such a game.

Speaking personally from the perspective of the story, I think that honestly it may not be so likely because Golden Sun really requires a full effort to be put in. But of course, if there are enough people saying that we really must create another game, then we may just have to listen to them. Still, you would need to give me a bit of time to work on ideas for the story before we could release a fourth game in the series.
In response to this, a group of people took the reins and formed Operation Sunrise, a group dedicated to getting the fan input to Camelot for this game to happen.

If you played Dark Dawn, you'd know it was a rather poor excuse for a Golden Sun game; it was easy, you really got moved along places, there were 2 points of no return, etc etc etc. You'd also know that it ended on a cliffhanger with the words "The End?"

You can sign the petition that Operation Sunrise set up here.

It already has the backing of Operation Rainfall, which as you know successfully brought Xenoblade and The Last Story to North America (and I think they're getting Pandora's Tower here too, or close to it), so they've got a good ally in their corner.

I just figured that I'd bring it up here, to try to help. :3

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The name Operation Sunrise is really vague, as I initially thought the topic was about a new Boktai game in the works until I saw the full title (you know, because of the sunlight mechanics from the first three games).

Reactions: 1 person

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
The name Operation Sunrise is really vague, as I initially thought the topic was about a new Boktai game in the works until I saw the full title (you know, because of the sunlight mechanics from the first three games).

LOL Same. I think Django is gone for good though.

Moreover, I played all of the Golden Sun games and they're quite fun so I'd be up for a fourth entry into the series.

D

Deleted User

Project Rainfall was also vague, but who cares? Golden Sun rules. *supports*

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I'd love to see another Golden Sun game. But it needs to fix the problems of Dark Dawn, namely, the game was too easy, the story didn't make much sense at the start and there was little character development.

Reactions: 1 person

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't think a sequel was actually up in the air, I just figured it was an eventuality. You can't leave a bestselling series with a blatant cliffhanger and just move on to something else. Sure, the game was never going to perform as well as the massive ad campaign wanted it to, especially since they expected fans to be okay with a much easier game and a near-complete rewrite of the world's map and history while still calling itself a sequel, but that's hardly enough of an excuse considering that it did well anyways.

Also, you've got the facts mixed about Operation Rainfall. While I certainly won't say that they're the ones who deserve all the credit, they helped get Xenoblade here, and The Last Story is less than 4 weeks from its US release. Pandora's Tower is the one that hasn't been scheduled for a US release.

If Camelot's looking for fan signatures to get Golden Sun 4 off the ground, they're not getting my support. It just shows that after two years of thinking on it, they still haven't found a way to continue from the last game in a way they're confident enough to run with. You don't go into making a series of games without direction, and from what I'm seeing here, they don't have one. At this point I'm confident that GS4, if it's made, will actually be worse than Dark Dawn.

Mirby

BDFF Hype~ :3
OP
Trophies
Website
mirbystudios.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
I didn't think a sequel was actually up in the air, I just figured it was an eventuality. You can't leave a bestselling series with a blatant cliffhanger and just move on to something else. Sure, the game was never going to perform as well as the massive ad campaign wanted it to, especially since they expected fans to be okay with a much easier game and a near-complete rewrite of the world's map and history while still calling itself a sequel, but that's hardly enough of an excuse considering that it did well anyways.

Also, you've got the facts mixed about Operation Rainfall. While I certainly won't say that they're the ones who deserve all the credit, they helped get Xenoblade here, and The Last Story is less than 4 weeks from its US release. Pandora's Tower is the one that hasn't been scheduled for a US release.

If Camelot's looking for fan signatures to get Golden Sun 4 off the ground, they're not getting my support. It just shows that after two years of thinking on it, they still haven't found a way to continue from the last game in a way they're confident enough to run with. You don't go into making a series of games without direction, and from what I'm seeing here, they don't have one. At this point I'm confident that GS4, if it's made, will actually be worse than Dark Dawn.
such pessimism... when i signed the petition i made sure to say that it should be better than dark dawn and how to go about doing that (as have countless other signatures on the same petition). in addition, the article excerpt i posted shows that they find making a golden sun game to be a draining experience and they want to hear from the fans. that would be the motivation they need to get back on it (the drain would also partially explain the seven year wait between TLA and DD). also they didn't specifically ask for fan signatures (something you said as if they did), they just want to hear from the fans. a petition and the operation itself just serve as a handy organizational tool to that end.

as for the fact mix-up, that's what i get for copypasting what i posted on other sites regarding this without fixing that error first. it has now been fixed.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

a new boktai would be nice
This. I thought it was about Boktai :( Well, hopes shattered.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Done. Signed. Donated. Whatever! I love Golden Sun and would love another in the series, though I doubt it will be able to live up the The Lost Age. Man that game was awesome.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Damn, I'm sick of this developer bullshit.

Step 1) Leave game on a cliffhanger.
Step 2) Say that you don't know if you'll make another game unless there is enough fan support.
Step 3) Decide that it's never enough.
Step 4) ??????
Step 5) Never make the game and call it good.

Just make the game. I really hate developers these days. It's bad enough it took them over half a decade to develop a new Golden Sun game. At least have the decency to follow through.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol